CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 02-13-2006, 08:45 AM   #1
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
Just wanted to thank everyone involved with this last weekend's seminar at HQ (even though I can't extend my legs without grimacing). I had a great time meeting all of the affiliates and coaches, and all of the other participants. Special thanks to Coach and Lauren, Nicole, Tony, Annie (congratulations), Eva, Coaches Rutherford and Burgener, Jeff Martone, John Hackleman, Roger Harrell, Jesse Woody, and any other presenter that I may have inadvertently missed. I am definitely fired up to get a workout going...once I can walk normally again.

Ken
Old 02-13-2006, 11:20 AM   #2
Sean Pizel

Profile:
I want to especially thank Coach Rippetoe. A bunch of us kept cornering him and forcing him to correct our deadlifts and back squats. He was exceedingly generous with his time.

Thanks a bunch, Coach

(Message edited by sean on February 13, 2006)
Old 02-13-2006, 11:21 AM   #3
Sarah Sweeney

Profile:
Thank you so much Coach! I have never meet so many inspirational and supportive people at the same time! I have so much information and good ideas I don't know where to start! I have a new level of motivation and am excited to get started (although I too am a "little" sore.) It was great to meet so many of the affiliates, Crossfit Central - you guys are great and kept us laughing! Carey, hope you post a picture of your new arrival when he/she comes!! Thanks again Coach, Lauren, Annie, Nicole, Eva, and all the "blue shirts". I have never felt more part of a team or family then after meeting all of you! Thank you.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:24 AM   #4
Mike Minium

Profile:
Great work this weekend, Ken!

It's always nice to put names with faces.

Mike

Old 02-13-2006, 11:31 AM   #5
Mike Minium

Profile:
I second Sean's thanks to Coach Rippetoe (yet another outstanding coach that's become part of the CF family).

Anyone who can fix my deadlift gets serious props!

I was also a spectator (with a little input now and then) in a discussion of politics between Coach Rippetoe and Fireman Tom during Friday night's dinner. Great stuff on the training floor and off--I guess that's typical of CF, though.

Old 02-13-2006, 12:51 PM   #6
Adrian Bozman

Profile:
Thanks to everyone involved. Truly an inspirational weekend!
Old 02-13-2006, 03:32 PM   #7
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
I had a terrible time!

Okay, you caught me. The seminar was awesome, especially since nobody killed themselves on the pull up bar contraption I made.

I hope Greg E's hip is okay, it was bothering him on Sunday due to some unilatteral thrusting in the wrong direction.

. . .and it was total B.S. when everyone called me out on Saturday doing pull ups on the rotating bar using a "one-hand-reverse grip". It's not my fault I learned to work smarter not harder (I could probably only pull off like 5 with both hands overhand).

(Message edited by jjones on February 13, 2006)
Old 02-13-2006, 04:30 PM   #8
Skip Chase

Profile:
World Class!!!!!! If you have not invested in a cert, get to the next one!!!
Old 02-13-2006, 04:47 PM   #9
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
I just want to echo all the previous comments. I hate to sound like a broken record...but once again, this one was even better than the last. Seriously, I'm not kidding. Somehow Coach, Lauren, the coaches and the rest of the staff manage to top themselves every time. That's a pretty awesome thing, and a little scary. Apparently the sky actually IS the limit.

I am always humbled to be in the presence of so many great and accomplished people, and this weekend was no exception. You will not find a finer, more considerate and more knowledgeable group of fitness professionals/aficionados than you will at a CF seminar.

If you've not yet been to one, I can't recommend it highly enough. Get there, you will NOT regret it.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:50 PM   #10
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Wow. What a weekend. Whatever you thnk you like about the CrossFit babes, no matter how lofty is the pedestal you have put them on, you have no idea how amazing they are until you see them, meet them, get yelled at by them in person. They are beautiful, graceful, powerful and many other things that end in ful. Annie did some pullups and pulled all the way to her knees. They had to put a dumbbell between her crossed angles to slow her down. Didn't. She same choo-choo song as she banged out pullups easier and faster than I can squat. Squat? Faster than I can chew fer chrissakes. Later she did and L-sit rope climb and went up the ropequick as you please. Any delusions I have of CrossFit adequacy are quickly dispelled in her presence.

Then there's Nicole. She was the demo person for a number of things and at one point Coach told her to do a sumo dead lift improperly by bending her arms too soon. It took her several tries to get it wrong and it was a struggle for her to screw it up. That's one, the only one, thing I have on Nicole...I rock at doing things wrong. I can round my back, pull early, lift with inactive shoulders, lean forward too far or squat with my heels up way better than her. As we were laying in bed talking...(I pause here for dramatic effect) Larry and I (we were on separate air mattresses in Beth Moscov's house you freaks...and we didn't go see Brokeback Mountain, together. Or apart for that matter, sheesh I'm so sure)wondering how we could knock off Tony (just kidding...sorta) in between perfectly normal and acceptable fantasy moments discussed how she looks way better than any body builder chick ALL the time even when they diet down for contests AND her muscles are functional and just a happenstantial by product not the end product of her training.

CrossFit rocks and nothing is more expressive of that than a CrossFit seminar. There are more amazing people than just Annie and Nicole of course but it is Coach that deserves the highest praise for getting all of this started. Oh, it was the FIVE year anniversary of CF on day 1 of the seminar in case you didn't know. Coach tells the best stories and has an absolutely perfect tempo and delivery. No amount of reproduction in print does justice to the way he can deliver a story to make a point or just to make you laugh.

Jesse Woody closed the seminar with a Power Point presentation on Parkour which was nothing short of amazing. It is gymnastics the way CrossFit would do it. Check out www.americanparkour.com and take a look at what tru agility is. You will want to buy the video when he finishes it. Spectacular stuff.

There's more of course, lots more. I have 25 pages of raw info and there are photos to add and other thoughts still swimming around in my head that I will comit to paper for the next installment of the seminar notes. Look for them here in the Community section within the next 2 weeks or so. It takes me a while to compile everything into a worthy document.