CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Venturing into a GloboGym for a laugh.

So my friend gave me about 5 1 day passes to CalFamFit. Heck, I had a membership about a decade ago (not quite). I call up, reserve besides finding out locations and directions.

I guess the one I went to wasn't one of the bigger ones but was one of the satellite ones. Oh well, I'm already there. At least the guy who took my call had left so I didn't have to bother with the orientation ( that was genius on my part, must remember to use the next card 1hr before close ).

I get there and take a tour of the machines. Hell, there are even new ones I hadn't seen before. I did see a foam roller and a Concept2 Model C but no KB. It was either do a pullup on the smith bar with bent knees or on the gravitron which is funky.

I didn't have much time so I had considered doing Linda but re-racking woulda ate time. I did think about the 300 workout and looking back on it, it just doesn't look as tough anymore. Maybe I just don't think too highly of Mark Twight is all. I thought about trying for a max BP.

So I ended up playing with their Oly bar that was on the BP bench with weird plates that had 3 smooth sides but were rounded between. I hate those possibly more than the smith rack.

I basically worked the Burg WU getting on to working cleans from the hang and knee focusing on open hips and elbows. I didn't try jerking it or snatching it really.

Finished up on the rower doing sprints. That was fun.

Somewhere in this I realized the kind of gyms I like. The first gym I was in was my HS gym. Nothing fancy though there were some machines in the back that Steve Kenyon didn't let us use. There weren't a lot of pullup bars like CF gyms but there were plenty of squat cages and racks and platforms.

At the colleges I worked out at, the gyms were the same. Boring looking with some mirrors. Some had the VAJ-machines and knee extensions, situp machines and pulldown machines but still there was a look to them at least.

I still think I should workout tonight later but maybe today was a good warmup/play day besides biking there and back. I will probably be doing something tomorrow (like going to the big one or doing Burpee Fran or BFK Fran ).

I honestly don't want to go back to a CalFamFit to help my friend lift on his non-CF circuit-ish days. Blech. I could see doing Bench+DL.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:24 PM   #2
Randy Hill

Profile:
Re: Venturing into a GloboGym for a laugh.

Depressing, isn't it?
Old 08-16-2009, 01:22 AM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I was more in bewilderment that I used to work out at CalFamFit way back then. In fact I started, got 2 of my friends to join and I don't think they ever went back after that week though I eventually ended my membership when I moved too far away from that gym.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:01 AM   #4
Jay Adams

Profile:

I think it depends on the gym. In the summers I work out at affiliate when I can, but hit big box gyms pretty regularly. I was pleasantly surprised out how well it was stocked. Had Muscle driver KBs from 8/10lbs up to 80. Huge DB selection and great power racks, lots of med balls and some plyo boxes, plenty of pull up bars. I can see understand why there are tons of machines; people use them and they are there to make money. I would not have a gym where random untrained people feel free to drop KB and loaded bars every rep, I don't understand all that dropping anyway. I have been in some really bad/depressing gym, but some really nice ones as well.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:19 AM   #5
Tom Woodward

Profile:

Yeah I might be the most spoiled globo gym user out there. I go to a climbing gym that's set up for CF with 4 concept 2's, about 10KBs, 10 oly bars with around 500kg in hi temp bumpers, foam rollers, welded wall to wall pull up bars, 2 ghd's, and med balls. And their bouldering walls are a lot of fun.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:17 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Nice, do they CF'ers on staff? There was a club that became like that around here because some of the trainers were CF'ers and eventually created their own affiliate.

My old gym , World's, which I heard was bought out by Gold's used to have bumpers in a small room in the back and I think they had a squat rack or cage besides free weight. It's been too long to remember if they had GHD's and I don't think so. Pretty sure they had back extension and reverse hypers though.

Last edited by Blair Robert Lowe : 08-16-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:33 PM   #7
Randy Hill

Profile:

Military gyms are generally no better. I have heard of some nice ones but most of the ones I have been to are pretty ****ty. See, it would be different if they were globos with pretty colorful walls and lots of techno music playing, but they have all the nautilus machines and crap and no techno and / or ridiculously vibrant painted crap!

Except the new NATO gym here in Kandahar. It is the epitome of globo. Way worse than the movie "Dodgeball". I'm talking bright pink (I think) walls that require the wearing of sunglasses, shiny colorful equipment, and some thumpin' tunes you could really rock out to while cheating the tricep pulldown. Did I mention the "extra pair of shoes" requirement? Yes, that's right - you have to bring in an extra pair of shoes in addition to your "street shoes" to change in to, so you don't dirty up the gym! Now I am not sure if any REAL gyms have this rule or not, but it's the first time I have heard of such a thing.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:54 PM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I could understand the shoes part, in gymnastics gyms we often have a pair of "gym only" shoes.

Yeah, one of the worst things was the music. I think they had some MJ on when he was a kid. WTF kinda vibe is that. I'm pretty sure without my Ipod I couldn't have stayed in there.

I'm gonna check out one of the bigger ones today. Mainly I'm trying to figure out what my friend can do on his off CF days since I think he wanted to add some size.

So far I'm thinking DL and BP/OHP are what he can work on. It's not like I'm going to pony up for a membership myself. Besides, I don't have crap to do today.

Hopefully the USMC gyms are like those HS/college gyms of old. Ya know, old equipment, dark colors basically nothing too fancy.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:08 PM   #9
Randy Hill

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post

Hopefully the USMC gyms are like those HS/college gyms of old. Ya know, old equipment, dark colors basically nothing too fancy.

Yeah, you'd think so. But nope, most Marines (if not more) are in to the whole body building crap and the gyms are full of machines. Back at Cherry Point, there are 2 squat racks and a power rack that are often used for bicep curls. There are no "kippable" pull up bars. No bumpers, platforms, or anything like that. However, there is an awesome CF affiliate there that I can't wait to attend once I get back.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:59 PM   #10
Amy Tompkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Hill View Post
Military gyms are generally no better.
My military gym rocks! It's probably way different here in Canada - the Canadian Forces (army at least) has adopted the CrossFit principles into what they call "Combat Fitness".

My gym has a combat fitness corner with KBs, pull-up bars, med balls, plyo boxes, 4 C2 rowers, 1 GHD, and 3 nice squat cages with enough bumpers to go around (most days). It's in a corner of the indoor track so workouts with running are a breeze.

We're always moaning about getting more equipment and I hear the base in Edmonton is better equipped than ours, but I guess I have it pretty good.