CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-03-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:
Not Strict Paleo

So a lot of people here say they "eat clean", or something along those lines, but not (strict) paleo. I was just wondering what people consider "clean" or "healthy", generally pertaining to those that say say they aren't strict paleo, but just clean.

Me. I'm on the Starting Strength program, so food is my friend. I just killed a pint of Ben and Jerry's Peanut Butter Cup because I felt like it. And I just bought a small bag of rice to see how that works for me. I need to get up to 200lbs or else Tamara will beat me.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
Sasha Specht

Profile:
Re: Not Strict Paleo

For me term "eating clean" means mostly a whole food diet, without very few processed items, meat, veggies, fruit fish, nuts(and butters), ect, maybe a few processed foods here in there but the processed foods aren't something that are a daily item in your diet.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:13 PM   #3
BMH

Profile:  

For me, this means things like the following:

oats, fruits, veggies, oils, nuts, seeds, butters, meats that are not junk meat, eggs and fish, tubers, and yogurt. I generally stay away from bread, rice and other junk grain. Beans I can take or leave, but I have been contemplating lentils of late. Soy is junk, dairy like cheese I get down on but milk I take in strides. I tolerate it for awhile but seem to have issues with repeat consumption over time.

Things I avoid: Granola bars, bars of any kind for that matter. Anything that comes in a plastic wrapper. Stuff that has ingredients I can't pronounce i.e. potassium benzoate. Meat with preservatives. Hydrogenated anything.

Hope that gives you an idea. My list isn't the end all be all, just what I came up with off the top of my head.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:04 AM   #4
Richard Allen Pagel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
For me, this means things like the following:

oats, fruits, veggies, oils, nuts, seeds, butters, meats that are not junk meat, eggs and fish, tubers, and yogurt. I generally stay away from bread, rice and other junk grain. Beans I can take or leave, but I have been contemplating lentils of late. Soy is junk, dairy like cheese I get down on but milk I take in strides. I tolerate it for awhile but seem to have issues with repeat consumption over time.

Things I avoid: Granola bars, bars of any kind for that matter. Anything that comes in a plastic wrapper. Stuff that has ingredients I can't pronounce i.e. potassium benzoate. Meat with preservatives. Hydrogenated anything.

Hope that gives you an idea. My list isn't the end all be all, just what I came up with off the top of my head.
Same here, except I highly disagree with calling rice a "junk grain".
Old 05-04-2011, 04:13 AM   #5
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Many asian cultures have rice as a major staple yet I'm unaware of any statistics suggesting they're less healthy or have lower life expectancies.

That said I don't eat it myself but things like curry or stirfry would be more enjoyable if I did.

Some people look at me strangely when I say I eat paleo plus gomad - they ask me if it's like eating vegetarian plus steak.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:00 AM   #6
Tony Yung

Profile:

Eating curry without rice is an abomination! I eat paleo + dairy 80% of the time....you can be darn sure that 20% includes thai red curry over short grain rice!
Old 05-04-2011, 06:37 AM   #7
Andrew Bell

Profile:

I am one who trys to eat clean. A turkey sandwich with double meat could be a typical lunch meal for me once a week. Staying away from fast food, and ice cream, candy, etc. I have NO problem with rice.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:50 AM   #8
Christine Parry

Profile:

Lots of produce, plenty of eggs, some meat, nuts, oils, avocados (I eat so many they deserve their own food group), and seeds.
I use dairy in cooking (scrambled eggs, mostly) but don't eat much of it on it's own, though I try to eat greek yogurt once a week or so if I remember to. I probably go through less than a pint of milk a week, less so now that I've switched from coffee to tea (green and yerba mate). I use cheese in cooking as well.
No sugar, no overly processed foods (please don't start the discussion about how slicing a tomato is processing it...).

I've made some tweaks to adjust for my own body and my workouts:
For me, eating gluten-free has done wonders for my energy, health, and body. If I'm doing heavy metcons, speed work or longer runs, or have a long day of climbing ahead of me, I've found that no amount of meat will stoke the fires: I need quick sugars. I'll eat rice noodles, bananas, dates, or occasionally a cashew butter and honey sandwich on gluten-free bread. Those things I've found sit especially well in my stomach if I need to perform. And avocados are great at the crag in between climbs to fill me up and keep me going.

I have a glass of red wine about 3 nights a week, and I don't consider that a cheat. It's just part of my diet.

Last edited by Christine Parry; 05-04-2011 at 06:54 AM..
Old 05-04-2011, 09:59 AM   #9
Forrest MacDonald

Profile:

I'd say that "eating clean" is generally avoiding anything that comes in a bag or box AKA processed...

I mean there are obviously exceptions. But usually if you ask yourself "is this clean?" before eating it, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Whereas with Paleo it's structured more strictly and means not eating things that you might intuitively find acceptable.

At least that's how I think about it.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:05 AM   #10
Mitch Jensen

Profile:

I definitely fall into this category.

I try very hard to stick to whole foods. I am a bowhunter and I fish. So I eat a lot of venison and the fish I catch...I will grill or smoke. I stick to chicken and meat....once in a while I splurge and get grass fed beef but don't feel bad if just eat lean beef too. I load up on the veggies and fruit and a some walnuts throughout any given day.

Like others have said, I stay away from processed food. I don't eat bread.

There are exceptions every now and then though....lol....I LOVE ICE CREAM. I don't eat it maybe more than once or twice a month. Last Sunday was my birthday and I stupidly made up for lost time all in one evening. I had a peach cobbler dessert...then walked next door to get a shake...I love peanut butter so I got a peanut butter shake and their special of the month was peach cobbler...well obviously I had to try that one too. Trust me when I say I paid dearly for it that night and the next day.

I have made some paleo desserts though that are awesome and take my sweet craving away.