CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
James Davidson

Profile:
Getting Deadlift closer to Squat Numbers

What are some ways to get my deadlifts closer to my squat numbers?
I sumo squat 635lbs,
regular highbar squat around 580lbs,
but the best deadlift I can get is 450lbs whether sumo or regular stance.

Think maybe it might be form? I need assistance exercises?
What are your thoughts?

I'm 6'3"/ 196lbs, long arms.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Getting Deadlift closer to Squat Numbers

That sounds way off assuming you're squatting to full depth. Is the problem getting the bar off the floor or getting it to lockout? Or gripping it?

How often do you deadlift? What kind of sets/reps do you do when you deadlift? What other hamstring/glute work do you do?

Post a video of your deadlift form so we can see if there's a problem.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
James Davidson

Profile:

I do not squat A2G but I do break 90. My problem is getting the bar off of the floor. I will try to get some video up of my deadlifts later this week. I pretty much only squat, press, bench press, deadlift and pull ups.

I squat 4-5 times a week but only 2 workouts of an actual 5x5 set, the other days I work to about 585lb as a warmup for other exercises.

I deadlift 2 times a week with a 5x5.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Davidson View Post

I squat 4-5 times a week but only 2 workouts of an actual 5x5 set, the other days I work to about 585lb as a warmup for other exercises.
I cried with envy... Nice numbers though
Old 05-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
Michael Dowling

Profile:

I'm just amazed you squat 600+ lbs and have this question for us, I feel like I should be asking you how to get a 600 lbs squat.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Davidson View Post
I do not squat A2G but I do break 90. My problem is getting the bar off of the floor. I will try to get some video up of my deadlifts later this week. I pretty much only squat, press, bench press, deadlift and pull ups.

I deadlift 2 times a week with a 5x5.
No wonder you're not making much progress on deadlift.

Every good strength program I'm aware of only has people pull heavy deadlifts once a week, and then it's only for a single heavy set of 5. Doing 5x5 deadlifts taxes you too much to recover in time for the next day, and is also too much volume for you to really be able to go heavy on them all. A 5x5 deadlift probably isn't anywhere near your 5RM.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:23 AM   #7
Harish Shetty

Profile:

Squatting 4-5 times a week and deadlift twice a week. dude thats quiet a volume, difficult to progress from this volume.

Are you squatting n pulling the same day ????

btw those numbers are awesome !!
Old 05-31-2012, 02:40 PM   #8
James Davidson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harish Shetty View Post
Squatting 4-5 times a week and deadlift twice a week. dude thats quiet a volume, difficult to progress from this volume.

Are you squatting n pulling the same day ????

btw those numbers are awesome !!
I squat and pull on different days unless I am just doing single squats as a warmup. I have been able to add weight to all of my lifts every workout so far and I started at 190 and now I weigh 202lbs from May 1 until now.

Last edited by James Davidson; 05-31-2012 at 02:42 PM..
Old 05-31-2012, 04:01 PM   #9
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

first of all, we need more info. what is your age? what is your percent bodyfat? what are your goals? what program are you following? (or do you just make up your own programming?) what is your diet? what supplements do you take? what does a typical training week look like? (all lifts, met-cons, sports, cardio, etc)

i also have a couple of additional questions about the lifts. how are you lifting? are you wearing a belt, knee wraps? Are you squating ATG or just to parallel? Do you bounce hard out of the bottom of your squat? and on deadlift, do you use any straps or grip assistance? what is your sticking point on deads? is your grip an issue? is it hard to get it moving? or do you have trouble locking it out? Have you tried different deadlift stances and positions? and what shoes are you wearing when you squat? when you deadlift?

i also agree with the other comments that you probably have way too much volume and are overtraining. if you are squatting 4-5 days a weeks and deadlifting 2 days a week, and you are doing it on different days, that means there are no rest days?

the best bet is to post a video of squat and deadlift and we can provide better feedback.

also, depending on your age and years of experience, you may be wise to find a good coach because you very well may have the genetics to compete at a very high level.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:50 PM   #10
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Volume and over-training aside, you're at a BW of 202 and you HBBS 580lbs and you can only DL 450? Something is way out of wack. I mean you must be doing something right to get your squat numbers up so high but something doesn't compute here for me.

I don't mean that in an insulting manner either. When you say you have problems getting it off the floor, does your grip fail or, and as silly as this is about to sound you're just not "strong" enough to pull it?