CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
Cristina Escobar

Profile:
Help for a potential beginner?

Hi,
I am a 17 year old girl and have heard a lot about crossfit. I have played sports for my entire life and play basketball and softball for my school. For whatever reason, I have always felt that I was out of shape despite this activity. I just got cleared to return to sports after I broke my foot three months ago, and at this point, simply walking up the stairs seems to be tiring. Im small (5'1" and 110) but looking to eliminate some excess fat and tone. I would attempt to do crossfit in my high schools gym alone, but Im not sure how to approach it. As I am out of shape, do you think it is possible for me to do crossfit? I'm just looking for some advice on starting coming from my position and whether or not crossfit would be do hard for someone like me.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: Help for a potential beginner?

You can scale any CrossFit workout, so it will work for just about anyone. If you decide to do CrossFit just make sure you do some strength work along with the Metcons.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Help for a potential beginner?

At 5'1" and 110lbs I highly doubt you need to lose any weight, but you'd probably benefit from getting stronger both in terms of improving your body composition and making you better at your sports.

70s Big has been doing a series of posts related to getting women started with strength and conditioning training--give this link (WFS) a look as well as the updates 1-6 linked in there. Lots of good information on that site.