CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 04-04-2003, 08:38 AM   #1
Jon Pappas

Profile:
Man, your heart wants to leap out of your chest with this workout:blush: I did 75 lbs. and my buddy did 95 lbs. We've never done high reps on the C&J before so we picked a weight we knew we could complete. Now I know we could've gone heavier. The jerk is not bad, but the legs start really burning on the cleans.

We were sweat'n too. Amazing how much work you can get in 18 minutes.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:56 AM   #2
Jon Pappas

Profile:
Also, this workout proves all you really need is an olympic bar and weights.

Less is More
Old 04-04-2003, 04:54 PM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

I did this one today after seeing Coach's "Five Tests" in the CFJ . . . I'm pretty sure that this is the ONLY one of them that I can reach the bare minimum standard to score 4 points.

I made it . . . 15-12-9 with 115 pounds. Yay! 4 points achieved, 96 to go . . . .(groan).

Like Jon said, I was huffing and puffing. I was sort of amazed, because I had always done my C&J and Snatch (miniscule as they may be in weight) in the standard style . . . but on about the 10th rep, I spontaneously began to do a split-style jerk, and it made it a whole lot more achieveable.

I had never done split-style before, but it just sort of "happened".

Dave
Old 04-04-2003, 06:33 PM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
I managed a creaky 155 for this death-march. I have been training at the local Y in redding CA and it has bee interesting. The WOD typically has me performing more work in 15 min than 5 people do in an hour...literally. I have no idea what these folks are thinking!
Robb
Old 04-04-2003, 08:28 PM   #5
David Wood

Profile:

Robb:

I'm sure that the "natives" at almost any gym will find someone training in CrossFit to be freaky, almost scary.

That said, I bet you'll find it a lot easier to pursue CrossFit training at a Y, than at a modern commercial gym.

At most (but admittedly, not all) YMCAs, you'll be more likely to find the basics: heavy weights, olympic bars, old-fashioned dumbbells cast in one piece. They probably won't be on racks, and may not be labeled, but they'll be there.

Furthermore, a Y is much more likely to leave you the hell alone when you want to go hard, and much LESS likely to get uptight about dropping a weight. They're probably already used to a wider range of human personality types than the average modern mirrors-and-spandex gym will ever see. Plus, they're probably too cheap to have a full-time attendant to harass you, anyway.

A modern "family health center" will be terrified by someone going as hard as most CrossFit workouts require. You might hurt yourself, or the equipment, or, God forbid, the way I'm breathing I'm sure they'd think I was dying. Plus, it would scare people.

I have no idea what would happen if someone pursued a CrossFit style workout in a "hardcore" bodybuilding gym. I used to train at Bath Beach Bodybuilding in Brooklyn, which was about as "old-school" as you can get (there were NO weights there that didn't have rust, but there was a LOT of weight). I was training like a bodybuilder then (yes, I was young and stupid) so I fit right in. But they were pretty tolerant, and they were certainly used to the idea that someone might "emote" a little to make a lift, and might drop a few hundred pounds to the floor if they didn't. So maybe a CrossFitter would have been tolerated, even if they considered him weird.

The Y I currently work out at in Somerville, NJ is truly excellent. Mostly old school stuff, although they just "upgraded" the equipment in ways that made most of it worse. We still have chinning bars, Olympic bars, power racks and dumbbells, and even a climbing rope.

Better than the equipment, though, is the collection of folks who train there. From old (self-described) "geezers" who can outlift me at 70 years old (I'm 47), to big monsters who can DL 500 (but can't chin themselves), to others who can RUN up two flights stairs doing a farmer's walk with 85 lbs in each hand, we got 'em all . . . plus a few maniacs who will try CrossFit with me.

I'd urge you to keep doing the CrossFit (not that you'd stop) at the Y, you make make a few converts.

Dave