CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-22-2010, 11:58 AM   #51
Jay Rhodes

Profile:
Re: Concerned what effect the 2010 programming will have on future competitors :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Christensen View Post
Exactly and I 100% agree. This is what I said in a few threads a few days ago. Like your post, everyone ignored mine too. BUT...it is the solution I think.
Love the look of those events, and I think they would do a better job of testing WCABTAMD. Not to mention I would love to watch that. The Games were still great, but they seemed to lack the excitement as a spectator that the last 2 Games had. That final event was brutal. Having the athletes and the spectators knowing exactly what has to be done for each athlete to win IS exciting.
The battles that Mikko and Tommy had last year, and Josh and Jason the year before were epic.
This year I found myself not even bothering to try and add up point totals from 3 events at once. I was just thinking okay its either Graham or Rich and Spealler is likely to move up.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:37 PM   #52
Daniel Lyell

Profile:
Re: Concerned what effect the 2010 programming will have on future competitors :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Ben, that's a great idea. I proposed a similar idea a few weeks ago.

This is my proposed CrossFit Games (or Fitness Games, since CF will never adopt it):

Day 1:

1RM Deadlift
1RM Bench press
Secret Service Snatch Test (10 minute AMRAP KB snatch 24kg)
"Fran"
10k run

Day 2:

100m dash
Max strict pullups with 10kg belt
1RM Snatch
Triathlon: 1000m row, 200m swim, 1000m run

Here's why I think it's the best best of fitness you can fit into a weekend:
  • 9 events, and no particular quality dominates them all
  • all energy pathways used
  • utilizes the 4 basic movements: opening of hips, closing of hips, pushing, and pulling
  • balanced between upper body and lower body
  • easy to judge (Fran and SSSN being the exceptions)
  • there are advanced standards for each of these, so athletes know where they need to improve.
  • logistically simple to organize
  • tests raw endurance, strength, power, speed, and muscular endurance
  • balance, agility, coordination, and accuracy are all tested, but all of these are things that the average athlete should be able to do with little skill training
I love this idea. People seem to get all up in a bunch over the crossfit games not being a mere compilation of CF daily wods. CF (imo) is a training methodology to better prepare someone for physical tests or tasks. So why on earth would the games be merely a grouping of training events thrown together, instead of a broad physical test? Sure, some crossfit training wods are also good physical tests, but as we've already beat into the ground, we also need tests of pure strength, endurance, etc.

A grouping of crossfit training events merely tests who is the best at crossfit, which is fine, but the distinction needs to be made.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:40 PM   #53
Marcel Zwinger

Profile:

it was too complicated. if it's too complicated (especially for no good reason) nobody will bother.

the '08 finisher was epic! of course this is a one in a lifetime event.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:41 PM   #54
Marcel Zwinger

Profile:

love the events you all have suggested, btw
Old 07-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #55
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

A few comments:

1. Getting a little exotic with events seemingly has it's consequences. We saw that in the hammer/stake event in that the guys with construction/fireman backgrounds did well because they had done similar things before. The wheel barrow is very similar. It may seem perfectly normal but if you've never used a wheelbarrow before it does have some tricks. i.e. one guy was keeping the feet very close to the ground so that if it started to tip he could catch it.

2. Having a rope climb favors people with experience climbing a rope..as we saw with Froning. This has a tendency to eliminate folks who don't attend an affiliate since they won't likely have a place to hang a rope. Or they have to know the event is coming somewhat so that they can prepare by going out of their way to find a place. I have a rope but can't figure out any good place to hang it

I'm mentioning this not just because of rope climbs, but anything similar that requires specialized equipment starts to favor those with the money/room/access to actually have that. I'm sure something like a prowler has some sort of trick as well.

But if you can get exotic enough that little to nobody has tried it, then you have a chance at leveling the playing field. i.e. caber toss or something.

3. Get rid of double unders already. Those are a skill, a mostly crossfit only skill.

4. How come there are no throws of any sort? Is throwing for distance/accuracy too skill based or something? Seems like throwing an object is pretty useful and I'd like to think the fittest could huck an object a decent ways. They preach accuracy as a skill but never really test it.

5. And the plandomization article brings up some good points. Maybe if I would have spent a month just learning how to snatch last year I wouldn't still blow at it after crossfitting for 2 years.

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier : 07-22-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #56
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin McCallon View Post
Unknown and unknowable, you say?
Agility, balance, and coordination are components of fitness, too. Rope climbs and pistols are one way of testing those, but if you've got a non-Crossfit event that you like better, that's fine too.

I would be very sad, though, if the less measurable aspects of fitness were ignored in the interests of "better" measures of strength, speed, and endurance.

Katherine
Old 07-22-2010, 01:34 PM   #57
Justin McCallon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Haxmeier View Post
A few comments:

1. Getting a little exotic with events seemingly has it's consequences. We saw that in the hammer/stake event in that the guys with construction/fireman backgrounds did well because they had done similar things before. The wheel barrow is very similar. It may seem perfectly normal but if you've never used a wheelbarrow before it does have some tricks. i.e. one guy was keeping the feet very close to the ground so that if it started to tip he could catch it.

2. Having a rope climb favors people with experience climbing a rope..as we saw with Froning. This has a tendency to eliminate folks who don't attend an affiliate since they won't likely have a place to hang a rope. Or they have to know the event is coming somewhat so that they can prepare by going out of their way to find a place. I have a rope but can't figure out any good place to hang it
These problems are fixed by having a ton of varied events. If you've got parkour, strongman, swimming, rowing, running, military-ish, construction-ish, agility, throwing, jumping, etc, etc. then nobody is going to be a "master" of all of them. And in the case that they are masters of them all then they deserve to win.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #58
Kevin Bensette

Profile:

I'm going to start training for the 2011 Games now, here is my new schedule.

Monday - Gymnastics class, the only one I could find was for girls 8 years and under. But I passed the criminal bacground check, so I'm allowed to join the class now that they know I'm not a pedo.

Tuesday - I joined a speed skipping group, luckily I had a copy of my background check and they just called the police station to verify it.

Wednesday - Taking a high school gym class to get better at climbing ropes

Thursday - Run 10k then try to break 300 pounds on crossfit total

Friday - Running around my block with 200 pounds of weight in my wheelbarrow

Saturday - 3 WOD's with 25 seconds rest between each

Sunday - Rest

Of course I'm joking, but imagine if this was my training routine for the last 6 months? I would have dominated the 2010 games...

Guys...again, I'm joking. Just having some fun...
Old 07-22-2010, 02:33 PM   #59
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Haxmeier View Post
A few comments:

5. And the plandomization article brings up some good points. Maybe if I would have spent a month just learning how to snatch last year I wouldn't still blow at it after crossfitting for 2 years.
Focusing on weaknesses should be a no-brainer if you want to compete...
Old 07-22-2010, 02:47 PM   #60
Justin McCallon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Agility, balance, and coordination are components of fitness, too. Rope climbs and pistols are one way of testing those, but if you've got a non-Crossfit event that you like better, that's fine too.

I would be very sad, though, if the less measurable aspects of fitness were ignored in the interests of "better" measures of strength, speed, and endurance.

Katherine
Wasn't my point.

You have said a few times in this thread that we should have known muscle-ups and other stuff like that would be in the Games because they are on the CF WODs all the time.

That's not a test of unknown/unknowable.

That point is that the Games are a test of someone's abilities at the crossfit movements and not at WCABTAMD (although the CF Movements are varied, they don't come close to covering everything).