CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 10-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
Edmond Fenton

Profile:
Problems with Stability Snatch

First Time Poster Longtime reader,
I have been following the catalyst athletics 5 week strength program to increase my lift numbers but most importantly to try to ingrain the fundamental mechanics for the snatch and C&J. I have made some great improvements so far (week 3) but i can't seem to keep my feet in a solid, in-line position in the landing stance. Also as can be seen in the vid's the bar is not level coming up. (im thinking a hip flexibility issue there / unequal grip but again not sure).
Below are videos of snatch balance and me going bailing hard on a 150 snatch attempt.
All links are family/work safe.
Appreciate any comments.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwH7lBht50s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EQgQTRg4Mg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87NNqSp7wLc
Old 10-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
SP

Profile:  
Re: Problems with Stability Snatch

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread...33#post1077833 (WFS)

Follow these videos, do not use more weight than the bar until your technique is excellent. If you can't do it correctly with the bar what makes you think you'll do it with weight?
Old 10-14-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

One shoulder is higher than the other; that's why the bar is not level. I have the same issue. My right shoulder usually hangs lower than the left and it's been that way for at least 35 years that I know of. It's not the biggest thing to worry about.

The key thing with snatch balances is to pick a weight you can handle and yet is heavy enough to build confidence. Don't use a weight so light that it has no relevance to real lifting. Build motor memory and confidence with tough successes not near failures. And be patient.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
Edmond Fenton

Profile:

Thanks for the comments guys. Much appreciated. Funny i just got back from my chiro this morning and he noticed the same thing... low shoulder. Thanks for the link(cant get enough of this and reading the CFJ articles) I will be starting with the bar and working my way up slowly making sure i drill my footing and getting the muscle memory down. Your absolutely right no point in going for any heavy weights until I have a solid base to work from.
Thanks again
Ed
Old 10-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
Edmond Fenton

Profile:

[QUOTE=Lincoln Brigham;1100939]One shoulder is higher than the other; that's why the bar is not level. I have the same issue. My right shoulder usually hangs lower than the left and it's been that way for at least 35 years that I know of. It's not the biggest thing to worry about.

Have there been certain exercises you have done to strengthen/ stabilize the shoulder that have helped this problem?
Old 10-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

If I worry about it all it's to remind myself to keep the bar level, mostly during the pulling phase of the O-lifts.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

First video: play with grip width. If you're going to be that wide, get stronger in that position. (Press, ohs, zott press, etc)

Second video: Hard to see the feet, but the bail is just a result of not staying tight.

Third video: I want to say 100% bad foot position, but I'm sure there are other issues. The feet were the most glaring problem.

Overall: get stronger in the snatch position overhead. Probably best to get stronger everywhere. Stay tight in the hole. Work on foot position and always, work on flexibility.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
Adam Fisk

Profile:

You need to externally rotate your shoulders and a constant press on the bar.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #9
Donald Joseph McCauley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Fenton View Post
First Time Poster Longtime reader,
I have been following the catalyst athletics 5 week strength program to increase my lift numbers but most importantly to try to ingrain the fundamental mechanics for the snatch and C&J. I have made some great improvements so far (week 3) but i can't seem to keep my feet in a solid, in-line position in the landing stance. Also as can be seen in the vid's the bar is not level coming up. (im thinking a hip flexibility issue there / unequal grip but again not sure).
Below are videos of snatch balance and me going bailing hard on a 150 snatch attempt.
All links are family/work safe.
Appreciate any comments.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwH7lBht50s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EQgQTRg4Mg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87NNqSp7wLc
Edmond,

Looks like, as others have said, you've got a shoulder difference in level, maybe from an old separation injury. In any case, as far as the sn. bal., I might suggest you do some light behind the neck sn. grip presses or pussh presses and some b.n. sn. presses from the sn. squat. With all of these, use a mirror to check that you are keeping the bar level as you elevate it.

Also, make sure you squeeze your scapulae together and make a conscious effort to reach up with both shoulders when supporting the sn bal. or snatches overhead.

On your snatches, you are too far forward on your feet when you pull, which causes the bar trajectory to be forward and that causes the forward landing. Sweep the bar inward from the floor and stay in the rear of your feet through the 1st pull, the readjustment and as you start to accelerate the bar in the 2nd pull. Elevation onto the forefeet is an unconscious movement to guide the bar trajectory and to move the feet to the catch position.

CoachMc
Old 10-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #10
Jim B Smith

Profile:

I'd spend sometime on this site http://www.mobilitywod.com/. I'd be willing to bet if you work on your shoulder mobility you'll see amazing improvements.