CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-15-2013, 11:21 PM   #41
Ben Norris

Profile:
Re: How thorough is the crossfit games drug testing? Surely some athletes are doping

Why test at all? Just make it open season and allow athletes to use whatever they want. This completely solves the problem.

And to people who say it is not fair that is rubbish. Its not fair that I do not have Rich Fronings genetics, its not fair that I have to work a full time job including spending time out field not training. Its not fair if a millionaire competes who has access to physios and massage therapists and the numerous other ways of enhancing recovery legally.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:58 PM   #42
Eric Lamontagne

Profile:
Re: How thorough is the crossfit games drug testing? Surely some athletes are doping

I was wondering how many posts it would take before someone raised the "level out the genetic field" argument. Even if jokingly.

In all seriousness though, on some level prize money wouldn't dictate whether or not individuals decided to use some sort of enhancement drug. Especially if they have the means to do so. Many might simply love the concept of winning. On the flip side, sports like rowing which do not carry prize monies are seemingly more clean. I'm sure some rowers did endurance boosting drugs given the nature of the sport, but it doesn't seem as visible within hat community.

Ultimately any sport based on performance and which heavily relies on maximal effort in strength and cardio runs the risk of those who seek gains in unnatural methods. It's the world we live in. I wish it wasn't so, but it is what it is.

I'm sure it already exists but I would like to see athletes sign a pact to train and compete clean. Have the sports community proactively sharing its efforts on outlawing doping. Similar to how mayoral candidates might sign a pact to campaign clean. Does that mean those individuals abide by it truthfully? Realistically, no. But I can hope
Old 08-16-2013, 07:02 AM   #43
Charles Golden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baggett View Post
So coming up with reasons why I dont think they are on is rediculous but just saying they are with no proof or reason other than they are the top guys seems rediculous to me. Most true competitors dont care if people are on, they just want to compete against the best.

BTW, the cost of designer ped's is way outside the amount most of these guys can afford. Im sure you all about this because you heard it on the news.

I apologize if I sound harsh about this but these type of accusations **** me off and just come across as sounding like your whining because you cant compete with them. Foe those who work hard to be accused is both a compliment and hateful at the same time. When I competed I wanted to compete against the best no matter what, it just took me longer to win Nationals and pro meets but I did it my way and can say I beat the best.
No need to apologize, we both have strong opinions and there's nothing wrong with that. I will point out though that I never said "yea there are guys using for sure."

My point all along has been that I think that any sport who only administers urine tests on certain dates that everyone knows about well in advance, is incredibly naive to call their sport "clean." To me, with that bar being so low, is like giving someone the answers to a test weeks before the actual exam. You only fail because you don't care or you're not very bright. I honestly don't care much whether the guys are doping, much like with baseball, football and basketball, I just want to see amazing performances and be entertained. It makes very little difference to me whether or not they're "natural" performances or not. The OP was just asking how thorough is the testing, and my contention is that if someone really wanted to cheat, it would be extremely easy.

As to the point of "whining because I can't compete with them," I don't need to hide behind a accusation of PED use as evidence I can't compete with elite level CFers. I'm average at best and don't have any misguided dreams of competing in Carson or even Regionals. I CF for the same reason I play pickup basketball or flag football, it's fun. I take it seriously about half the time but if it wasn't enjoyable I wouldn't do it.
Grace - 1:58 Fran - 3:55 CFT - 985
Old 08-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #44
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
Odd because the sport seems to be clean?

Or odd because there is ample opportunity to evade testing failure, i.e., it's so easy to get away with that everyone who might be using is getting away with it.

Odd because I find it hard to believe that none of the hundreds of individual competitors and thousands of team competitors have used any banned substances beyond stimulants. I think the more likely explanation is that some portion of that population has used anabolics/HGH/EPO-type stuff, but done it either outside the testing season or with drugs that don't show up on a simple urine test.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #45
Ben Joven

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Fleeman View Post
With a 275K first place prize, I would assume some athletes are at least using testosterone. Athletes could use testosterone injections to train and qualify for the open, regional and world championship and simply cycle off the injections before the championship round or before and after the regional round if there is drug testing at regionals.

