CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-09-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
Forrest MacDonald

Profile:
Pre-surgery conditioning

Hello all, I've been doing 70's Big S & CP for almost two months now, eating relatively clean and GOMAD. Results have been great - I've gained 15 pounds and increased all of my lifts substantially. I'm now at 5 10, 190 pounds, and would continue doing linear progression if it weren't for a shoulder surgery I've got coming up on June 6th.

I'd like to cut down BF% over the next month, mostly taking off the fat I've put on from GOMAD. The recovery for my surgery is only about a month, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to lift again and I'd rather not lose all of my muscle and just end up at 190 pounds of fat.

I'm stopping GOMAD and going strict paleo, but how should I structure my workout?

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2011, 03:45 PM   #2
Spencer James

Profile:
Re: Pre-surgery conditioning

I have heard reference to studies (and sorry, I don't have time to try to track them down now) that indicate that you can maintain more strength in a temporarily disable side/part of your body if you continue to exercise with its counterpart. So if your right shoulder is getting surgery, keep trying to do whatever lifts you can with your left. This might help minimize loss.

How long do you anticipate the recovery to be?
Old 05-09-2011, 09:17 PM   #3
Forrest MacDonald

Profile:

I've also heard that, but doing any compound lifts one-armed (such as squats, deadlifts, bench, power cleans, dips, chins, etc.) isn't really practical. The recovery is only supposed to be about a month. I should have decent mobility after two weeks. They're just removing a stray chip of bone or cartilage that is bugging me and is probably from my shoulder surgery in 2008.

I'm more interested in finding a plan that I can do up until my surgery... It will be easier to design a recovery plan once I get the operation and see how limited I am.

Sooo I guess what I'm asking is what's an effective routine for cutting? I realize that it's mostly diet, but what should I do for a workout? I've always just focused on bulking.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
Ryan Dell Whitley

Profile:

Strength is perhaps the most persistent of all physical traits. You'll be surprised at how much strength you will retain. The body composition stuff is going to have to be managed through diet, though.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:39 AM   #5
Sheldon Kreger

Profile:

I also think you'll be surprised at how much strength you retain, or how quickly it will come back once you can train again. I watched one of my best friends, 5'10 male, drop from 185+ to 145 or less in a matter of weeks. He took a trip to India and picked up some parasites. This led to a fungal infection that almost killed him. His jaw was locked shut, tongue swollen - it was absolutely crazy.

A month later, he was back up to 170+ and looked great. He wasn't training especially hard, either.

Totally blew us both away! He was in fantastic shape beforehand, though. He's actually the person who told me about CF, and almost everything useful I know about nutrition.

-sheldon
Old 05-11-2011, 08:59 AM   #6
Troy Peterson

Profile:

Focus on working out (which you're doing)
Focus on diet (which you're doing)
Avoid sugars/bad carbs pre & post op to limit imflammation

Seriously, you're recovery time is a month or so? And you're worried? When you'll have range of motion in 2 weeks? And talking about cutting/etc?

As someone who's coming out the back end of shoulder surgery (labrum repair, bone spurs removal) 5 months ago.....step back and approach it this way:

1. It's only a month or 2. And you're having surgery (after going under 3 years ago). 2 months is a spec of dust on the world that is your kitchen floor.
2. Focus your efforts on rehab post op as recommended by doc, PT. See what the target timeframe for recovery is. Make sure you hit it by doing the therapy/rehab.
3. Do some workouts as allowed with your free arm, etc. Obviously stay active as your post op recovery allows. Don't do anything to jeopardize recovery just to return a week earlier.
4. Eat well, to help you keep strength, aid in recovery and keep from becoming a slob (which is hard to do in 2 months).

I'm trying to tell you it'll be fine if you control your diet & do your rehab. Getting back to completing 135# C&J for Grace isn't a timed event. Focus on your recovery and 6 months, 12 months down the road you will be happier for it.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:58 AM   #7
Michael Dries

Profile:

I agree with Troy but I'll also add my 2cents.

Can you train hard now? If so then why stop what has been working? Keep doing what you're doing, put up as much weight on the bar and as much body weight as possible (without becoming a ball of lard) before the surgery.

The stronger and more muscle you have before, the less impact the 6-8 weeks off will have (because lets face it, if recovery is 4 week you're NOT going to just jump back to the same weight you were lifting before, you have work back into it).

If you try and cut weight before the surgery you WILL loose some muscle which may or may not drive you mad.

I say, keep lifting, get bigger and stronger and use the post op recovery time to do some fasted walking in the am, and the PT. During that time bring the diet back down to just below maintenance and let some of the fat come off.

Trust me, it'll be nice to go back to a time of "eat when you're hungry, eat till your full." Rather than pounding the food. It's a good mental break.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #8
Forrest MacDonald

Profile:

Thanks a ton guys, couldn't have asked for better responses than that.

You're all right, I'm over-thinking this surgery. Probably because my last surgery was such a tough recovery (had a labral tear also, Troy). I'll keep up the strengthening and will maintain muscle as much as I can post-op.

And I can imagine, Michael. Trying to get down 5,000 cals a day is exhausting haha.

Thanks again!
Old 05-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #9
Michael Dries

Profile:

Good luck with the surgery. I have labral tears in both shoulders. Though it really only effects my bench press. Over head work seems to make it feel better.

One day I'll go under the knife. I just know it's a long recovery.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:14 AM   #10
Forrest MacDonald

Profile:

That it is. Fortunately my 2008 labral repair has held up (plastic anchors et al). I started feeling pain again in January after completing a set of squats and was out of commission for a few days. Got an MRI a few weeks later and luckily it's just a loose piece of bone or cartilage or plastic that's getting caught in my joint. Just gotta get it pulled out real quick.

The worst part of shoulder injuries is that they keep coming back... Good luck with your tears man, hope they don't give you too much trouble.