CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #1
Jo Hsu

Profile:
Dissolving creatine

After years of avoiding it (for rather unfounded fears, probably), I've decided to give creatine a try. I'm not doing a loading phase, but trying 5g/day (is this all right for a 110lb female, or is that too much?). I tried my first scoop today, but the powder didn't dissolve very well when I stirred it into my water. How important is it for the powder to dissolve fully? Should I mix it with a blender bottle or an actual blender?

Thanks,
Jo
Old 11-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: Dissolving creatine

Why water? Do you use a protein supplement? If so, mix it with that and it will go almost perfectly into solution. If not, mix it with juice.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
Jo Hsu

Profile:

Thanks for the reply, Chris; I was hoping you'd see the post. I'm using water because I'm taking it first thing in the morning before I eat breakfast-- it's easier that way because sometimes I can't predict when I'm going to the gym, whether I'll go straight from my office or whether I'll stop at home, and I don't want to carry creatine with me all the time. I don't tend to buy or drink juice. Is there a reason it wouldn't dissolve well with water? Also, is a dosage around 3g more appropriate for a smaller woman?
Old 11-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Yeah i've found it doesn't really dissolve. I've tried water, gatorade, and vitamin water and it's all the same. It's kind of like sand. I used to try to just stir it before each sip so that it would be floating around while I drank it. Then it would sink to the bottom and I'd stir it again...

Eventually I got tired of that and just starting spooning the powder straight into my mouth and washing it down with water or gatorade. I prefer this method because I don't leave anything at the bottom of the glass.

Or you could do like Chris said and mix it into a shake. That's probably the most pleasant option.

Last edited by Matt Thomas; 11-04-2012 at 08:49 PM..
Old 11-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
Perry Eubank

Profile:

I've been taking it for a couple months now, with water too. I tried mixing it into my protein shake, but I could feel the careatine crystals when I drank it, and I didn't like that. So, I continue to drink it with 10oz of water. It doesn't dissolve well, but if you just down it quickly, then follow with about 10 more oz of water in the same bottle (to get out the leftover crystals in there), it's not so bad. I suppose really hot water would make it all dissolve, but why bother with the hassle?

Log (WFS)
Old 11-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Someone should make liquid creatine. Do they have that?
Old 11-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
Jo Hsu

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
Someone should make liquid creatine. Do they have that?
I think some people make it in pills?

Does the fact that the creatine isn't dissolved affect absorption?
Old 11-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #8
Perry Eubank

Profile:

Your stomach acid can dissolve bone and even metal, drinking undissolved careatine should be no problem.

Log (WFS)
Old 11-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #9
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Hsu View Post
Thanks for the reply, Chris; I was hoping you'd see the post. I'm using water because I'm taking it first thing in the morning before I eat breakfast-- it's easier that way because sometimes I can't predict when I'm going to the gym, whether I'll go straight from my office or whether I'll stop at home, and I don't want to carry creatine with me all the time. I don't tend to buy or drink juice. Is there a reason it wouldn't dissolve well with water? Also, is a dosage around 3g more appropriate for a smaller woman?
Yes, because creatine monohydrate is not highly soluble in water (especially cool water).

If you cannot mix it with a protein shake or juice, then simply mix it as best as possible in water and drink what you can, then use a bit more water and drink the balance of it.

No, 5g is the appropriate dose.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:37 PM   #10
Chris Mason

Profile:

Can I make a point? Creatine is not a steak or candy. You should not be taking it for the taste or consistency. You should take it for the results. Creatine monohydrate is highly effective for the vast majority of users.

On a related note, if you want something which mixes very easily and tastes good then try my product RESULTS.