CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 01-07-2009, 02:06 PM   #1
Kirez Reynolds

Profile:
snatch problems

I'm really frustrated with my olympic lifts. I'll save my own comments for now, just hoping to get some guidance.

Here's a good quality, short (1:07) video of a couple lightweight snatches on Vimeo, SAFE:

http://vimeo.com/2747650

Big thanks to Rayne Gray for the video!

What can I do to improve this movement?
Old 01-07-2009, 03:43 PM   #2
Robert Callahan

Profile:
Re: snatch problems

No expert here but I think that back needs to get locked a lot tighter. It looks very rounded at the start of each rep... It is harder to lock it in on snatches due to the wide grip, but I think you can still improve
Old 01-07-2009, 03:49 PM   #3
Helen Lawson

Profile:
Question Re: snatch problems

What is your complaint about the lift? Do you think you should be lifting more weight? Are you off balance?
Old 01-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
Chris Schaalo

Profile:

It's all in your starting position. Your back is too rounded for sure. You can also be further over the bar so that it's directly under your shoulder blades as opposed to under your shoulder joint. Check out some of Coach Rip's videos on deadlift starting position.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:45 PM   #5
Kirez Reynolds

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Lawson View Post
What is your complaint about the lift? Do you think you should be lifting more weight? Are you off balance?
There's a big forward swing on the 2nd pull -- like I'm bouncing it forward off my hips. The bar path looks like a backwards question mark.

I can power snatch about 195, which is less than my 205 lbs bodyweight. It's just a matter of learning correct form, and right now I have serious form problems. I'd like to see the bar go straight up my stomach, and have a faster, more vicious 3rd pull (so far I've never executed ANY 3rd pull. My only lifts are power snatch & power clean.) The weight isn't a concern --- once I get the movement right, I'll be in the mid-200s, especially if I get a strong receiving position.

My finishing position has my arms too far back, probably a consequence of that swing. If the movement proceeded more normally, I'd probably be comfortable catching it in a more vertical orientation.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
Kirez Reynolds

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schaalo View Post
It's all in your starting position. Your back is too rounded for sure. You can also be further over the bar so that it's directly under your shoulder blades as opposed to under your shoulder joint. Check out some of Coach Rip's videos on deadlift starting position.
Robert & Chris -- yes, you're right about the rounded back.

I'm surprised about the shoulders, though, that's abnormal for me. We were playing around and changing my starting position during these videos.

I don't think Rip's starting position on the deadlift is exactly optimal for the snatch. Greg Everett and I believe Burgener would have you start with a slightly more upright back. I understand Rip's starting position: maximal weight needs to be lifted hanging directly below the scapulae; otherwise the bar would swing (to come under the scapulae) as soon as the bar leaves the ground.

I do agree my shoulders should have been more forward. That rounded back is likely a big problem.

Thank you!
Old 01-07-2009, 07:25 PM   #7
J

Profile:

The bar path isn't that bad, really... If you look at dartfish analysis of some professional weightlifters' snatches, you'll see that the bar path is actually a lot like a compressed question mark.

You are, however, carrying the weight too far back in the recieving position.

Why are you not doing full snatches?
Old 01-07-2009, 08:01 PM   #8
Lou Cabales

Profile:

since u get the concept your your jump and land, feet really dont need to leave the ground so much. about an inch is enough. as your feet leave ground widen for landing. as you arer extending it appears as if your raising knees. i like to think vertical quads and feet back stomp land absorb landing bending knees.

its hard to tell but your grip may be a little wide which will help the bar for settling too far behind you.

try and skin the bottom of your shirt with bar.

u looked down on at least one lift.

dont rush the 3'd pull get the bar to float get vertical then get under.

try and wait a little longer before second pull. make sure you're vertical before feet leave ground. some lifts feel rushed. watch knees at triple extension barely full extension. shrug also.

go heavier. sometimes the weight will fix some issues.

at 1:01 look at knees before second pull minimal if any re bend/scoop

hook grip? i think i see thumbs

shoulders in ears, high shoulders and high lats on finish. (ala shoulder press)

slow down first pull scoop/rebend ...BAM!!!!

try starting second pull a little higher.

i like the slo mo video!
Old 01-07-2009, 08:22 PM   #9
Adam Scheiner

Profile:

Kirez how tall are you? I'm 6'2" and have or have had the same issues that you have with the snatch. From the looks of your start position it seems like the rounded back is caused from having the bar over your mid foot instead of where it is supposed to be with a lower hip position, which is over the base of your toes.

Last edited by Adam Scheiner; 01-07-2009 at 08:30 PM..
Old 01-07-2009, 09:29 PM   #10
Joshua Murphy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Cabales View Post
since u get the concept your your jump and land, feet really don't need to leave the ground so much. about an inch is enough. as your feet leave ground widen for landing. as you are extending it appears as if your raising knees. i like to think vertical quads and feet back stomp land absorb landing bending knees.
= "Donkey Kick"

Kirez - are you lifting in dress shoes? (not knocking it if you are, but I have never seen that).

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)