CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-07-2005, 11:51 AM   #1
Ana V. Crespo

Profile:  
Hi there,

I've been doing CF for a little over a month now and I've seen great improvement in executing the workouts. I've gone from doing knee pushups to real ones, I've been able to lift more weight, and I can run a lot faster and longer without getting tired now. It's great to be on the steep part of the curve. :-)

Sunday's workout (10 135lb powercleans & 15 push ups x 5) left me wondering something: in a workout that you're doing for time, is it more important to go faster or to carry more weight? I did the first 3 rounds with 50lbs and the last two with 60, and the extra weight really had me slowing way down so I could keep my form. My legs really started to feel shaky those last two rounds too. Should I keep pushing to carry more weight until I get to the prescribed load or should I wait until I'm pretty fast at a lower weight before carrying more?

Thanks,
Ana
Old 06-07-2005, 12:05 PM   #2
Graham Hayes

Profile:
The best thing to do is to mix it up; sometimes fast, sometimes heavy. Personally though, I'd lean towards fast more often than heavy. Do a bit of experimenting and see how it feels.

Keep up the good work!
Old 06-07-2005, 12:09 PM   #3
Derek Lane

Profile:
Ana,
You've just asked one of the top ten crossfit fire starters. Here's a good thread to read to get an idea of the wide variety of opinions on your question:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/24/9731.html

Personally, I'm still in the beginner stages of CF and my opinion is that, unless I'm doing single rep sets, I should scale it back so I finish around 25-30 minutes, preferably with my heart pounding and Pukie tapping on my shoulder. If I'm able to finish a workout in less than 20 minutes, I try to estimate the weights so I end up near the bottom of the pack on the posted times.
Hope this helps.

Derek

PS for more thoughts you could also do a search for MattG and "sell out" :proud:
Old 06-07-2005, 01:37 PM   #4
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Whether you emphasize speed or weight, ALWAYS emphasize CORRECT FORM. Technique will go to hell towards the end guaranteed, but if you start out with proper form, you're less likely to hurt yourself in the end.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:54 PM   #5
Kalen Meine

Profile:
I'd make the decision to drop based on how long your workout is going. If a 95# standard Fran is taking you 45 minutes, drop the weight- you aren't doing yourself a bit of good. By then, you're out of juice of every kind, from the desire to lift to the ATP in your muscles. But do be willing for the heavy ones to take longer- there are certainly enough lightweight/bdw "smokers" that will get your heart up to speed. Nothing will ramp up your strength like repeatedly doing a single and getting ****ed at not finishing the set yet ;-)