CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 01-03-2014, 08:58 AM   #1
Beth Martino

Profile:
Masters "qualifier" weekend

It's not quite a Masters regional - but I suppose it's better than just grabbing the top 20 in the Open worldwide without any further qualification. It also helps to address some legitimate concerns about athletes qualifying with just one workout per week versus knowing they can handle the recovery issues involved with multiple workouts in a weekend. This is taken directly from http://games.crossfit.com/about-the-games/the-open (wfs):

Quote:
New in 2014 is the top-200 Masters athletes in each age division in the Open will be invited to compete in an additional round of qualification. There will be multiple workouts announced prior to Regionals and athletes will have one weekend to perform the workouts, have them filmed and submit their results. The top-20 athletes in each division will then advance to the Games.
Many will argue that it doesn't go far enough but I feel at least it's a step in the right direction.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:56 AM   #2
Michael Cook

Profile:
Re: Masters "qualifier" weekend

I agree it is a step in the right direction. Hopefully HQ will announce the date soon for the Masters Qualifier weekend so that people can plan their calendars accordingly.

It will be interesting to see how the Masters Qualifier WODs differ from the Open WODs.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:01 AM   #3
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

It's definitely a step in the right direction. Having Regional qualifiers for Masters probably won't be feasible for at least a few more years; at the very least, not for all age divisions. Masters participation was up significantly last year, but there were still regions where you had <10 participants in certain divisions, and still more places where you had few (if any) participants in certain divisions who posted scores that were worthy of consideration to move on to the next level.

You could probably field Regionals for the under 50 age divisions at this point, and maybe even the 50-54; however, I think it's going to be another 5-10 years before Masters participation will reach the point that you can field legitimately competitive fields in every Region for the 55+ age divisions.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:25 PM   #4
Vic McQuaide

Profile:

Its a step in the right direction. Wonder how many video submissions they will reject. Workouts will be harder, heavier and more skilled like a regional should be. Will week out the people with weaknesses in the game.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:48 PM   #5
Beth Martino

Profile:

Actually what's funny is I no longer see this information on the webpage I originally linked to, although it was DEFINITELY there this morning. I suspect someone may have updated the website early and they took the info down so that they could announce the changes officially. I saw someone else say that they'd seen a mention of "Cross Regional Wildcards" which has also been removed. The plot thickens...
Old 01-03-2014, 04:10 PM   #6
Adam Manery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth Martino View Post
Actually what's funny is I no longer see this information on the webpage I originally linked to, although it was DEFINITELY there this morning. I suspect someone may have updated the website early and they took the info down so that they could announce the changes officially. I saw someone else say that they'd seen a mention of "Cross Regional Wildcards" which has also been removed. The plot thickens...
Yup I saw that post earlier on the Regionals section but I no longer see it. They also mentioned that they will only be taking the top 48 in each region, even if some people drop out or go team i.e they won't ask the 49th guy to go compete. Not sure where I saw that though.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:30 AM   #7
Vic McQuaide

Profile:

wonder why removed? Wonder if they are just going to release more. Training for the open to get top 20 is way different than top 200. Dealing with injuries right now anyway. Wonder what type of workouts they might throw at the old guys in the extra workouts?
Old 01-06-2014, 02:02 PM   #8
John Drohan

Profile:

So my 147th out of 213 in my division last year would have got me into another qualifying round???? Lookout folks....
Old 01-06-2014, 04:22 PM   #9
Beth Martino

Profile:

Ahha - they have released the official announcement of the 2014 changes. Everyone should check out the article for the other changes, but here are the new Masters details (from http://games.crossfit.com/article/whats-new-2014 WFS):

Quote:
New Masters Qualifier

In the Open, Masters will compete against all other international athletes for the opportunity to advance to the next level of competition. Following the Open, the top 200 Masters athletes in each age division will be invited to perform four additional workouts.

The additional workouts will be released on Thursday, April 17, at 5 p.m. PST. Masters will have until Monday, April 21, at 5 p.m. PST, to submit their scores or video submissions from these workouts.

Masters athletes submitting scores must use a registered judge for each workout and have their performance validated by an affiliate. In addition, all four workouts need to be videotaped as Masters may be asked to submit one to four of these videos for review. Alternatively, Masters may elect to submit videos of the four workouts online following the same video submission guidelines from the Open.

Masters athletes will have five scores tabulated in order to determine their ranking in this competition: four scores from the additional workouts and one score based on their finish in the Open. The top 20 Masters athletes in each division will then be invited to compete in the 2014 Reebok CrossFit Games.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:38 PM   #10
John Drohan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Drohan View Post
So my 147th out of 213 in my division last year would have got me into another qualifying round???? Lookout folks....
Reading comprehension FTW! I guess it's top 200 worldwide which makes way, way, (one more way) more sense.