CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
Daniel Frankel
Member Daniel Frankel is offline
 
Daniel Frankel's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Thornhill  ON Canada
Posts: 1,508
An interesting conversation while shopping for Vibram's today.

Just to give a little back story, I was at the canfitpro consumer fitness and wellness convention 2011 with a buddy just because of a crossfit booth/challenge I had wanted to watch. The place was PACKED with supplement booths, zumba booths, and all these crazy As Seen On Tv Products (I will be making a youtube video sometime soon. Some bizarre stuff there). Anyways, point is I had been hearing nonsense all days from employee's who had no idea what they were talking about (vibration plates for strength and toning, 2:00 super slow squat for stability, and a bunch of other BS).

So afterwards, I headed to MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op) to look around and possibly get a pair of Vibram KSO's as planned. As I was trying on my third different pair to find the correct size, I notice a man in his late 20's who has been watching me and my "Crossfit: Forging Elite Fitness" shirt since I walked into the shoe department. Finally, while I am waiting for an employee to bring me out a 4th and final pair, he speaks up.

Guy: I see you're looking into buying some Vibrams.
Me: Yep.
Guy: I see you're a Crossfitter.
Me: That'd be correct.
Guy: Well, I just figured that I would let you know that these shoes are amazing for running in, and TERRIBLE for squatting. Seriously, run all you want, but just DO NOT SQUAT in these shoes.
Me: Alright, I'll keep that in mind.
Guy: No, I'm serious! You will destroy your back if you squat in Vibrams!
Me: Sir, out of sheer curiosity, have you ever squatted heavy before?
Guy: Only once, but yes, go on...
Me: And what type of shoes, may I ask, were you wearing?
Guy: My B-ball shoes! They're the best shoes that I have, I do everything in them.
Me: Yep, that makes a lot of sense. I figured as such.

Guy walked away because I think he started to realise that I actually knew a little bit more than he thought I did.

About 5 minutes after, a 40-something man came up to me and showed complete interest into the methodology of the shoe, and why I was getting a pair. He was eager to hear what I had to say, and it was nice talking to him. So, in the end I guess it neutralized out.

Oh, and I bought the Vibram's
__________________
Log | Youtube | M/18/69kg/5'6" | VO2 Max: 55.3 ml/kg/min | BS 163kg | FS 142kg | Sn 101kg | CJ 122kg |
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
Dave Traeger
Banned Dave Traeger is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Perth  WA Australia
Posts: 1,810
Re: An interesting conversation while shopping for Vibram's today.

You handled that better than I probably would have.

It should have been fairly obviously that you were getting running shoes for running and that you'd use lifting shoes for lifting, etc.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
Daniel Frankel
Member Daniel Frankel is offline
 
Daniel Frankel's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Thornhill  ON Canada
Posts: 1,508
Re: An interesting conversation while shopping for Vibram's today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Traeger View Post
You handled that better than I probably would have.

It should have been fairly obviously that you were getting running shoes for running and that you'd use lifting shoes for lifting, etc.
I don't have much intention to squat in Vibram's regardless, but it did get me thinking. If I squat in Converse (completely flat sole, no support), what would be the difference of squatting in Vibram's? Does anyone here do it?
__________________
Log | Youtube | M/18/69kg/5'6" | VO2 Max: 55.3 ml/kg/min | BS 163kg | FS 142kg | Sn 101kg | CJ 122kg |
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:53 PM   #4
Jason Wallis
Member Jason Wallis is offline
 
Jason Wallis's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Marshfield  MO
Posts: 1,182
Re: An interesting conversation while shopping for Vibram's today.

I did my first barbell back squats when I was 15 yrs old, and I'm 36 now. I've squatted in running shoes, chucks, high-top basketball shoes, vibrams, and barefoot. Most coaches will tell you that a shoe designed for lifting is the best, and it may be for most people, but I've always been most comfortable barefoot or in vibrams. To the point of your story... most people would be best served by minding their own business .
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
Daniel Frankel
Member Daniel Frankel is offline
 
Daniel Frankel's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Thornhill  ON Canada
Posts: 1,508
Re: An interesting conversation while shopping for Vibram's today.

