CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-31-2009, 02:04 PM   #1
Daniel Olmstead

Profile:
Blood test results: looking good

So, it's been about six months since I made some pretty radical changes to my diet. I made two major changes: one to my macronutrient profile, and the other to my eating schedule (Intermittent Fasting). Although these changes have been extremely positive to my performance and body composition, I figured I should get my blood tested, just to be safe. I do eat a lot of eggs, after all, flying in the face of years of conventional medical wisdom.

Some quick facts about me:

* 6'4"
* 175 pounds
* 10% bodyfat
* 32 years old
* Caucasian male
* Don't smoke, rarely drink
* Vegetarian for 27 years

MACRONUTRIENTS
I changed my macronutrient profile to a high-fat, high-protein and relatively low carb schema, that typically looks like this (daily):

* 2k - 2.5k calories
* Fat: 50%
* Carbs: 20%
* Protein: 30%

I try very hard to eat whole, natural foods and avoid prepackaged stuff. I eat a LOT of eggs (4-8 daily), drink a lot of milk & kefir, eat unholy amounts of nuts and nut butters, and make up the rest with vegetables, cheese, tofu, soy/wheat protein products (ie, tofurkey), and coffee. Sugar, grains and alcohol are extremely minimal. And yes, no meat.

I supplement with Fish oil, a multivitamin, glucosamine and ZMA. I've recently started exploring BCAA's as well, with encouraging results.

INTERMITTENT FASTING
I typically fast from 8pm-noon (16 hours), five days a week. I don't really count it as a fasting day if it's less than 16 hours, but I will occasionally go as long as 20-21 hours. Not often, though. I prefer working out fasted.

TRAINING
CrossFit ~5 days a week, plus rockclimbing 2-3 days a week.

BLOOD TEST RESULTS
My results in bold, the figure in parentheses is the "normal" amount. According to Kaiser.

* Blood pressure: 129/79
* Glucose, fasting: 86 (60-99 mg/dL)
* Cholesterol: 135 (<239- mg/dL)
* Triglyceride: 41 (<199- mg/dL)
* HDL: 77 (>40- mg/dL)
* LDL: 50 (<129- mg/dL)
* ALT (Alanine Aminotransferase), serum: 18 (<36- U/L)
* Creatinine: 0.98 (<1.3- mg/dL)
* Glomerular Filtration Rate: >60 (>60- mL/min)

SHORT VERSION: ALL CLEAR
I don't know what all these things mean (what the hell is Alanine Aminotransferase?), but it all looks to be well within normal bounds, at any rate, which is good. The cholesterol numbers seem pretty fantastic, which was the point of this whole experiment - I celebrated with a plate of four scrambled eggs. I'll need to do some research into the other stuff to try and figure out what it means, but at the moment I don't see any red flags here. Full steam ahead!

Last edited by Daniel Olmstead : 01-31-2009 at 02:22 PM. Reason: forgot the blood pressure
Old 01-31-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
Blake McGehee

Profile:
Re: Blood test results: looking good

ALT is an enzyme found in liver cells. It goes up when the liver is inflamed, such as with alcoholic hepatitis or viral hepatitis, to name just a few. Creatinine and GFR are secondary markers of kidney function. Just an FYI. Fantastic numbers, btw.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
David Melrose

Profile:

total cholesterol below 180 increases your risk of dying from all causes.

Id be concerned about it.

no kidding.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:03 AM   #4
Robert Pierce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Melrose View Post
total cholesterol below 180 increases your risk of dying from all causes.

Id be concerned about it.

no kidding.
I wouldn't.

There is no cause/effect here, it is an association, one that is mostly observed on a population basis rather than individual basis. Most of the association can probably be explained by the known cholesterol-lowering effects of serious illnesses like cancer. Confounding may explain the rest of the effect...that is, low cholesterol is linked to some other variable which increases risk of death.

Bottom line, we don't know. There is at least some evidence to suggest that if the cholesterol levels are low and stable, that is reassuring.

wfs: http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/cont...e2=tf_ipsecsha
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/j...TRY=1&SRETRY=0
Old 02-01-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
Clay Jones

Profile:

Thumbs up Re: Blood test results: looking good

Those are great numbers, Daniel. Out of curiosity, what percentage of carbs were you eating before?
Old 02-01-2009, 10:34 AM   #6
Frank E Morel

Profile:

what is your BUN? ast and alk phos?
Old 02-01-2009, 11:09 AM   #7
Daniel Olmstead

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Jones View Post
Those are great numbers, Daniel. Out of curiosity, what percentage of carbs were you eating before?
I never tracked it, so I don't know, but I would guess a LOT. Like in the 60% range. Default food for vegetarians is extremely high-carb. The first time I shot for 200g carbs/day, I failed miserably. Now I regularly get under 100g.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
what is your BUN? ast and alk phos?
I dunno, Frank - but apparently results are still coming in. I got an e-mail late yesterday with my Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (2.6 - standard range is 0.2-5.5 uIU/mL), so maybe I'll get those as well? Unfortunately, Kaiser's website doesn't have any sort of "results pending" list, and I don't know everything they tested me for, so I won't know when it's done. If I get any others, though, I'll update here.