CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
Johan Holmberg

Profile:
Love crossfit but no box:(

Hi everybody! I am a new member from Sweden. I have been training CF for about a year combined with cardio and regular strenght exercises. I have noticed that i prefer the CF and want to do it more. The problems i struggles with is:

I have only access to a regular gym but with good equipment. But the thing is that when i for example do a Helen or cindy i need all stations clear of people. But they don´t understand that so if i want to to a god time it is highly probably that someone has taken the next station during this time. What to do? My thoughts are to do for example every bit in Cindy but separated. Like AMRAP 20minutes 5 pull ups then AMRAP 20min 10 push ups then AMRAP 20min 15squats and so on. This will give me the same body exercise as the Cindy but without interfering the others on the gym. Is this good or do you have other sugestions?

The other thing is strictly mental. When i do regular heavy weight exercises it is no problem but when i plan to do CF at the gym iam so affraid that everone judge me if i am doing right or wrong or that they think iam a fool because they have never seen someone in a regular gym jump like crazy in burpees, squats etc. This feeling is so anoying and i start to feel it can become a huge problem for my CF progress :/.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:
Re: Love crossfit but no box:(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Holmberg View Post
Hi everybody! I am a new member from Sweden. I have been training CF for about a year combined with cardio and regular strenght exercises. I have noticed that i prefer the CF and want to do it more. The problems i struggles with is:

I have only access to a regular gym but with good equipment. But the thing is that when i for example do a Helen or cindy i need all stations clear of people. But they don´t understand that so if i want to to a god time it is highly probably that someone has taken the next station during this time. What to do? My thoughts are to do for example every bit in Cindy but separated. Like AMRAP 20minutes 5 pull ups then AMRAP 20min 10 push ups then AMRAP 20min 15squats and so on. This will give me the same body exercise as the Cindy but without interfering the others on the gym. Is this good or do you have other sugestions?

The other thing is strictly mental. When i do regular heavy weight exercises it is no problem but when i plan to do CF at the gym iam so affraid that everone judge me if i am doing right or wrong or that they think iam a fool because they have never seen someone in a regular gym jump like crazy in burpees, squats etc. This feeling is so anoying and i start to feel it can become a huge problem for my CF progress :/.

as for people judging you, who cares? get over it. you should worry about your goals.

as for doing CF in a gym not designed for CF, that is hard problem. it is not fair for you to take up multiple stations or pieces of equipment at a time. the solution in every gym is different depending on space and equipment available, gym rules, etc. if possible i would try to go at a time of day when the gym is least crowded. attempt to move as much of the stuff you will need to one small area so you never have to leave your area. move a KB or barbell over to the pullup stand and then just say right in that spot if possible. however, on a workout like cindy, it wouldn't be right to sit right under the pullup bar the entire time and take up that station for 20 minutes. on a workout like helen where you have to run it becomes more difficult. so, you will have to be creative in your solution. but please keep fairness and courtesy to others foremost or else you will give yourself and CF a bad name and possibly lose the right to use the gym.

your absolute best bet is to just find a gym that is better for your needs or get what you need for your own home gym.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:

That doesn't sound like a very good idea to me...you're basically saying that you'd be doing as many pullups as you can do in 20 minutes, then switching to pushups then squats. For one, that's a ****-ton of pullups and for two, you're going to hit muscular failure pretty quickly and miss out on the conditioning benefits of a workout like Cindy. So no, your idea wouldn't accomplish the same thing as a workout like Cindy.

I second Andrew's advice to find another gym or to save money to build a home one.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #4
Johan Holmberg

Profile:

That´s my thought! With this training i loose all the benefits of changing between the reps and just focus on one at a time. I have recentley change to a better gym (the one i am talking about) but you see here in Sweden CF is not so big (yet) and the boxes they have are situated in the bigger citys only. I will combine own made WODs so i can use as lite space as possible but still get the benefitts and fun out of CF. And if i do the Cindy, Helenm Frelen etc. I will do it on times when the gym is low on people.

