CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-14-2007, 04:07 PM   #1
Alex Bury

Profile:
Results for Beginners

I have recently dedicated myself to a regular crossfit workout and am already seeing good results. I know impatience amongst beginners is probably common but I would like to hear from someone experienced; about how long will a rookie crossfitter have to keep at it before they notice gains in performance? I'm already feeling better, am a little less soft, and see veins where i didnt used to, but these things are not what im looking for. I'm looking forward to appreciable gains in areas like pushup max. etc. Common sense tells me that I will have to wait a month or so but I'm just curious what the voice of experience has to say. Thanks!
Old 11-15-2007, 07:37 AM   #2
Tom Fetter

Profile:
Re: Results for Beginners

Wait 'till you see the first WOD repeat ... your performance difference will be pretty striking. For me, that repeat happened at about 6 weeks. The rate of gains is fast at first - I'm now about 5 months in, and they're slowing a bit ... but not much.

I saw changes in performance before seeing changes in aesthetics ... but those came quickly too. Again, at 4 weeks I saw differences, at 6 weeks my wife did ... as did my doctor at a checkup. No hiding it from that point onwards - clothes fit differently, bodyfat's lower, etc. etc.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:14 AM   #3
Aaron Trent

Profile:

Your earliest results should be performance numbers. Has your Deadlift increased? Number of pull-ups? Your 400m times decreased? Those should change very quickly.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:05 AM   #4
Christopher Ramirez

Profile:

I started noticing after about a month. It's been about three now and my upper body has bulked up quite a bit and I've seen some pretty large performance gains too.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:43 PM   #5
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

My Tabatas have inreased, and most of my metcon WODs have gone up quite a but in the 5 months I've been doing it. It took about a month for me to notice a giant surge in upper-body strength.

I haven't gained a lot of mass, if any, but I'm about 5x more toned than I've ever been. My gains have mostly been performance in the metcon WODs, and only slightly in the heavy lifts.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:08 PM   #6
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:

I have a gal who trains with me who wants to be a fire fighter and is wonderfully determined in her training for that goal. She came to me about a month ago with zero pullups. Three days ago she knocked out 12 kipping pullups. Work hard and start Zoning and you will improve like gangbusters.