CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-01-2010, 07:09 AM   #1
Darryl Shaw

Profile:
Blood Test Results.

I got my latest blood test results back a few days ago so I thought I'd show you all what my crazy low-fat high-carb almost vegan diet is doing to my plasma lipids -

Total cholesterol - 4.0 mmol/L (156mg/dl)

HDL-c - 1.6 mmol/L (62.4mg/dl)

LDL-c - 2.2 mmol/L (85.8mg/dl)

Triglyceride - 0.5 mmol/L (44.5mg/dl)

Blood Pressure - 106/62 mmHg

Pulse - 44.

Everything else tested fell within the normal range except for my serum sodium level which was low at 135 mmol/L (normal range 136-145 mmol/L), which is normal for me, and my serum b12 level which was high at 718 ng/L (normal range 150-620ng/L) due to a dietary supplement I take.

Heart.org - What Your Cholesterol Levels Mean. (wfs)

Last edited by Darryl Shaw : 11-01-2010 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Added BP and pulse rate.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:11 AM   #2
Justin McGinley

Profile:
Re: Blood Test Results.

n = 1

Keep it up. Seems to be working wonders for you.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:22 AM   #3
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Ah.... What's the age?
One should expect perfect lipids when your 22
Old 11-01-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Darryl,

If anyone's asked you this before, or if you've mentioned it in passing, can you link me here to avoid forcing you to do a total rehash? Just curious as to what your athletic activities and goals are in context of your diet choices.

I was vegan in the past. When I started to lift heavy I found for me, personally, a vegan diet didn't support my athletic goals. Hence, my switch. I don't know if I've ever read what your athletic pursuits are.

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2010, 12:05 PM   #5
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Leigh Ramos View Post
If anyone's asked you this before, or if you've mentioned it in passing, can you link me here to avoid forcing you to do a total rehash? Just curious as to what your athletic activities and goals are in context of your diet choices.
Good question. Part of training is eating to support your training. Different goals can correspond to different types of eating. If I was training to run a marathon i would probably be eating different if my goal was instead to compete in a powerlifting competition.

Not to mention I'm sure some paleo eaters could post numbers to rival Darryl's numbers.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:12 AM   #6
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
Ah.... What's the age?
One should expect perfect lipids when your 22
I'm 42.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:48 AM   #7
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Leigh Ramos View Post
Darryl,

I'm a generalist whose primary goal is health and longevity. I have no ambitions to compete so I don't follow any specific training program, instead I tend to vary my workouts depending on how I feel on any particular day.

I train with a mix of free weights, KB's and bodyweight exercises with heavier barbell training done in the mornings and bodyweight and cardio work in the afternoons. I train seven days a week and don't see any particular need for rest days.

Quote:
I was vegan in the past. When I started to lift heavy I found for me, personally, a vegan diet didn't support my athletic goals. Hence, my switch. I don't know if I've ever read what your athletic pursuits are.

Thanks!
There's no reason why a well planned vegetarian or vegan diet shouldn't support your athletic goals so without knowing the specifics of your diet I'd guess that you simply weren't eating enough to support your increased calorie requirements.

veganhealth.org - Vegan Weightlifting: What Does the Science Say? (wfs).
Old 11-02-2010, 06:27 AM   #8
Damon Stewart

Profile:

Vegans & Vegetarianism: What does Chaos and Pain say?

Not w/f/s under any circumstances:

http://www.chaosandpain.com/content/...ss-tinfoil-hat
Old 11-02-2010, 09:06 AM   #9
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
I'm a generalist whose primary goal is health and longevity. I have no ambitions to compete so I don't follow any specific training program, instead I tend to vary my workouts depending on how I feel on any particular day.

I train with a mix of free weights, KB's and bodyweight exercises with heavier barbell training done in the mornings and bodyweight and cardio work in the afternoons. I train seven days a week and don't see any particular need for rest days.

There's no reason why a well planned vegetarian or vegan diet shouldn't support your athletic goals so without knowing the specifics of your diet I'd guess that you simply weren't eating enough to support your increased calorie requirements.

veganhealth.org - Vegan Weightlifting: What Does the Science Say? (wfs).
I wasn't telling you that so you could offer me diet advice, as I'm sure you can tell from my usual posts here. What I'm saying is that it didn't work for me mentally. The foods I would have to eat a lot of to support my training goals as a vegan did not leave me FEELING good, because as you're aware, what works mathematically doesn't always work in practice. Just because I was getting the proper amount of protein in grams doesn't mean my body was running optimally. Right now, I FEEL good on my diet and I perform well. So I'm sticking to it.

Again, I was just curious because i like to know what people are up to in the gym and it helps me understand the context of your nutritional advice. Thanks.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:18 AM   #10
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Daryl, honest question here: What is your height and weight?

And if you don't mind this other question... since you only said you use barbells, bodyweight, etc. but gave no specifics, can you tell me at least a couple of things you can do? I'm genuinely curious. Just something you consider you're good at. Like "I can do 370 perfect form push-ups and DL 900x1". (crazy example, I know). If you want, you can answer this one via PM, I'm genuinely curious for some reason.

I don't know why, but from reading a ton of your posts, I always thought you were much younger than 42. I'd definitely put you younger than 30 judging from your posts. But then again, to judge from the Internet forums is a bit hard... specially for me since this isn't my mother language; you seem very articulate to me but I always saw you like a younger guy, I have no idea why, now that I think about it.