CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-16-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
Eric DeAngelis

Profile:
Maintaining Strength

How often does one have to lift to not lose strength? I have read many different takes on this.

So say once every other week (twice a month) somone worked DL, Squat, Press...how much would my numbers drop here? For example they could use Wendlers 5/3/1 percentages on lifts and simply not increase the max?

Weekly training consists of 4 days BJJ and BW stuff after class, 1 day of sprinting/anaerobic threshold stuff, 1 day of skill work/yoga and 1 day rest and light yoga. BW stuff includes multiple sets of strict pullups, ring pushups, ring dips, HSPU, jump work, gymnastic skill work. I was hoping to sneak in 1 day of lifting every two weeks and keep a good percentage of my lifts. I am comming off of Wendlers method and current numbers are DL 325, BS 315, Bench 275, Press 175. I am 185 pound 25yo.

Again, NOT looking for strength gainsójust maintaining.

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:
Re: Maintaining Strength

It will change depending on your strength level. Two extremes, if you are completely untrained and weak, you don't have to lift ever to maintain strength. An Olympic weight lifter would have to lift regularly to maintain strength (I don't pretend to know how they train).

I would say, that if you aren't training to get stronger (SS, Crossfit, whatever). Then you will get weaker.

This goes for fitness as well. If at a point, you are adapted to best fit the natural world, then you simply maintain your state, eventually the world will change and you will then be unsuited for the world and die.

Have fun
Old 05-16-2010, 06:43 PM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Maintenance, probably 1x/week. Sort of depends on how strong/powerful you are in the first place.

I'm sure 1x/week won't allow for Elites to keep their strength levels up.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
Chris Mason

Profile:

At issue is the fact that most of your training will be eliciting an opposite adaptation relative to maximal strength.

I think what you are proposing may work. Give it a try and let us know how it goes. I know I am curious.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
Donald Lee

Profile:

Lyle has repeatedly said that you can maintain adaptations for a reasonable length by maintaining intensity, lowering volume by up to 2/3, and lowering frequency by up to 2/3.