CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-17-2004, 01:10 PM   #1
J. D. Hernandez

Profile:

Just some thoughts on Bill's interview with Ori. First, Paleo diets are not based on the food consumed by homo neanderthalis, but the food we (homo sapiens) were designed to eat. The neanderthals are not our descendants, but more an offshoot of our lineage. Being that I have a fairly decent education in Anthropology, I strongly disagree that Neanderthals were plagued by ailments. The common hunched over "caveman" type image was created on the basis of one of the first skeletons that were discovered. It has been further studied and documented that the reason this ONE skeleton has arthritis and odd growth patterns (one side of his body was larger than the other) was because of a blow to the head (the cranium was intact and the fractured skull was apparent) that caused serious health issues. Neanderthals were extremely physically superior to cro magnon man. Analysis of neanderthal skeletons has proven this. Their skeletons show similar bone density and bone structure evidence that their musculature was extremely superior to our modern Olympic Athletes. Just trying to stop the spread of bad information.

J.D.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:08 PM   #2
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

J.D.,

I agree 100% and that was one item that was rather disturbing in the article.

Old 02-17-2004, 06:26 PM   #3
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Right on, J.D. I totally agree.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:09 PM   #4
Steve Shafley

Profile:
Ori's got some good ideas, but when it comes to anthropology and history, he takes three swings and heads back to the dugout.

At least he doesn't quote himself in his own book like Faigin does.

I think his statements on protein powders were misleading, almost to the point of being dishonest.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:05 PM   #5
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Hah! Yeah, Faigin seems a bit pompous, but he still knows his stuff.

Ori, on the other hand... He's a smart guy, but I sometimes wonder where exactly he gets his information from.

Old 02-18-2004, 03:15 PM   #6
bill fox

Profile:

Hey, I don't make the news, I just report it.:happy:

I no zero about anthropology. I learned about the warrior diet form some very lean martial artists and tried it. I have continued to eat less during the day since then and am feeling good.

I eat somewhere between textbook WD and Rob's Athlete's zone -at some point it gets pretty blurry there.

This site is great because of this kind of examination of statements.

Next I try to get Sears for an interview, anybody know the guy or should I just use my charm?

Bill

Old 02-19-2004, 09:08 PM   #7
J. D. Hernandez

Profile:

Bill,

I definitely wasn't criticizing your interview, just trying to stop the spread of bad info. Like I said, great interview. Keep up the great work.

J.D.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:57 AM   #8
bill fox

Profile:

I just joking and making it clear I try to only claim I know what I know.

Story - I did a philosophy paper that was to be presented at a symposium in grad school. I had made an analogy with some pop quantum physics idea I had run across. My thesis advisor, bless him, told me to take it out because invarialby there would be some physics guy there that would show how it was a bad anaolgy, and even though the paper didn't hinge on it , I'd be sunk.

Similar thing here, weak anthropology, good plan.

Bill
Old 02-20-2004, 09:26 AM   #9
David Werner

Profile:
Bill
Coach may be able to help with Barry Sears, direct an inquiry his way. It's nice to have you on board here

Dave Werner
CrossFit North