I'm sure I could be squatting in Vibrams, but since I have converse i would rather use them as I am used to them and have used them for a year now.
__________________
Log | Youtube | M/18/69kg/5'6" | VO2 Max: 55.3 ml/kg/min | BS 163kg | FS 142kg | Sn 101kg | CJ 122kg |
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:41 PM   #6
Anson Castelvecchi
Member Anson Castelvecchi is offline
 
Anson Castelvecchi's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Salisbury  NC
Posts: 340
Re: An interesting conversation while shopping for Vibram's today.

I like squatting in VFFs. I'm sure I could add poundage by squatting with Olympic shoes, but I'm more concerned with my long term knee and back health.
__________________
Silverback Strength Equipment http://www.facebook.com/pages/Silver...017667?ref=sgm
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:46 PM   #7
Daniel Frankel
Member Daniel Frankel is offline
 
Daniel Frankel's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Thornhill  ON Canada
Posts: 1,508
Re: An interesting conversation while shopping for Vibram's today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anson Castelvecchi View Post
I like squatting in VFFs. I'm sure I could add poundage by squatting with Olympic shoes, but I'm more concerned with my long term knee and back health.
Might I be able to ask you to elaborate?
__________________
Log | Youtube | M/18/69kg/5'6" | VO2 Max: 55.3 ml/kg/min | BS 163kg | FS 142kg | Sn 101kg | CJ 122kg |
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:54 PM   #8
Michael Loucas
Member Michael Loucas is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fairfield  NJ
Posts: 1,373
Re: An interesting conversation while shopping for Vibram's today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anson Castelvecchi View Post
I like squatting in VFFs. I'm sure I could add poundage by squatting with Olympic shoes, but I'm more concerned with my long term knee and back health.
Please, elaborate. I never heard anything about knee/back issue when squatting in olympic shoes. Is this specific for a certin type? (Low/high bar, front, OH, etc).
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:22 AM   #9
Ben Norris
Member Ben Norris is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sunshine Coast  QLD Australia
Posts: 727
Re: An interesting conversation while shopping for Vibram's today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Frankel View Post
Just to give a little back story, I was at the canfitpro consumer fitness and wellness convention 2011 with a buddy just because of a crossfit booth/challenge I had wanted to watch. The place was PACKED with supplement booths, zumba booths, and all these crazy As Seen On Tv Products (I will be making a youtube video sometime soon. Some bizarre stuff there). Anyways, point is I had been hearing nonsense all days from employee's who had no idea what they were talking about (vibration plates for strength and toning, 2:00 super slow squat for stability, and a bunch of other BS).

So afterwards, I headed to MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op) to look around and possibly get a pair of Vibram KSO's as planned. As I was trying on my third different pair to find the correct size, I notice a man in his late 20's who has been watching me and my "Crossfit: Forging Elite Fitness" shirt since I walked into the shoe department. Finally, while I am waiting for an employee to bring me out a 4th and final pair, he speaks up.

Guy: I see you're looking into buying some Vibrams.
Me: Yep.
Guy: I see you're a Crossfitter.
Me: That'd be correct.
Guy: Well, I just figured that I would let you know that these shoes are amazing for running in, and TERRIBLE for squatting. Seriously, run all you want, but just DO NOT SQUAT in these shoes.
Me: Alright, I'll keep that in mind.
Guy: No, I'm serious! You will destroy your back if you squat in Vibrams!
Me: Sir, out of sheer curiosity, have you ever squatted heavy before?
Guy: Only once, but yes, go on...
Me: And what type of shoes, may I ask, were you wearing?
Guy: My B-ball shoes! They're the best shoes that I have, I do everything in them.
Me: Yep, that makes a lot of sense. I figured as such.

Guy walked away because I think he started to realise that I actually knew a little bit more than he thought I did.

About 5 minutes after, a 40-something man came up to me and showed complete interest into the methodology of the shoe, and why I was getting a pair. He was eager to hear what I had to say, and it was nice talking to him. So, in the end I guess it neutralized out.

