CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #31
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: How thorough is the crossfit games drug testing? Surely some athletes are doping

But look at what they were DQ'd for....it wasn't anabolics according to any of the reports I saw. The DQs were for stimulants of questionable efficacy. I find it a little odd that zero people have been busted for any of the readily-available anabolics or endurance-related drugs.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #32
Glenn Baggett

Profile:
Re: How thorough is the crossfit games drug testing? Surely some athletes are doping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Correct. That's the quote I got for urinalysis for USAPL doping control.
Just my take on this subject from someone who competed in a drug sport, powerlifting. If someone is using them, they are waisting their money or thay arent using the real stuff. I dont see any numbers, strength wise that show they use anything. Numberwise, none of the top competitors including Rich, wouldnt break the top 50 in either powerlifting or olypic style lifting in their weight class. This is not put anyone down but their numbers barely scratch the surface in these sports. If we loom at track and field as well as strongman or even long distance running then they still arent there and from that I make a small judgement based on performance.

As for they way they look, none of them are really thick or even carry that anabolic look that the bodybuilders have, even the lightweight guys. They have muscle but bw of 175-200lbs is not hars to have with the right training and diet which is not hard. Add to this the fact that these are the genetically gifted guys of the group then you get a better understanding of performance. Not everyone is blessed and CF is a mix of it all.

Not if you were talking epo or something like that then I would say you might be right. i could say maybe one or two may give it a go but with training being better and smarter, I just dont see it. Not trying to put down CF competitors but I havent seen one that give me the feeling thay are juicing. I grew up in that world and have a good feel for it but lightweight guys squatting 450 and dl 450 with mid 300 cleans with great conditioning doesnt strike me as anabolic, just a good safety in the SEC.....
Old 08-15-2013, 01:37 PM   #33
Charles Golden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baggett View Post
Just my take on this subject from someone who competed in a drug sport, powerlifting. If someone is using them, they are waisting their money or thay arent using the real stuff. I dont see any numbers, strength wise that show they use anything. Numberwise, none of the top competitors including Rich, wouldnt break the top 50 in either powerlifting or olypic style lifting in their weight class. This is not put anyone down but their numbers barely scratch the surface in these sports. If we loom at track and field as well as strongman or even long distance running then they still arent there and from that I make a small judgement based on performance.

As for they way they look, none of them are really thick or even carry that anabolic look that the bodybuilders have, even the lightweight guys. They have muscle but bw of 175-200lbs is not hars to have with the right training and diet which is not hard. Add to this the fact that these are the genetically gifted guys of the group then you get a better understanding of performance. Not everyone is blessed and CF is a mix of it all.

Not if you were talking epo or something like that then I would say you might be right. i could say maybe one or two may give it a go but with training being better and smarter, I just dont see it. Not trying to put down CF competitors but I havent seen one that give me the feeling thay are juicing. I grew up in that world and have a good feel for it but lightweight guys squatting 450 and dl 450 with mid 300 cleans with great conditioning doesnt strike me as anabolic, just a good safety in the SEC.....
Man I could not disagree more. I'm not accusing any elite level guys of doping but to say they aren't putting up impressive enough numbers or "look" big doesn't mean a thing. First, they're not focusing on any one aspect so to expect them to be seriously competitive (top 50) in another sport, or to use the fact that they aren't, as proof that they're not doping is ludicrous to me. Olympic level sprinters can't clean 400lbs, but that doesn't mean that they're all clean. Secondly, does Lance Armstrong or Bartolo Colon or Rafael Palmeiro "look" like PED users? With designer/synthetic PED's now I don't think you can just look at someone and say whether or not they're using. This isn't Mark McGwire's world of PED's anymore.
Grace - 1:58 Fran - 3:55 CFT - 985
Old 08-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #34
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Golden View Post
Man I could not disagree more. I'm not accusing any elite level guys of doping but to say they aren't putting up impressive enough numbers or "look" big doesn't mean a thing. First, they're not focusing on any one aspect so to expect them to be seriously competitive (top 50) in another sport, or to use the fact that they aren't, as proof that they're not doping is ludicrous to me. Olympic level sprinters can't clean 400lbs, but that doesn't mean that they're all clean. Secondly, does Lance Armstrong or Bartolo Colon or Rafael Palmeiro "look" like PED users? With designer/synthetic PED's now I don't think you can just look at someone and say whether or not they're using. This isn't Mark McGwire's world of PED's anymore.
LOL @ Big Fat Bartolo Colon
Old 08-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #35
Glenn Baggett

Profile:

So coming up with reasons why I dont think they are on is rediculous but just saying they are with no proof or reason other than they are the top guys seems rediculous to me. Most true competitors dont care if people are on, they just want to compete against the best.

