CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-03-2006, 06:10 PM   #1
Frank Menendez

Profile:
I notice when you go with a Zone/Paleo kind of eating, you can't help but repeat a lot of the core foods... I mean there is some diversity but ultimately you eat the same foods:

meats (eggs, chicken, fish, meat, turkey)
veggies (alittle more diversity here but i find myself eating lots of broccoli)
fruits (apple, pear, grapes, berries, melons, banana)
nuts (almond, macadamia, pecans)

is that fine?
Old 06-03-2006, 06:48 PM   #2
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Frank,
I look at it this way, if I was living off my environment how much variety would I really have? To be honest particularly in winter if I weren't going to migrate south I would be pretty low on veg matter not to mention fruits. I consider that nuts and meats would be available in fair abundance as most northern animals don't migrate south so the bit of carbohydrate available would have to be enough. So now that I can go foraging at the grocery store I figure I'm pretty well off with the "Florida" oranges, grapes, apples, pears, melons, spinach, broccoli, and everything else that wouldn't normally occur in my environment during winter.

I figure that if I live according to my environment then add a few imported items as per maybe the environment of my lucky california based friends. I will have more then enough variety! My survival should be secured! That is also just an assumption with not a shred of scientific backing. I ok with that because it seems logical and to be working for me!
Old 06-03-2006, 07:04 PM   #3
Frank Menendez

Profile:
Oh I absolutely agree with you, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything... After eating the same foods for oever 4+ years, changing to this is no different, and makes more sense :-) So I AM on track?
Old 06-03-2006, 09:43 PM   #4
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Well Frank these are just my opinions though I would say yes you're on track, but Rob Wolf, Garrett Smith or Greg Everett might have more info for you so I would defer to their experience before saying that is deffinative!

Frank here is a list that I pretty much live by save the odd (very odd and usually debilitating) cheat!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf The Intermittent Paleo-Zone.pdf (36.4 KB, 463 views)
Old 06-04-2006, 03:32 AM   #5
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Pierre;

Great article, thanks for the link.

Jay
Old 06-04-2006, 06:36 AM   #6
Frank Menendez

Profile:
Thanks Pierre! So you use all those oils eh? Either you cook with them or sprinkle them on items?
Old 06-04-2006, 10:34 AM   #7
Kathryn Steen

Profile:
thanks for the article, Pierre. i saw on another thread that you eat 10-12 blocks and i was wondering how big a guy you are. i'm the same weight as you, but often i feel when i eat less than about 15-17 blocks, i am ready to knaw my arm off. this article really helped me see how you got things working for you.
2 more questions if you don't mind--do you do only the WOD or do you do other things as well (SPP, active job etc)? did you use the standard (around here) .7 activity factor in calculating those blocks?
thank you
Old 06-04-2006, 03:09 PM   #8
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Frank,
as per the oils I buy the small bottles of oil (250ml) and use them at different times. Most often to be honest I sprinkle them on my eggs or meat even fish after I'm done cooking. If I cook with oil I use either high stability canola or coconut oil. Tip on the canola is that if its made in Canada the standards put in place here over the last decade have really made for an excellent (stable) cooking oil. I try to vary my fat content as much as my protein and carbs but often cost is the deciding factor, and so avocados and olive oil are the staples.

Kathryn,
As you noticed I'm about 150lbs and pretty stable there now. I get that question alot about the hunger issue. Rarely am I hungry. And when I started I had used the standard 0.7 activity factor which brought me to 14-15 blocks. Oddly enough when I was only zoning and on 14 blocks I lost so much weight I went down to 135lbs in January. While I felt fine I wasn't as strong as I should have been and I got tired very easily. At about late February I started IF again because of the insane schedule I had. Did this for a month and put on some weight (back up to 145 with some bodyfat to add) in mid march. Since mid or end march (not exactly sure) I decided to go back on my zone-fast cycle that I described in the document above and hit it pretty hard. To be honest my 10-12 block requirement came from nothing more then economic reasons. I've been saving every penny I , support myself now that I'm out of the military. And I needed a way to eat, off no more then $45 per week. I did the math and 10-12 blocks was all I could muster. Oddly enough I've put on some really lean weight while on this protocol, "Weird EH!" I've broken most of my PRs and other than a shortened recovery time I've noticed only positive things from it.

Activity factor can be described as such: From Friday June second and previously I was in the Army!
Wake up 06:00,
PT 07:30 (CrossFit WOD),
Report for training 09:30,
lunch break 11:30(Train Weightlifting),
Report for training 13:00,
End work day 16:00,
Hang out and train gymnastics based movements or lifting depending on mood for the remainder of day. (Have no social life, training and reading about training is what I do for fun) Oh and hang with the friends and have the odd beer.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:20 AM   #9
Kathryn Steen

Profile:
Pierre--thanks for the response. i'm trying to get things dialed in a little better and that helps alot. with my job, IF would certainly be convenient, as long as i am not also distracted by hunger. and hey, who can argue with a few PR's thrown in for good measure!:happy:
thanks again
Old 06-05-2006, 11:17 AM   #10
Kurt Holm

Profile:
Pierre,

It's interesting to see that you've had good results with the 24 hour fast on the rest day. While I've had plenty of experience with longer fasts, I just started experimenting with IF and this idea seems like a natural to me. I will be travelling soon, which makes diet tinkering tough but, when I return I am going to give this a try.

At one point, for a very short period, I followed a "mono diet" in which I could eat as much of ONE food group at each meal as I wanted i.e. all fruit for breakfast, all meat for dinner, etc. It was very difficult to get used to but I have to admit I felt great.

Regarding that concept, I've always wondered how it would work incorporated into the Paleo/IF scheme. Seasonal fruit for breakfast, seasonal veggies for lunch, nuts for snacks and meat for dinner. It's really anti-Zone but wouldn't our Paleo ancestors have eaten copious amounts of whatever was handy rather than running around looking for 40/30/30 meal? And, pursuant to your point about seasonal variety, what if we relied on abundant carbs when in season and switched to a more protein dense diet when the carbs go away?

Just some thoughts. Thanks for sharing yours!