CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 09-11-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
Summer Smith

Profile:
Life of a Drill Sgt?

So i havent been in that long so i suppose i dont really know what it takes or the kind of lifestyle but ive been thinking...i think it would be an interesting experience becoming a drill sgt. I even think to myself thats crazy because usually they pick soldiers to become drill sgts and then they are mad because they have no choice. Bit i sorta think it would be a kind of honor to be apart of that first step of soldierization. If you think about it they have one of the most important roles and have the first influence on new recruits. I know when i went to BCT it was one of the toughest things physically and mentally but some of my drill sgts i will never forget. Sure they were a****** but thats their job and i actually always found it funny. One of the funniest things was watching some of the people who couldnt follow simple instructions get smoked. Some people think its pointless for them to scream and get in our face but i dont. I think it helps with muscle memory and makes us sttonger mentally. I remember being a squad leader and etting amoked anytime one of my soldiers screwed up. I even had a friend i would volunteer to battle if she needed someone to get smoked with. I learned alot and i personally wouldnt mibd being in that role. but from what i did see, it is your life. My drill sgts were hardly EVER home and i can only imagine how tough
the job is but how many people can say they have been a drill sgt. Maybe Im crazy for it but i think itd be a
heck of an experience. Any drill sgts out there like their job?

Last edited by Summer Smith : 09-11-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
Doug Blankenship

Profile:
Re: Life of a Drill Sgt?

I would say most of them like their job regardless of which branch they're in. When I was in people sought out the proffesion, not the other way around.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:30 AM   #3
Summer Smith

Profile:

Thats what i hope to think but when i went through, towards the end some told us they hated their job and that they were forced into a two yr contract of becoming a drill gt. However we did have one or two who said they liked it..
Old 09-12-2011, 07:44 AM   #4
Michael Kelley

Profile:

I think there are some who like the glamor of the job, but once they get in and see the long hours, the on call time, and the concerns of being blamed anytime something goes wrong with a trainee, they shine comes off a little. That said, in the Army and the USMC it is a career enhancing job for an NCO, and most prefer it to recruiting duty (another option at that point in a career).
Old 09-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
Mike Barin

Profile:

Most prefer it to Recruiting or OC Duty, not that they necessarily love it it's a demanding job...and to be honest your drills should never have been talking to you like that, it's unprofessional.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:50 PM   #6
Summer Smith

Profile:

Yea i it was....it was at the end a few of them had talks with us about where they before they became a drill. One was in Germany 14 yrs and said he had missed it. Im sure ts not for everyone.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:27 PM   #7
Amber Napoleon

Profile:

I considered becoming a TI, but Air Force training is in San Antonio and I drove through that city during my second PCS. Oh, no, I will not live there. If I'm lucky, I'll never even VISIT again.

But it would be an interesting job. You'd be that one person in hundreds of peoples' military careers whom they'd never forget. That's kinda special.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #8
Summer Smith

Profile:

Im not sure where the schooling is but i went to basic at FT. Wood and i remeber all of my drill and ill never forget them. I think itd be awesome to be a drill.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:59 PM   #9
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Do you know any former drill sgts in your current unit? Gotta be someone there who can give you some no-BS answers and a better idea of specific demands of the job.

I'm familiar with things on the Marine Corps side but don't know anything about how the Army runs things.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:21 PM   #10
Summer Smith

Profile:

I know some but i was under the impression that we werent really supposed to talk to our drills? Id like some non BS answers but idk any drills. I could speak to some.of my drills if i wanted but i doubt theyd msg me back.