CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
Masen Mills

Profile:
Tips needed to convince commander to turn Armory gym into full CF gym

I'm AGR in the National Guard in Indiana (I'm a SSG working in the G1). Our Armory's gym sucks (no better word for it; it's a poor excuse for training Soldiers). I'm putting together a Power Point to convince a Caption (the Armory budget manager) to convince him that we need to overhaul our gym and get the Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, and Delta packages from Again Faster's military packages. Anyone ever done anything like this?

Right now, my plan of action is to:

1) Show that our current facility's are inadequate (that's the easy part)
2) Show pictures of what it would look like with all four packages set up in a gym (what we COULD have vs what we CURRENTLY have; Again Faster told me they would send me some pics)
3) Convince a sedentary National Guard CPT that CrossFit is the best training regiment by relating the concepts of TC 3-22.20 to CrossFit's Fitness Principles (see CF Journal article "What is Fitness?")

That's what I've got... so far...
Old 01-12-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
Robert Callahan

Profile:
Re: Tips needed to convince commander to turn Armory gym into full CF gym

I would stick with #1 and 2. Getting him to see you need new equipment and the benefit for everyone that would hold is going to be much easier than convincing him everyone should be doing CF.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:25 AM   #3
Casey Raiford

Profile:

I've done the same thing with my CO (Navy O-6). Those things are important and necessary, as is gathering all of the studies (CAF, etc) demonstrating the benefits. The single most important thing you can do (in my opinion) is to get your skipper to actually DO Crossfit. Grab Shane Skowron's comprehensive list of of bodyweight WODs, use any equipment you might already have and then throw the Captain through a scaled workout. That's your pressure point.

You also want to have three courses of action with small, medium and large dollar amounts attached. Certs are a bedrock, you need a stamp of approval and the L1 cert is the option. The other areas to spend money on in a military affiliate are equipment and facilities, in that order. As for equipment, buy quality. For facilities, that's where you can meet the budgeteers halfway; writing off the cost of any improvements, or underscoring them as a savings, by volunteering to do it as a self-help project (that's what the NAV calls it) and doing any demo, rehab or painting yourself. Demonstrate YOUR willingness to invest.

Finally, when it comes to crafting your recommended COAs do not hide any costs. Factor in tuition, travel and every dime needed to get someone to an L1 (if needed). Factor in shipping for equipment. You get the idea.

I've done this myself and helped others, happy to assist in any way I can. Feel free to PM or email if you have any questions.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
Masen Mills

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
I would stick with #1 and 2. Getting him to see you need new equipment and the benefit for everyone that would hold is going to be much easier than convincing him everyone should be doing CF.
What I'm afraid of in this position is that he will think "You're right, we do need new equiptment, but not the equipment you have suggested." I would hate to see the gym overhauled, and thousands of dollars spent on more Nautilus machines, rather than anything that can actually be applied to REAL fitness.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
Masen Mills

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Raiford View Post
I've done the same thing with my CO (Navy O-6). Those things are important and necessary, as is gathering all of the studies (CAF, etc) demonstrating the benefits. The single most important thing you can do (in my opinion) is to get your skipper to actually DO Crossfit. Grab Shane Skowron's comprehensive list of of bodyweight WODs, use any equipment you might already have and then throw the Captain through a scaled workout. That's your pressure point.

You also want to have three courses of action with small, medium and large dollar amounts attached. Certs are a bedrock, you need a stamp of approval and the L1 cert is the option. The other areas to spend money on in a military affiliate are equipment and facilities, in that order. As for equipment, buy quality. For facilities, that's where you can meet the budgeteers halfway; writing off the cost of any improvements, or underscoring them as a savings, by volunteering to do it as a self-help project (that's what the NAV calls it) and doing any demo, rehab or painting yourself. Demonstrate YOUR willingness to invest.

Finally, when it comes to crafting your recommended COAs do not hide any costs. Factor in tuition, travel and every dime needed to get someone to an L1 (if needed). Factor in shipping for equipment. You get the idea.

I've done this myself and helped others, happy to assist in any way I can. Feel free to PM or email if you have any questions.
That’s great advice! Thanks for the help! For now, I think I’m going to hold off on trying to get money for a cert… The way I see it, as far as affiliation is concerned, we need the equipment and facilities first… If I have to pay for the cert myself, I will if we decide to affiliate at some point (that’s an idea I’ve been toying with doing anyway…)

First step is going to be asking the good Captain to join me for a WOD… 
Old 01-13-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Are you already certified? If you are then you can become a military non-profit affiliate, free of charge right away. The only investment is the time to do the paperwork and wait for the process. You don't need a stick of equipment or even a dedicated space. That's exactly the boat we were in when we started. Our first WOD was a four movement Tabata and took place in a weedy handball court. I recommend getting that front loaded right away. That way when you ask for funding it's to expand a program that's already improving Soldiers' lives and survivability.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:37 PM   #7
Masen Mills

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Raiford View Post
Are you already certified? If you are then you can become a military non-profit affiliate, free of charge right away. The only investment is the time to do the paperwork and wait for the process. You don't need a stick of equipment or even a dedicated space. That's exactly the boat we were in when we started. Our first WOD was a four movement Tabata and took place in a weedy handball court. I recommend getting that front loaded right away. That way when you ask for funding it's to expand a program that's already improving Soldiers' lives and survivability.
That would be ideal, but I'm not certified. I have one Soldier who is... another SSG, but he's a traditional (one weekend a month, two weeks per year) Soldier. I'm the most experienced CrossFitter in the building and I've only been going at it for a little over a year now. I want to get certified, but I'm also putting my wife through nursing school and can't afford another $1,000 for the cert.

Getting the equipment is my first priority, as I actually see that happening before I get the chance to raise the money to go to the cert....
Old 01-14-2011, 01:32 PM   #8
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Makes sense to start with what you can do, I agree.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:34 AM   #9
Blaine Cardinale

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masen Mills View Post
That would be ideal, but I'm not certified. I have one Soldier who is... another SSG, but he's a traditional (one weekend a month, two weeks per year) Soldier. I'm the most experienced CrossFitter in the building and I've only been going at it for a little over a year now. I want to get certified, but I'm also putting my wife through nursing school and can't afford another $1,000 for the cert.

Getting the equipment is my first priority, as I actually see that happening before I get the chance to raise the money to go to the cert....
Sent you a PM bro.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:25 PM   #10
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masen Mills View Post
What I'm afraid of in this position is that he will think "You're right, we do need new equiptment, but not the equipment you have suggested." I would hate to see the gym overhauled, and thousands of dollars spent on more Nautilus machines, rather than anything that can actually be applied to REAL fitness.
This will not happen. Do you know why?

Cost of outfitting a gym with brand new Nautilus machines = $100,000+ dollars

Cost of outfitting a gym with barbells, squat racks, bumper weights < $10,000

The military is all about the bottom line, and your solution will be exponentially cheaper.