CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-29-2009, 10:14 PM   #1
Ryan Byrnes

Profile:
Programming Question...Any Surfers out there?

I am putting this out to surfers who are trainers...or anyone with good programming knowledge for CF.

I surf 3-4 times a week. That said, I am wondering what kind of changes I should make(if any) in the daily WOD. I scale workouts that I can't finish and am tinkering with the idea of starting my own programming based of Glassmans arcticle on programming. With surfing I am doing a lot of pulling and hip flexion...and don't want to over do those in my WODs and diminish recovery. You all might need more info on me so ask away.

I am 24, 165# and 5'11. I CF 4 times a week. Generally M,T, Th, Fr. I generally surf...Weds, Fri, Sat, Sun. The surfing is based more on the swell though but that's the general split.

Thanks!

Ryan
Old 07-30-2009, 07:56 AM   #2
Owen Bird

Profile:
Re: Programming Question...Any Surfers out there?

I surf too but don't have a huge amount of CF/Programming experience compared with a lot of the guys around here, so let's make this more of a discussion and see what we can get out of it, eh?

To be honest I don't really coult surfing as proper exercise. For me it's certainly never been in the same fatigue league as WODs. The way I think about it is this: If I were to surf all day, what would be the weak link that would mean the end of a session. For me it is without fail my paddling strength. Usually my lats and post. delt. are the muscles that get thrashed first, maybe some trap.

I'm a little surprised that you count hip flex as a surfing muscle. How long are the rides in SD? I rode the Snapper superbank a few years back and that was about the only time leg fatigue came up from surfing, but it could have been something to do with the 1km jog back to the jump off...

The final aspect of fitness in surfing which I think counts is your ability to work hard for a short-to-medium period of time, for example if you get caught inside.

Maybe increased CV capacity will make hold downs a little more bearable?

I know this is kind of dancing around your question, but what I mean to illistrate is - Is there a part of surfing which I would see as interfering with my training? I don't really think so. Perhaps you can afford to cut out some CV stuff. I guess just eat more and carry on until it becomes a problem, then introduce more rest days.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:51 AM   #3
Ryan Byrnes

Profile:

Thanks Owen for your reply.

I guess for me, like you stated your paddling fatigue is the biggest kink in the surfing chain. That is one major area that I want to be careful of not overtraining with CF programming. It may be more comparable to intervals of running for a general metabolic affect but still, that much pulling I would think would influence an athletes overall fitness portfolio. Second, in regards to surfing not being proper exercise. Most surfers I know(whether aesthetically fit or otherwise) are practicing very athletic movements be it from the paddling, to the pop up, to the ride. The movement from paddle to pop up on a surfboard is a very athletic move, reminds me of any of the technical Olympic lifts that require vast amounts of coordination and skill, aka practice. That said, I agree that I never get winded like I do from Fran or other short, intense met-con WODs but I would definitely count surfing as exercise. Third, when I stated hip flexion I was referring to when you are paddling on the board, hips pressing outward, into the board itself generally while paddling. This again could be for a short time, or if the surf is heavy or you are paddling a distance it could be more fatigue on the lower lumbar area. I am not sure what you were referring to with legs getting tired from a long ride and hip flexion.

That all said, if I am surfing a solid 3-4 times a week. Lets assume 1.5 hr sessions. I will be pulling, pushing, flexing low back and popping through an athletic movement a variable amount of times.

I am mainly concerned about the shoulder joints though. All CFers use and overuse(in my case at times) these joints through repetitive pull-ups, push ups, presses etc. Granted if an individual is taking proper care to warm up and stretch it shouldn't be too big of an issue but when listening or reading on programming in CF attention is paid by staff to be aware of what has been trained in a WOD and what will be trained in a WOD before creating today's WOD. We probably wouldn't do pull ups, every day for a month straight, or maybe we would who knows!

All that said, my paddle is my sticking point just like you. Maybe incorporating some swimming intervals for a WOD a week or so might be a good move...
Old 07-30-2009, 10:45 AM   #4
John Devine

Profile:

Ryan, I think you'll be OK doing the WOD's. The only caveat may be a dip or PU centric WOD the day after paddling in big surf. I think the low resistance of the paddle and the fact that it's more rotator cuff/delt oriented differentiates enough from PU's, dips, etc which use a lot more of the bigger back muscles. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong.

And yes, surfing is great exercise! Just listen to your body and if your shoulders need a break, give it to them.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
Ryan Byrnes

Profile:

I realized I said hip flexion when I meant hip extension. Hope that clears up any confusion!!
Old 07-31-2009, 04:37 AM   #6
Owen Bird

Profile:

Agreed w/ all the above. So in summary, "If there's waves - Go surfing"?

Works for me.

Have you ever surfed Zeroes? Have you ever said "There's six foot walls at Zeroes?". How about Trestles? Have you seen Newport wedge working?

Pretty jealous dude
Old 07-31-2009, 02:31 PM   #7
John Devine

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Bird View Post
...Have you seen Newport wedge working?

Pretty jealous dude
You mean like this from last weekend?
Big Wedge wfs
Old 07-31-2009, 03:50 PM   #8
Ryan Byrnes

Profile:

Yeah, good waves last weekend. I am in San Diego and don't travel too far north to find good surf...I heard a kid died at the Wedge though last weekend. Saw some fun videos with stand up paddlers taking 20 ft bombs at the wedge, crazy.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:16 PM   #9
Paul Epstein

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Bird View Post
To be honest I don't really coult surfing as proper exercise. For me it's certainly never been in the same fatigue league as WODs. The way I think about it is this: If I were to surf all day, what would be the weak link that would mean the end of a session. For me it is without fail my paddling strength. Usually my lats and post. delt. are the muscles that get thrashed first, maybe some trap.
The final aspect of fitness in surfing which I think counts is your ability to work hard for a short-to-medium period of time, for example if you get caught inside.
getting caught inside can be worse than any WOD. i find potentially copping a pumelling is more motivation than a stop watch.

whats the surf in Nth England?
Old 07-31-2009, 05:15 PM   #10
Ryan Byrnes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Epstein View Post
.. i find potentially copping a pumelling is more motivation than a stop watch.
good call...real life WOD