CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-31-2005, 05:38 PM   #1
Charlie Reid

Profile:
i've been doing a lot of experimenting with diets lately (zone, paleo, IF, WD) and i've found that eating heavy protein (animal proteins) during the day tends to leave me tired and lethargic. does anybody else experience this? I'm very active during the day and usually dont have a chance to cook a full meal until around 7-8pm. This is when i'll get a large chunk of my protein intake. During the day i've been eating light snacks(almonds, fruit, protein shake, vegetables, maybe hard-boiled eggs), but i'm wondering if this will affect my performance in the long run or cause a catabolic effect by not eating enough protein during the day? I've tried the warrior diet and found it's too little food during the day to support my active daytime activities.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:31 AM   #2
Bill Betts

Profile:

Barry Sears indicates that excess protein will cause a glycemic response. This would explain why you get tired. The animal protein is likely 20% fat which help to slow absorption but too much at once is still a "slug" of protein. Your protein consumption needs to be spread out over the day. You cannot consume the days protein requirements at one sitting. The zone intends to keep your consumtion balanced throughout the day at 30/30/40 prot/fat/carb. If you fall out of the zone at any point, do not attempt to "make up" the lost food intake, but instead, ensure you next food consumption is in the zone. That will be 30/30/40 prot/fat/carb and no more than 4.5 blocks at once. Try to spread your comsumption over 5 meals with no more than 5 hours between eating.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:11 PM   #3
Charlie Reid

Profile:
i know my protein is lean (below 20%), but watching my caloric intake might be the culrpit in the sluggishness. I think i will still try eating light during the day (no animal protein) while i'm active, and then consume meat at my evening meal(s). Good points.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:20 PM   #4
Brendan Melville

Profile:
I found that when I was sluggish, I was one or two blocks down from what I should have been at. When I upped my food intake even by just that little bit, it was like a surge of energy. Definitely think of that. As an offshoot to that, in my opinion it is better to eat over your razor thin performance threshold than to under eat it.