CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-21-2014, 07:26 AM   #521
Jon Campbell

Profile:
Re: 2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac Metz View Post
As much as you want to say that this is how the score is determined it is not, Andy is still "more right" if that is a thing. While its true each event is 1/7 of the total score, Andy went further into it breaking each events reps up to give a perspective of how heavily each event's reps were weighted. They didn't do a 1RM C&J so I'm not sure why you said that, I'm guessing you were referring to the weightlifting event style Hang Snatch event, which was included and had 3 attempts factored in.

I'm with Jason on this one.. 3 minutes for max distance regardless of how many attempts would have been better, or even saying you get 3 total attempts (to make the first 120ft) and either after you try 3 times or hit 120ft you have to use that attempt (assuming you make 120ft and head back). Either way, its not specifically the HS walk event itself that was so much of a problem, it was the way it was scored/ran. Even with the Hang Snatch event there was a built in room for error, Stacie Tovar is a great example of that. She was no repped, and then missed the 2nd attempt but still had a chance to make her 3rd lift and although it wasn't nearly what she wanted to hit it didn't put her in a hole so deep she couldn't dig her way out. With the HS Walk you literally got ONE try to get your best score.

To put that into perspective, what if you were at the games and the event was a 1RM Snatch/C&J/Thruster and you were told you get 1 try and if you don't make it you are done. Would you agree with that?

Are you referring to the ladder in which they had as many attempts as they wanted in the time limit (2 minimum, some athletes took 3)?

My reference to the C&J was based on last years games. You are correct that as long as you made your lift you could continue. What if you missed that first lift? You're one and done. No different here. The athletes really did have 3 chances. They were allowed 2 false starts (less than 10 ft). To be honest it really doesn't matter how many reps you get, if you can't walk 120ft on your hands trying 100 times isn't going to change that fact.

Since you don't like my C&J reference then how about the obstacle course at the games two years ago?

At the end of the day, whether you like it or not, each event is weighted the same. Everyone in the event has to do the same thing.

To your last point, why don't you ask Deborah Cordner Carson about that. Her 2011 games lasted all of 2 mins because she couldn't make the ocean swim.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:45 AM   #522
Diana Alt

Profile:

The impact that the handstand walk has had on the regional leaderboards is actually one of my favorite things about the competition this year. The people got up to 3 attempts to get past 10 feet and beyond that it was a measure of skill under pressure. This is all part of the sport, folks.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:05 AM   #523
Andy Luten

Profile:

Quote:
Watched some of Europe and must say the announcers were mixed bag, 1 was good the other I could not really make out what he was saying.
Rory McKernan was the American announcing for Europe, the other guy was Mads Jacobsen. He's Swedish and pronounces the athlete names (at least the Nordic ones) more correctly than Rory. It just sounds different to us because we're used to hearing the western pronunciation.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:17 AM   #524
Andrew Scheid

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer Blankenship View Post
Olympic athletes are not given automatic qualification or wild cards. Sam Briggs does not deserve one either based on being a prior champion. They used to have that rule and they changed it.

HQ should not invite individuals based on what they did in the past unless they invite all of them before the Open/Regionals and let others have those spots as they used to do. This is a sport where new names and competitors are improving and competing everyday.

Like I said I am in favor of a LCQ for any and all competitors who finished 1-2 spots out at their regional and HQ invites those athletes based on 1 day of performance.
Actually, the Olympics does take wild card athletes, though their reasoning is much different.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:07 AM   #525
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
I just want to know who decides who the announcers and interviewers for the regionals will be?
The announcers that bug me were floor announcers Kiki Dickson, and the Asian guy (don't know his name). Their commentary for the North Central HSW event where the female was basically doing splits for balance was pretty bad. (wfs) The announcers were laughing and almost making fun of her. How unprofessional. I think that would make it harder for the athletes to perform in that environment. There were a lot of comments in the youtube live chat window about how awful the announcers were. I couldn't stand to watch that region very much because it was so distracting - not contributing to the event at all.

I understand that doing emcee commentary for hours of heats is a challenge, but some of this sounds like verbal diarrhea.

Last edited by Christopher Morris : 05-21-2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:24 AM   #526
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
The announcers that bug me were floor announcers Kiki Dickson, and the Asian guy (don't know his name). Their commentary for the North Central HSW event where the female was basically doing splits for balance was pretty bad. (wfs) The announcers were laughing and almost making fun of her. How unprofessional. I think that would make it harder for the athletes to perform in that environment. There were a lot of comments in the youtube live chat window about how awful the announcers were. I couldn't stand to watch that region very much because it was so distracting - not contributing to the event at all.

