CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-03-2005, 06:47 AM   #1
Ed Ryan

Profile:
After years of trying to find ways to contain my energy and drive for extreme sports and fitness, I have found it. You guys are amazing. You have opened my eyes to a whole new world I didn't think existed except in my dreams. I have been doing CF for about 4 months now, and I love every minute of it. Thank-You. (Tear)
Old 09-03-2005, 09:34 AM   #2
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Ed - I know just what you mean. I have been doing multi sport as my athletic outlet for the past dozen years as a way to express my need to be fit. But I was doing so at the cost of becoming weak and spindly and I never really wanted to become a gym ape. Enter CrossFit and all my fitness prayers were answered. I have realigned my training to the CrossFit way and could not be happier with the results. I have gone from an 11 something Helen to 8:30 and from maybe a dozen at best to 47 pullups. No way way I could have ever gotten there without CrossFit.

Of course it goes way beyond the training method and extends into the amazing worldwide community connection. How cool is it that an AF fireman in Tokyo can chat with a cop in Tacoma, Washington as if we were next door neighbors? We share our adventures, PR's, challenges, photos and whatever else we want to throw on here. You will love this place. Post often, visit daily, stay in touch.

Welcome aboard.

eug
Old 09-04-2005, 08:17 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Yep, me too. I started out as a gymnast, transitioned to martial arts to fill the void. In college did some tris (didn't do it for me). Lifted and then drifted from program to program. In the prosess I was convinced any cardio was evil. Found Crossfit in about January 2003, did it for about a month, jumped to another program...somthing pulled me back and I never left, never will,
Old 09-05-2005, 01:38 PM   #4
Michael Keller

Profile:
Welcome Ed! It is addictive, isn't it?
Old 09-06-2005, 09:59 AM   #5
Skip Chase

Profile:
Amen, on the addiction. After only 3 weeks I need my CF fix!!! We left for Vegas early last Thursday. I checked the WOD the night before. Pull ups and dips. We checked into the hotel and I went looking for something to dip and pull on. Found a tree- started doing pullups on a branch. A security guard comes out and tells me to get off the tree. &%?*%#@!!!!! Looked for something to do dips on....went to the pool...noticed the hand rails to hold onto to enter/exit the pool....they were a good width for dips...started doing dips. Lifeguard blows her whistle..."Sir, you can't do dips there!!" %$#&@#*!!!!!! I NEED TO DO MY WOD!!!! Did a modified WOD!! I could not wait to get home to do my WOD!! We returned yesterday and went straight to the web site to get the WOD. YEEHAA!! We are alive again...bring on PUKIE!!!
Old 09-06-2005, 12:54 PM   #6
Matt Laney

Profile:  
Hey guys, I didn't want to start a whole new thread since this one will suffice for a noob. A couple of my friends here in Auburn, AL got me started on CF. When they first started telling me about some of the exercises i was a little skeptical...but I can tell you now that I'm a believer!

I've almost always been involved in some kind of sport (soccer, baseball, ice hockey, racquetball, etc.) and I like to keep my body in shape. As a college student, however, I hardly can find time to head over to the student act and spend an hour weight training. With crossfit, I can do better than just weight training, and usually in half or a 1/4 of the time!

We're starting off with about half the workout since none of us have ever done anything this intense, but it's definitely making a big difference already. Hopefully after a few months we'll be able to build up to 3/4 the workout and so on.

btw, hspu's are a favorite of mine. I've always been pretty good at the handstand part of it just messing around. I also agree that it's very addictive. I'm hooked!
Old 09-08-2005, 12:35 PM   #7
Butch White

Profile:

Welcome Matt! There's no better strength and conditioning program than CF. It's also good to know there's some other CF'ers down in Auburn. - Butch in B'ham