CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-27-2006, 02:07 PM   #1
Kurt Holm

Profile:
So I got my rings today (thanks Tyler) and I figure I am going to put screw eyes into a floor joist to hang them which, raises two questions. First, anyone got any better ideas than screw eyes? Second, how far apart do you space these? There will be two people using them (me and my son) and we are very different sizes. Thanks.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:39 PM   #2
Peter Howarth

Profile:
hey kurt.cool that you and your son are using the rings.Mine are fastened by brackets that are bolted into the rafters.The bracket hangs just below the rafter and has slits wide enough for the webbing to go thru and I've laid a small rubber pad in there too to stop any wear.Its high enough for pullups and the width between two rafters seems good for anyone thats using them.Hope that helps
Old 05-28-2006, 03:53 PM   #3
Rene Renteria

Profile:
how far apart do you space these?

Official Olympic width of 50 cm (or you can use from your elbow to an inch or so past your fingertips to estimate) is what has been posted here in the past.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:27 PM   #4
George Brothers

Profile:
kurt
is there a reason you dont want to use screw eyes?
they are nice and smooth on the inside diameter so that your webbing wont fray.
are you doing this in your cellar/garage or is it in the house itself? my experience is that hanging workout equipment in the house usually gets it banished quickly to the basement.
btw 50 cm is about 20 inches.
joists are probably 16 inches apart but could be up to 24 inches.
since the webbing is flexible this should not be a problem to transition between you and your son.
on the other hand if there is a huge size difference and you are hanging the rings in the basement or garage and the joists are exposed you could attach a 2x4 (use at least two 3 inch screws for each joist if not 3 screws and would not put more than 225 lbs on that) that spans 3 joists and loop the rings over that in each joist space. then you could move the webbing through a range of almost 32 in to just a few inches apart. only thing to worry about is braining yourself on that middle joist.
or just hang it on a pull up bar or hefty tree branch at your house. or from the swing set at home or at a park.
i think you can also do a search of the equipment topic and find info on what others have done.
and lastly email tyler haas, he seems to be a very approachable guy concerning his product and how to make it useful for you.