CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 05-26-2010, 08:02 PM   #1
Nicole M. Burns

Profile:
Crossfit & Chiro

Hi everyone:

I have been working out on and off for years and I've always had problems going overhead. It usually starts out with a tight mid back and or trap and then it travels up to my neck and the result is a migraine type headache. I find myself walking around with my hand digging into my trap trying to loosen it up. I should also mention that I'm on the computer about 5-6 hours a day for work. This seems to be my stumbling block with CF. I end up having to go to the chiropractor to release it. Does anyone else deal with this and what do you do for it? If weekly chiro visits worked, I guess I would just have to do it. However, I usually just wait until the pain is so bad that I can't take it anymore and I don't like to make appointments My husband keeps telling me that once I build the muscle, this problem will correct itself. I am not so sure that is the issue. Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
James Napier

Profile:
Re: Crossfit & Chiro

I keep a couple different stretch bands at my desk and do shoulder dislocates often as well as stretch my neck, back and hamstrings regularly. Ask your chiro to show you some simple stretches you can do anywhere. Also, roll a tennis ball between your back and chair whenever you're feeling a tight spot - another trick my chiro showed me and you can't bruise yourself with it.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:54 AM   #3
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

Does your chiropractor do ART?
Old 05-27-2010, 07:03 AM   #4
Anthony Ricci

Profile:

Hey Nicole-let your Chiro watch your form. I am a Chiro but not enough info. So many muscles involved as well as obvious loss of stability of segments. The computer /work ergonomics 5-6 hrs a day shortens causes upper crosse syndrome (Janda). Don't guess-see your D.C. -can lead to bigger problems.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:13 AM   #5
Nicole M. Burns

Profile:

Thank you for the responses. I have been told to stretch it out, but I'm not exactly sure what to stretch and how to do it.

Andrew - I have just recently heard of ART and I am not sure if my chiro does this. I am going to be moving out of state and will have to find another Dr. I will be more careful in my selection this time around. My insurance is also going to change drastically and I'm worried about not having chiropractic coverage.

Anthony - my chiro did an x-ray and said that my neck pitches forward and this is what causes the majority of my problems. He normally just does an adjustment and if it's really bad I will do muscle stimulation.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:47 AM   #6
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Definitely find a chiro who does ART. I've been doubling up on gymnastics lessons for the last month to prepare for Regionals, and my shoulders take a beating. I was really tight, and going overhead sucked on a lot of days. Once my shoulders get that tight, it ends up traveling to my neck. Even foam rolling only does so much. I'm lucky because my CF coach is my chiro, haha. He worked on me right before the WOD at Regionals yesterday. I had no problem going overhead...5 lb PR!
Old 05-29-2010, 06:47 AM   #7
Justin Baum

Profile:

i've been dealing with a very similiar thing (without the migraines) for many years. Chiro's, even ones that know ART, provided only temporary relief. same with massages. finally i asked a family friend who is a physical therapist--he started me on a progressive set of neck exercises over the course of weeks/months that really made a significant difference. i believe they are all outlined in this book:

http://www.optp.com/Treat-Your-Own-Neck__803-4.aspx
w/fs

the other thing that another buddy, who is a personal trainer, taught me also helped was several exercises with bands. they are tough to describe here but if you email me off line i can do it (justinbaum34 at gmail dot com).

hope this helps. jb
Old 05-29-2010, 07:10 AM   #8
Trevor Shaw

Profile:

Good in site Justin. I'm a chiro as well and it always saddens me when I hear the term "only did adjusting" used. I'm my opinion that's like a power lifter who only benches, yeah you may be addressing part of the issue but what about the rest? Finding a chiro that does Graston, ART, MRT or any kind of soft tissue technique will insure you get more than just the adjustment

P.S. Mckenzie Protocol is awesome.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:29 AM   #9
Nicole M. Burns

Profile:

I knew that I could count on great advice from this board. Thank you very much for your responses. I've always felt like such a wuss when I complain about this, but it really does impact my life.

Tamara - Love your quote (lifetime Kings fan). I read your log and it is very inspiring.