CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-03-2007, 08:24 AM   #1
Brian Dolan

Profile:
New guy, 6'2 250 35 y/o

Yeah, I did the "Angie" WOD Scaled:

100 Pull-ups on the Cybex Assist P/U machine
100 Push Ups
50 Sit-Ups (cramped BAD)
100 Sqauats

Completed the above in 22:20 after a WU of 5:00 min Rowing and doing Clean/press & Clean/Jerk with just the bar for form (never did Oly Weight lifting before).

Pull ups are HARD for me, but I'll NEVER do a Pull down machine ever again. They have proven useless next to even assisted Pull ups...

Any tips/advice as I continue?

Oh, and it was great, feel REALLY good (after the dizziness and Nausea passed).
Old 04-03-2007, 08:32 AM   #2
Paul Findley

Profile:
Slow down. Too much too soon can be harmful.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:56 AM   #3
Cal Jones

Profile:
I'm going to have a go at Angie tonight (I was at my Thai boxing class last night). First time for me too. :-)
For the record, female, 39, 5'7, 143lbs (10 stone 3).
Will report back later!
Old 04-03-2007, 09:23 AM   #4
Brian Dolan

Profile:
The intensity is why I'm doing crossfit...I've been "lifting" for years and doing "cardio" but it just stopped working for me and got boring. At the end of my workout, I had the same fatigued but good feeling I had after a tough Fire Evolution. My Angie was tough, but I did scale it back, especially with the Pull Up assist machine and sit ups....

Can't wait for tomorrows WOD...
Old 04-03-2007, 09:46 AM   #5
Paul Findley

Profile:
This is a good read:

http://www.crossfit.com/journal/libr..._cf_rhabdo.pdf

I am not trying to be a buzzkill. I think this is easier to induce than even the article suggests, I have seen it.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:16 AM   #6
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Paul, You are doing the right thing.

Brian, take a couple weeks to aclimatize yourself Crossfit. You will be better for it.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:31 PM   #7
Cal Jones

Profile:
Alright, so it wasn't as bad as I thought.

I did the pull-ups on an assisted pull-up/dip machine. On reflection I probably used too much of an assist as I got them all in one set (although the biceps were burning pretty bad).

Press-ups - needed a short rest after the first 30 and then every 10 reps after that.

Sit ups and squats - no real problems. Knee was giving me gip after my Thai boxing class last night so didn't go too low or too fast.

Felt pretty good all things considered. I'm sure the last three exercises would have felt a lot tougher if I'd used less assist for the pull-ups but I didn't want to go too crazy on my first WOD. :-)

Overall time: 19 mins on the nail.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:32 AM   #8
Brian Dolan

Profile:
Thats an intersesting and cautionary read. I've never even heard of rhabdomylosis and I have a history in EMS. I'll take this into account and slow down for the first few weeks to get adjusted.

Thanks for the heads up guys...
Old 04-05-2007, 07:02 PM   #9
Nia Kelley

Profile:
For some reason, my original post did not show up earlier in the week, so trying again..

I also did my first CF workout on Monday - Helen. It was a great workout. I was able to do the workout as prescribed, but I did Iron Woody band assisted pullups. I've never been able to do a full BW bodyweight pullup, but I know that with determination and dedicated training, I will be able to do it. I just have to keep practicing. My time on Helen was 22:02. I am a female body builder, 170# currently in off-season, taking some time to learn the O-lifts (and boy is it packing on some muscle)!

I'm looking forward to becoming more involved in the CF experience and for sharing the journey with these remarkable athletes!!
Old 04-05-2007, 11:20 PM   #10
Cal Jones

Profile:
Welcome Nia! Seems we have similar goals since I'm lousy at pull-ups also (can do three with a supinated grip and zero with any other grip - though I have issues with the traditional wide grip due to an old rotator cuff injury that left me motion imparied). 170lbs is a lot to pull-up as I'm sure you've found. I'm 143lbs and that's heavy enough for me. I find using the assisted pull up machine at my gym helps, but I have a chinning bar in my flat and make a point of trying to get a couple of pull-ups every time I pass under it. Seems to be a good tactic so far as I could only do one when I installed it.