CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-10-2011, 11:50 PM   #1
Skip Cooper

Profile:
One ring to rule them all...

I've always been kind of a DIY type of guy. From changing my own oil, to servicing and repairing the home AC, I feel a sense of accomplishment when I can complete a task without calling a "professional". Well, seeing as though I make my living repairing things and operating machinery, it only makes sense to me to attempt to be totally autonomous and self-sufficient.

Mainly due to the lack of funds, and partially due to my "cheapness" (my wife can attest), I have been researching different methods of making gymnastic's rings from PVC. I have a couple of questions that I hoped the CF community can help me with. I've exhausted an internet search and on this site and I can't seem to find some specific details. Maybe I'm overthinking it, though...

I'm looking for a standard width of the rings. I've found on the internet that the inner diameter, according to the International Gymnastics Federation (FIG), is about 17 centimeters (7 inches). But it does not state the width of the ring. From the tutorials I've seen on YouTube, most don't offer a size. One, maybe two, called for a 1 1/2 inch pipe (diameter). This seems awful big to me, but I have small hands. I asked my wife who was a gymnast and also coached gymnastics for years, but she wasn't sure. I think a 1 inch pipe is a good size and she agreed. She also said she thought that the rings were the same width as the high bar, but couldn't be sure since she never had to measure the bar--or the rings. Does the width of the ring matter so much? Should it be tailored to the size of my grip?

For those who've made their own rings, I've noticed they take a horseshoe or teardrop effect. This is not aesthetically pleasing to me, so my plan is to attempt to close the ring with either a slip tee or a coupling (both glued). I like the idea of the tee because it both closes the loop and gives the rope a path to travel inside the ring. If the ring needs to be able to slip, then the coupling may be a better choice and I can tie the rope to the ring. Does the ring need to be fixed or does it need to be able to slip...or does it matter either way?
Old 11-11-2011, 12:20 AM   #2
Tim Nakashima

Profile:
Re: One ring to rule them all...

Rogue sells their wooden rings at either a 1.25" (standard) diameter or the 1.11" (FIG) diameter. I've heard the smaller FIG rings work well for people with small hands.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:39 AM   #3
Ben Norris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Nakashima View Post
Rogue sells their wooden rings at either a 1.25" (standard) diameter or the 1.11" (FIG) diameter. I've heard the smaller FIG rings work well for people with small hands.
This

Seriously spend the money and buy a set of rings that will be around when you die that look amazing. Buy the Marpat straps to make them more Badass
Old 11-11-2011, 05:59 AM   #4
Aaron Cawley

Profile:

fringe sport has some wooden rings that are very nice. they are located here in austin. www.fringesport.com (wfs)
Old 11-11-2011, 06:10 AM   #5
Robert Ramos

Profile:

just got a pair from xfitrings.com (wfs) arrived at my door in like 3 days with standard shipping, excellent price/product
Old 11-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #6
Skip Cooper

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Nakashima View Post
Thank you, Tim.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:26 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Wow, another wooden rings supplier. Seems they are the rage now.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #8
Skip Cooper

Profile:

I ended up sticking with the FIG regulation 7 inch inner diameter and the project worked out quite well. I didn't achieve the full circle effect that I wanted, but what I have is functional (and it didn't cost me much). Now it's time to start some ring training...
Old 11-15-2011, 08:42 PM   #9
Anson Castelvecchi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Cawley View Post
fringe sport has some wooden rings that are very nice. they are located here in austin. www.fringesport.com (wfs)
These rings rock, and you can't beat the price.