Oh, and I bought the Vibram's
Arrr the good old I have no idea about training, I have never lifted heavy weights but my opinion is without doubt correct as I am older guy. They are lovely.

I walked into a new sports store (basically sell stuff for every sport but it is all the lower end stuff) that had just opened and was looking around as I had nothing better to do at the time. As I was leaving the manager came up to me with a confused look on his face and asked me about my Vibrams. At this stage I was in front of the massive shoe selection with every type of shoe to add "support and comfort for the perfect heel to toe running style" I told him what I use them for (Crossfit/ running but not O lifiting or LBBS or FS) I have to explain to people on a daily basis about my vibrams so i have got the speech down to a fine art!

He then in front of 2 customers asked if i had ever run in them before, and if so how far, this is how the conversation went.

Me: Yes I run in them all the time and the most i have run is probs a bit over 5km at one time, but I have been running in them for about 9 months now

Him: You run in them with a shocked look on his face kind of like this

Me: Yes why?

Him: That is so bad for you you need support when you heel hits the ground and explained the benefits of gel in shoes or something

Me: Facepalm. I then asked him to take off his shoes and run down the street attempting to heel strike.

Him: He decined and told me to come back in a year after I had had surgery on both of my knees and shin splits then laughed at me in front of the other customes.

Me: I was less than happy with this guys ignorance and his very unprofessional behavior but i decided it was just not worth arguing with somebody like that and left the store telling him to look up the tarahumara.

His parting shot at me was to tell me to come back so he could say I told you so after I had surgery, and that he would then sell me a "better" pair of shoes. I was stunned with his extremely poor attitude as I had done nothing except have the nerve to come into his shop as a potential customer???????

But I digress I hope you love your Vibrams as much as I love my Bikilas.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:30 AM   #10
Michael Loucas
Member Michael Loucas is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fairfield  NJ
Posts: 1,373
Re: An interesting conversation while shopping for Vibram's today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Norris View Post
Arrr the good old I have no idea about training, I have never lifted heavy weights but my opinion is without doubt correct as I am older guy. They are lovely.

I walked into a new sports store (basically sell stuff for every sport but it is all the lower end stuff) that had just opened and was looking around as I had nothing better to do at the time. As I was leaving the manager came up to me with a confused look on his face and asked me about my Vibrams. At this stage I was in front of the massive shoe selection with every type of shoe to add "support and comfort for the perfect heel to toe running style" I told him what I use them for (Crossfit/ running but not O lifiting or LBBS or FS) I have to explain to people on a daily basis about my vibrams so i have got the speech down to a fine art!

He then in front of 2 customers asked if i had ever run in them before, and if so how far, this is how the conversation went.

Me: Yes I run in them all the time and the most i have run is probs a bit over 5km at one time, but I have been running in them for about 9 months now

Him: You run in them with a shocked look on his face kind of like this

Me: Yes why?

Him: That is so bad for you you need support when you heel hits the ground and explained the benefits of gel in shoes or something

Me: Facepalm. I then asked him to take off his shoes and run down the street attempting to heel strike.

Him: He decined and told me to come back in a year after I had had surgery on both of my knees and shin splits then laughed at me in front of the other customes.

Me: I was less than happy with this guys ignorance and his very unprofessional behavior but i decided it was just not worth arguing with somebody like that and left the store telling him to look up the tarahumara.

His parting shot at me was to tell me to come back so he could say I told you so after I had surgery, and that he would then sell me a "better" pair of shoes. I was stunned with his extremely poor attitude as I had done nothing except have the nerve to come into his shop as a potential customer???????

But I digress I hope you love your Vibrams as much as I love my Bikilas.
The next time someone says the following:

Quote:
That is so bad for you you need support when you heel hits the ground
You should reply "I have plenty of support. They're called my ankles and my foot arches".
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Running in Vibram's FiveFingers Zach Mitchell Exercises 6 12-16-2008 06:35 AM
Did some online shopping today David Stitz Equipment 9 03-15-2008 07:38 PM
Conversation at the gym today Jonathan Kessler Community 4 07-19-2005 08:30 AM
Interesting conversation with a swimmer Ross Burke Fitness 3 04-02-2003 10:43 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.