Is there any way to keep athletes from doing this? What kind of drug testing do they do at the games? At regionals?

Very interested to know if there is anyway to keep the integrity of this sport intact.

If most all the riders in the Tour de France can dope, surely there are people getting away with it in the Crossfit community.
Statistics on PEDs for professional athletes (UFC, NFL, MLB, Olympics) is pretty high. Smart athletes and trainers cycle smartly on the off-season when they are not being tested, and then during the on season they try to maintain their strength, speed, explosive power.

For the most part testing atheltes is expensive, I believe MLB can test any of their athletes throughout the off/on-season, but UFC-on the other hand-can only test during training leading up to the fight.

Bottom line: PED's are more common than you think, not sure about the Crossfit games but I'm sure the organization that holds these events does not have the resources (money) to test throughout the whole entire year for thousands of entries.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #46
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

Okay, so I've been following this thread, but I had decided not to get involved, then this happened.

I was sitting on the couch in the gym today, eating my lunch and thumbing through the new issue of "The Box", when guess what I see. There's an add in the back for a website that sells testosterone and anabolic steroids. I'm not talking about cheesy pro-hormones or "loophole steroids"; I mean straight up injectable and oral testosterone.

So, what do you guys think about steroid companies advertising in CrossFit community magazines?
Old 08-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #47
Blaise Davis

Profile:

Don't want to get banned or hated or accuse anybody..... I just think by looking at the odds in todays world you would have to be a bit na´ve to think that nobody in crossfit does it weather it be in offseason or whatever....not accusing crossfit either but in another point of view saying it can test all these things and doing it is two different things as well

On the positive side...with a bunch of the publicity and attention these high level athletes receive you would think if one of them did do it, the person who supplied or help supply the athlete would have already came out or went to somebody to receive payment for the story and evidence...you would think people close to the athletes who knew they were doing it would say something as well

Last edited by Blaise Davis; 08-16-2013 at 09:15 PM..
Old 08-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #48
BMH

Profile:  

There is nothing new under the sun.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #49
Blaise Davis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise Davis View Post
Don't want to get banned or hated or accuse anybody..... I just think by looking at the odds in todays world you would have to be a bit na´ve to think that nobody in crossfit does it weather it be in offseason or whatever....not accusing crossfit either but in another point of view saying it can test all these things and doing it is two different things as well

On the positive side...with a bunch of the publicity and attention these high level athletes receive you would think if one of them did do it, the person who supplied or help supply the athlete would have already came out or went to somebody to receive payment for the story and evidence...you would think people close to the athletes who knew they were doing it would say something as well

On the positive side...with a bunch of the publicity and attention these high level athletes receive you would think if one of them did do it, the person who supplied or help supply the athlete would have already came out or went to somebody to receive payment for the story and evidence...you would think people close to the athletes who knew they were doing it would say something as well.....it would be equally na´ve for you to say they all did PEDs .....some got there naturally so if your not as good as them don't hate put in the work and discipline instead of complaining and you wont have anything to worry about
Old 08-16-2013, 11:01 PM   #50
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

With the price of good stuff being what it is, I would hope whoever is taking it in the off season is getting more than a sponsorship that gives them a free tshirt and paying for their entrance fee and maybe lodging / travel.

Especially when getting caught is a life time ban, huge PR negativity and all the other garbage getting caught brings.

Some people will use because they feel the only way to be competitive is by using.

And with all the different things out there where do you draw the line? Does an older guy on Test therapy (under dr supervision) get kicked because the Dr days he needs T replacement? At what age is that permitted or not permitted?

Urine tests aren't hard to fool if one really wants too. Maybe that is why certain countries have special Drs following them at competitions all with the goal of passing said drug test. And guys in the PL world don't always cycle off, just look at ways to fool the tests.

This discussion could go on for days. In the end until someone admits, who is a top competitor, to using or someone fails all we are doing is wasting 0's and 1's.