CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-07-2006, 07:59 PM   #1
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
I'm sure everybody knows about this recall since this has been discussed and some of you may have already returned your bar. I just wanted to put in a plug for Lindsay at York who talked to me at great length and taught me a lot about bars. The problem is a hole that is put through the sleeve that a pin goes through. Weakens the bar and may cause the bar to break...and has, so they are recalling that bar. The recall does not affect the 6 foot version of the bar. If you have or have seen the bar you know why I was very reluctant to give it up...it is a work of art. Beautiful finish, color, knurling, rotation and everything else you want in a bar and at a great price. Anyway, she said it would be better to return it and what I get in exchange is a better bar anyway. Cool deal.

But, to salvage the esthetic joy I felt with that bar I decided to order two 6 footers. They are just like the 7 footer. Only shorter. Same finish, same split color, same beautiful look but in a 30 lb package for $80. I bought two.

I'll take pics when they show up so you can see what the replacement looks like and compare it with my Pendlay and BFS Super Black bars.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:30 PM   #2
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Eugene,
dude good info, far more accurate than the thrid hand info I shared with you I'm sure hehe. By the way thanks again for giving me a place to crash and workout when I came through Tacoma, I appreciate it and wont forget it. Oh and whatever that stuff you made for dinner was I can't stop thinking about it, that was good!

I'm glad you're getting the better bar and you seem to have found a way around loosing the emotional connection you had with the old one. As weird as that is, Crazy endurance athletes... :-)
Old 10-09-2006, 09:39 AM   #3
Allison Foreman

Profile:
York's new replacement power bars and needle bearing bars are manufactured with USA steel, and are avaiable. The internal roll pin that was damaged was redesigned, and the new bars are things of beauty! Still has the split sleeves, beautiful hardened chrome finish & color, nice knurling. Bars list at $180 for 7' Power Bars and $300 for 7'needle bearing, which has great sleeve spin. ($126 and $210 after CF discount). E-me if you have an interest!
Allison Foreman, York Barbell
Old 10-13-2006, 08:46 PM   #4
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/31430.jpghttp://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/31431.jpghttp://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/31432.jpg

If you look at the bars as they are arranged from left to right in the top photo they are the Super Black Bar, the 7' York needle bearing bar, the 7' Split Sleeve York needle bearing bar, the 6' Split Sleeve York needle bearing bar, the 30 pound Ultra Lite Bar and the 15 pound Alumalite bar. It is the 7' Split Sleeve bar I am loathe to return but Yolanda says I really should. In return they sent me the exceptional, highly polished bar right next to it that spins like you would not believe. Incredible bar. The knurling is just perfect - not like a rasp and not like a baby's butt either - just enough to get a perfect grip. It has a cut around the inner collar that sort of looks like the split sleeve but it spins where the bar meets the collar like a regular bar. The 6' Split Sleeve bar does not spin as freely as the needle bearing bar but feels great and is a really beautiful piece of work. I really like bars. York makes fantastic stuff.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:32 PM   #5
John Seiler

Profile:
Eugene,

Maybe I'm missing something but I think you've named 6 bars and there are seven in the pic. The second from the left looks a lot like the Pendlay Crossfit bar.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:33 AM   #6
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
You are correct John, #2 is the Pendlay CF Bar. Good eye.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:09 AM   #7
Allison Foreman

Profile:
Hi, Eugene - glad you're happy with the York bars - thanks for the kudos! Just to clarify for the rest of the readers, the 6' bar won't spin as readily as the Oly needle bearing bars 'cause it is a static motion bar - designed for slower, nonrotational movements such as the deadlift, presses, or squats. The new split sleeve NB bars made of USA steel, list price $300 ($210 to CF)and are shipping. Allison, York Barbell
Old 10-26-2006, 08:49 PM   #8
Lisa Ray

Profile:
Hi Allison,

We have the previous York bars (men's and women's) that were recalled. I called and had the replacements shipped, but I don't think we got the bars that Eugene is describing as the new replacements and the ones we received don't seem to be as nice as the old ones. They don't have split sleeves and the men's bar arrived with the pin fallen out, causing the end to be loose from the bar. We put the pin back in, but it has fallen out again, so we're not using it and we like the old bar so much more that we still use it instead of the new one. This doesn't seem like better quality. Did we receive the wrong bar?
Old 10-27-2006, 10:04 AM   #9
Allison Foreman

Profile:
Lisa, let me email you privately for the details, and I'll follow up for you for sure! And if our product had any kind of a problem on arrival, we'll fix that, too!
Allison Foreman, York Barbell
Old 10-28-2006, 02:17 AM   #10
Ignacio Rios

Profile:
Hahaha...I find it funny the way we talk about bars. I love the 7'ft York Needle, I would use that for training sometimes when I competed in oly lifting. Then we had the Eleikos for competitions...OMG, what a bar - those muthas would spin for days.