The thing is i need to work on are focus on being best at what i do and not focus on what other people think. The other mental thing is i am worried of things like will i make it? How will my body respond, how will i react if i "fail". But i heard that if you are worried before a WOD it is a good WOD
Old 02-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
Jesse Martin

Profile:

When I trained at a regular gym I followed protocols from a book called Cardio Strength Training, by Dos Remedios. Basically it is set up with Crossfit style cardio workouts (sort of) but using only a barbell, DB's, Kettlebells or bodyweight. He is real big on complxies, circuits and intervals. Everything is measurable the same way a WOD is. Basically you just pick a corner of your gym and go to work. I did it for years with no problems. Couple it with a weight training program and you are ace. In fact even though I have a Crossfit box available I still wind up doing a lot of those workouts because I feel that they are more concise and, generally more effective than jumping all over the place.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:55 AM   #6
Johan Dahlbäck

Profile:

Nice to see a fellow Swede around.

I work out about the same way as you. Mostly on my own in a regular gym.

My programme is more or less mainsite WOD:s following BrandX scaling. Sometimes it happens that the WOD gets messed up when someone taking my stuff. The way I see it is that it's not much of a problem unless your only goal is chasing seconds in Rx workouts. Even with some unplanned rest or a substitution in the middle of the work-out I get my training done.

And for the part of what others think of you. Start with knowing the mechanics of the movements. Take some one-on-one-coaching, reda books and watch videos, so you know how it should be done. Then it will be you who knows how to do exercises properly and that's all that counts.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
That´s my thought! With this training i loose all the benefits of changing between the reps and just focus on one at a time. I have recentley change to a better gym (the one i am talking about) but you see here in Sweden CF is not so big (yet) and the boxes they have are situated in the bigger citys only. I will combine own made WODs so i can use as lite space as possible but still get the benefitts and fun out of CF. And if i do the Cindy, Helenm Frelen etc. I will do it on times when the gym is low on people.

The thing is i need to work on are focus on being best at what i do and not focus on what other people think. The other mental thing is i am worried of things like will i make it? How will my body respond, how will i react if i "fail". But i heard that if you are worried before a WOD it is a good WOD
Your workout doesn't have to have a cute name to be a good one. If your gym has free weights, I'd start doing a program that allows you to squat/press/deadlift/bench heavy a few days a week, then do your conditioning work outside the gym since it sounds like your gym isn't a good setup for CF-style work. Buy a kettlebell and make a homemade sandbag and make up your own combinations of hill sprints, burpees, KB swings, sandbag work, weighted carries, etc.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #8
Johan Holmberg

Profile:

I will focus on developing and adapt me to the circumstances on my gym as far as it goes. It was a good advice to do the strength exercisess and then the cardio if not possible to do a complete (named) workout. It is fun to do own composed WODs and it seems like i often get the whole body exercised so i can´t do it so very wrong.

The other day i did burpees followed with kettlebellswing as first station. Then i did pull ups and toe to bar as second. I did these 3 times and my body was dead after that!

Ooh another swede. Great! Hej hej! I thougt sthlm had many CF boxes but i may have wrong? :/
Old 02-20-2013, 05:02 AM   #9
Johan Dahlbäck

Profile:

Quote:
Ooh another swede. Great! Hej hej! I thougt sthlm had many CF boxes but i may have wrong? :/
There are a few good ones in Stockholm, but none close enough neither to work nor home. Meanwhile there's a gym that's ok equipment-wise across the street from work and a powerlifting club next door where I live. So I do my work-outs on my own and get the programming and community on-line. Been at one of the boxes for personal coaching a couple of times though.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:39 AM   #10
Johan Holmberg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Dahlbäck View Post
There are a few good ones in Stockholm, but none close enough neither to work nor home. Meanwhile there's a gym that's ok equipment-wise across the street from work and a powerlifting club next door where I live. So I do my work-outs on my own and get the programming and community on-line. Been at one of the boxes for personal coaching a couple of times though.
I wish CF is growing bigger in Sweden! My thoughts were to set up a CF box where all the members are owners in that. Not a regular gym but some members that are sharing the spaces. Not for profit but for the possibility to do CF.

I bought me a 20kg kettlebell, puzzlemat, handstand pushup handles so i can do some home exercises. I think that is a good way to workout during the days you are short of time!