I understand that doing emcee commentary for hours of heats is a challenge, but some of this sounds like verbal diarrhea.
Agreed, that was very unprofessional. It's not like they were just alluding to some short shorts she was wearing or something. Clearly, the whole point of the "jokes" were, "hey, look, her legs are spread, her legs are spread...." Tacky, to say the least.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:04 PM   #527
Joseph Medeiros

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer Blankenship View Post
Olympic athletes are not given automatic qualification or wild cards. Sam Briggs does not deserve one either based on being a prior champion. They used to have that rule and they changed it.

HQ should not invite individuals based on what they did in the past unless they invite all of them before the Open/Regionals and let others have those spots as they used to do. This is a sport where new names and competitors are improving and competing everyday.

Like I said I am in favor of a LCQ for any and all competitors who finished 1-2 spots out at their regional and HQ invites those athletes based on 1 day of performance.
I think you nailed it here. If they are gonna invite past champs, then just don't have them compete in regionals. If froning, khalipa, briggs, annie, and holmberg just didn't compete then that would open up more spots for other competitors. Not fair for one to take a spot and others not to
Old 05-21-2014, 12:04 PM   #528
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Beltran View Post
That's really interesting. Would be nice to know, which one in Europe you found better. They were Rory McKernan and a swedish guy, that was the announcer in Europe for the last years and organizes the Regionals event in Europe with Mikko Salo.
Rory didn't say very much, and the other guy knew a lot of the individuals, but talked about the events as if nobody of the viewers knew anything of Crossfit.

In Canada East Azadeh Bourumand (surely wrongly spelled) was one of the announcers and I found it really hard to listen to her. She didn't do anything wrong, I just found it exhausting.
I don't know which for europe I just know whatever was said about the events (not name pronunciations) my wife and I were like WTF did he just say?

As for Azadeh...don't get me started...my wife and I both thought she needed to talk less, and definitely talk less about her glory days...I don't know how many times she had to mention that she had competed, or that she had competed with so and so...other then that she honestly didn't seem to have anything useful to add.

I have to add ONE last thing about announcers/interviewers...for Canada East...who the hell picked the guy to interview people (he interviewed ADL and Camille a couple times) buddy doesn't even look like he has ever stepped foot in a gym! and he seemed out of his depth.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:14 PM   #529
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
I have to add ONE last thing about announcers/interviewers...for Canada East...who the hell picked the guy to interview people (he interviewed ADL and Camille a couple times) buddy doesn't even look like he has ever stepped foot in a gym! and he seemed out of his depth.
Agreed. He looked and sounded out of place.

At one point he said something to an interviewee (maybe it was to Michele after one of her battles with Camille) along the lines of "looks like we have a bit of a competition brewing," and then caught himself upon the brilliant realization that, well, it IS a competition. From that point on, I muted him any time that he was doing an interview.

- Mark
Old 05-21-2014, 01:31 PM   #530
Zac Metz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Campbell View Post
My reference to the C&J was based on last years games. You are correct that as long as you made your lift you could continue. What if you missed that first lift? You're one and done. No different here. The athletes really did have 3 chances. They were allowed 2 false starts (less than 10 ft). To be honest it really doesn't matter how many reps you get, if you can't walk 120ft on your hands trying 100 times isn't going to change that fact.

Since you don't like my C&J reference then how about the obstacle course at the games two years ago?

At the end of the day, whether you like it or not, each event is weighted the same. Everyone in the event has to do the same thing.

To your last point, why don't you ask Deborah Cordner Carson about that. Her 2011 games lasted all of 2 mins because she couldn't make the ocean swim.
Again, I am fairly certain you are talking about the ladder, correct? Which is not one and done, it is a time limit for the given weight. You can try 5 times if you had the stamina to keep lifting.

And did Deborah Cordner Carson get stopped after one try at swimming on the ocean? If not, it is not the same. She could have tried 50 times if she wanted. The whole point is the HSW was one try, and it was not on a skill/move that really tested anything more than if you had a gymnastics background. Even doing something like 1-2 minute for max MU, T2B, whatever would have been better.

As far as the announcers go, I did like that there was Mads in Europe who could talk a little more in detail about the athletes, but I definitely thought Canada East had some issues.