CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 11-12-2009, 09:25 AM   #1
Jeremy Rodgers

Profile:
SS Form Check, squat, bench deadlift

Hi everyone,

Trying to get back into the swing of things and want to do a 2-3 month cycle of SS to focus on getting the strength up. Please take a cook and comment on form if you have a chance. This was my first time taping myself and it was interesting to see some mistakes I pickup in others vids.. but had no Idea I was doing ..

Squat 135 warmup http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbRX0slZm1w wfs
Squat 165 set 3 I think http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epIjj...eature=channel wfs

Bench 125 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZOPy...eature=channel wfs

DL 95 warmup http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR7Wvo67Bwk wfs
DL 185 workset http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjCtc...eature=channel wfs
dl 185 Solo Rep (after watching prev vid) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pDeGOxStIk wfs

Thanks.. I'd love any comment critique, etc.. will try to provide better angles next time!
Old 11-13-2009, 10:04 AM   #2
Jared Ashley

Profile:
Re: SS Form Check, squat, bench deadlift

squats:

Overall form is good and i can tell you're trying to get to parallel... but you're stopping just shy. Need to go about 2-3 inches deeper. It's very important, because you're stopping right where the sticking point is for most people.

You have a squat rack, why on earth are you squatting outside the rack? At some point you're going to encounter failure, and you're going to want those saftey bars there to spot you. The safety bars serve another purpose... if you set them at 1-2 inches below your true parellel, and practice coming down just until the barbell touches the saftey bars, it'll help with building your muscle memory for depth.

deadlifts:

since you posted a 2nd video at 185, I think you already know your back is rounded... quite a bit. The single rep is marginally better, but still not great. To be truthful, even your warmup at 95 shows rounding and the hips coming up before the shoulders, even though you obviously can easily handle the weight. I think for this lift you really need to go back to working substantially below your 5RM until you've got the form rock-solid.

for me, one thing that really helps me prevent rounding is to retract the shoulder blades during the setup, and focus on them during the initial part of the lift... at heavy loads I can't actually keep them retracted, but focusing on them seems to keep my entire posterior chain engaged. That is only one cue... SS and other people will have others that are just as good, you'll have to try different things and see what works for you.

Bench looked good to me, but it's hard to see much, and it's the lift I know the least about.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Squat: go deeper and squat inside the rack.

Bench: I can't exactly tell from this angle, but it seems like you are not making the barbell travel in a straight up and down line, you are bringing it down at an angle. Also not sure if you did this: make sure to keep your shoulders retracted and tight, so there is space between your lower back and the bench; this shortens the ROM and provides a solid base on which to bench.

Deadlift: definitely lower the weight, you set up to the bar with a rounded back. I had the same problem as you, what I did to fix it was contract my chest and lats really hard before I pulled. Also, pull the slack out of the bar before you lift it, this will help in making your shoulders and hips rise at the same time instead of the hips rising first.

Like you said, try to get better angles next time, from the side. For the squats, do one from the front too so we can see if your knees are collapsing in or not,.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:46 AM   #4
Graeme Howland

Profile:

Others touched on the squat and deadlift. For the bench:

1) Keep your head on the bench, your looking up and forward. You should have head flat on the bench and be looking straight up, focus on a point on the roof (this is in SS)
2) This will help you keep shoulders retracted and in
3) Drive your legs into the floor more, this should also help you push your shoulders harder into the bench and make the move feel more stable and powerful
4) Take a deep breath with the barbell locked out above you, then lower it down and press it, breath out when the barbell is nearly locked out again. You look like you are breathing in on the way down. This makes a huge difference in tension, I struggled with this when I started SS.