CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-14-2007, 06:18 PM   #1
Kevin Burns

Profile:
Anyone ever have this happen to them.

You normally run in the same spot, path, or route. One day you go somewhere else to run. Same distance, workout,etc but it feels about 10x harder.

Seems like a mental thing but I don't know. Just wondering if anyone else has ever noticed this.

Old 04-14-2007, 08:05 PM   #2
Connie Morreale

Profile:
i think its 90% mental. you know every curve/turn/bump in an old route and go on auto pilot. the green mailbox is 7/10 mile, the flag pole makes 2.3 miles etc. new routes are more distracting..."has it been a quarter mile yet?"
this is one reason i try to run a differnet route almost every time i run. at the very least, i wont repeat the same course for as long as i can avoid it. it helps train the brain.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:56 AM   #3
Cal Jones

Profile:
If you're on an unfamiliar route it can feel a lot further. I tried running home from work once (I normally run laps of the common up the road) and it was gruelling, mainly because it was down unattractive roads and on hard pavements (as opposed to grass and tracks and nice green space). It seemed a lot further. However, it also battered the hell out of my knees so I'm not looking to do it again any time soon...
Old 04-18-2007, 10:34 PM   #4
Nick Gagnon

Profile:
Weird, I have always felt it to be much easier to run on new routes. They seem to go by so much faster.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:10 PM   #5
Chris Delorey

Profile:
I have a running related question....sort of.

I get terrible shin splints when I run. Even a short distance of a kilometre is excruciating sometimes.
Does anyone know of a ratio that will let me equal the exertion that a run places on the body, while on a bike or row machine? (EX. 20 minutes running = 40 minutes bike / row)

Thanks for the help.

Sliver
Old 04-22-2007, 02:57 PM   #6
Skylar Cook

Profile:
Intensity is key.

Do an equal amount of time of any other kind of metcon activity (bike, row, jump rope, swim)- but there's really no substitute for running (contradictory, I know). Shin splints are caused by a muscle imbalance, I believe- you might want to take a look at Anthony Bainbridge's workout log, he had the same problem; but I don't remember how he overcame it.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:59 PM   #7
Chris Delorey

Profile:
Thanks Skylar.

My best friend is a manual manipulation therapsit, so I've got some good exercises to do off of him (like the reverse gas pedal contraction), but I'll take a look at the log as well.
Much appreciated.

Sliv
Old 04-22-2007, 04:41 PM   #8
Connie Morreale

Profile:
everytime myself or one of my clients got shin spints a change of shoes fixed it immediately. now i get new shoes every three months no matter how pretty they still look.

also, tight calves contribute. hang your heels off a step for 20-30 seconds several times a day.
dont do anterior tibialis strengthening exercises like the one above until you are relatively pain free