BTW, the cost of designer ped's is way outside the amount most of these guys can afford. Im sure you all about this because you heard it on the news.

I apologize if I sound harsh about this but these type of accusations **** me off and just come across as sounding like your whining because you cant compete with them. Foe those who work hard to be accused is both a compliment and hateful at the same time. When I competed I wanted to compete against the best no matter what, it just took me longer to win Nationals and pro meets but I did it my way and can say I beat the best.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #36
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baggett View Post
Just my take on this subject from someone who competed in a drug sport, powerlifting.

All "I" am talking about in the bit you quoted was a fee for a test, so in not exactly sure what you're talking about here. But, I'm happy to discuss - maybe I'm just misunderstanding what's going on in your statement. Especially with the first sentence quoted above regarding "drug sport".

Was your federation untested? USPAL is tested in and out of competition. Again, I may just be misunderstanding what you've written.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #37
Paul Coomans

Profile:

The use of PEDs is incredibly wide spead. Just look at any bodybuilding board on the web and see the ratio of posts in the drugs section vs the other sections. Most of these people are not competitive BBers at all.

And I have to agree with Charles about using looks or lift numbers as any sort of indication to use is silly. There isn't an olympic coach in the world who'll say it's a good idea to train like a crossfitter to put up olympic level numbers. People were so surprised when they found out anabolics were part of the tour de france.. 'They don't look bodybuilders?' No **** you look and perform the way your training dictates.

I'm certainly not accusing anyone in particular. All I'm saying is that given the wide spread use of PEDs and the lack of a proper testing procedure is seems highly unlikely that everybody is clean.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #38
Glenn Baggett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
All "I" am talking about in the bit you quoted was a fee for a test, so in not exactly sure what you're talking about here. But, I'm happy to discuss - maybe I'm just misunderstanding what's going on in your statement. Especially with the first sentence quoted above regarding "drug sport".

Was your federation untested? USPAL is tested in and out of competition. Again, I may just be misunderstanding what you've written.
PL is rampant with drug use and the USAPL is also in on it. Their out of competition drug testing is a joke. They don't test like they say.... I know from personal experience.

Most of my talk was aimed at those(from earlier in the thread) who talk as if it has to be going on. My take on the competitors don't show the outward signs of even low dose usage. For some reason my not-so-smart phone quoted something I didn't intend too quote.

The cost of testing can be pervasive to the cost of the sport. I have to say that I think the sport is going in the right direction and hopefully will grow without the stumblings that PL had in the early 80's.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #39
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
But look at what they were DQ'd for....it wasn't anabolics according to any of the reports I saw. The DQs were for stimulants of questionable efficacy. I find it a little odd that zero people have been busted for any of the readily-available anabolics or endurance-related drugs.
Odd because the sport seems to be clean?

Or odd because there is ample opportunity to evade testing failure, i.e., it's so easy to get away with that everyone who might be using is getting away with it.

My take on drug use and testing is -
It's difficult to have a rational discussion because there is so much conjecture. No competitor in CrossFit has failed a test because of steroid use (only stimulant use, and probably inadvertent failure, i.e., I didn't know this prescription medicine would cause me to fail the drug testing).

There are two types who contribute to this conversation - those who are suspicious but have no experience with performance-enhancing drug use, and those who do have experience. It's difficult to have an objective conversation because I have doubts about how much non-users can contribute to the conversation, and for users to contribute to the conversation is to admit wrong-doing. I can't tell who I'm hearing from...

I'm an optimist/benefit-of-the-doubt kind of guy, so I like to believe that none of the competitors are using until proven otherwise.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #40
Chris Guillermo

Profile:

I'm assuming that the steroids that would be used would be the ones that aid in recovery/endurance, so quick question. Would steroids that were used from June to March (assuming they cycle off a few months before regionals start) still have benefits in May? They wouldn't be using at the games and the benefits for recovery wouldn't be present so wouldn't the volume at the Games hurt the athlete even more due to the lack of recovery aids?