CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-10-2005, 02:08 PM   #1
Troy Archie

Profile:
Since I’ve started Crossfit nearly a year ago, I’ve noticed that my weighted back squat has gone down quite a bit meanwhile my front squat has gone up quite a bit. My overhead squat has also gone up over the months while doing Crossfit but I never had done them before so I really can’t compare. Has anyone else notice this happen to them or want to shed some light on why this would happen?

Following the WOD, the frequency of both exercises is pretty low with weighted back squats probably having an edge over the front squats. Is it a carry over from all the Olympic lifting that’s done? If this were the case you’d think that with an increase in the front and overhead squat that there would be a carry over into the back squat.

I also notice that my bench has gone up slightly yet the WOD rarely calls for bench-pressing; again I assume a carry over from push-ups, dips, and overhead work.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:03 PM   #2
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Troy, CF doesn't emphasize 1RM back squats very often, so depending on your previous BS volume and intensity, your BS 1RM can either go up or down. All the rowing, tabata this and that, and high rep work - KB's, thrusters, snatches, etc will certainly tax your legs. In strictly OL training, we certainly don't do anywhere near the volume of reps that is inherent in CF. My former coach even frowned upon participation in other sports.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:54 PM   #3
Alex McClung

Profile:
I supplement nearly every WOD with back squats and front squats, so everything has gone up for me in the last year. Front squats were a BIG weakness for me. I'll keep doing this until I'm knocking off FS reps at body weight - my next target weakness is the shoulder girdle. Ring dips kill me...
Old 09-11-2005, 04:33 AM   #4
Pat Janes

Profile:

I've had all three go up with specifically training them via the WOD, Troy. The back squat particularly surprised me; I had a 10kg jump between 1RM attempts in the back squat, about 3 months apart and I didn't BS once in that time. I couldn't see anything in the WOD in the interim that would have suggested that I was heading for a BS PR, but I guess that's just part of the magic.

Of course, in my case, my PRs for all 3 were, and still are, kind of ordinary, so it wouldn't have taken much to see improvements.

As you've seen, my biggest increase has been with bench. I've never in my life been even close to benching BW, but now I do it for reps in a WOD like "Linda" or "Lynne"; admittedly not nearly as many reps as some around here, but 5 is certainly better than zero. I'm guessing that, among other things, ring dips and muscle ups have been the key here.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:38 AM   #5
Garry Berryhill

Profile:
My own back squat has been in freefall since I started the WOD, so I've recently started adding traditional strength work on the weekends. As a fighter, I doubt my limit strength is as important as my anaerobic endurance, but I think it helps.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:16 AM   #6
Jason Carey

Profile:
I used to worry about this too, but it might just be a postural thing. Working front squats and OH squats will naturally move you away from the powerlifting-style back squat posture and toward a more upright, OL-style back squat. The latter is generally going to be a smaller poundage. No big deal in my opinion, given what is gained in balance and ROM.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:19 AM   #7
Theron Mathis

Profile:
Jason your comment raises a question I have had for a while.

What is the major difference between the PL squat form and OL squat form?
Old 09-13-2005, 10:41 AM   #8
Garry Berryhill

Profile:
A power squat takes a wider base and goes until the hip joint is lower than the knee joint, no lower.
Unless you lift in the IPF.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:00 AM   #9
Jason Carey

Profile:
What Garry said. Also, the bar is carried higher on the back for OL-style squats (traps vs. scapula in a generic comparison). I've noticed that the wider stance, lesser depth and lower bar position (i.e. PL-style) allow for more forward lean.
I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable people can provide more details regarding muscular recruitment.

Old 09-13-2005, 01:26 PM   #10
Theron Mathis

Profile:
so legs are about shoulder width apart and no wider in the OL squat?

guess I've been doing PL style but going much lower than parallel but not necessarily rock bottom. I do notice that I naturally lean forward and I guess that is due to bar position.