CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 07-25-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
Michel Lefebvre

Profile:
So hot it become cold

Hi everyone,
English is not my first langage so I will try to ask my question and explain my problem as clearly as I can. Before I started doing crossfit I had very poor cardio so it never happened to me before, since I couldn't do an high intensity workout. Now sometime, mostly when I train outside on very hot days, I start sweating a lot and after some time eventually, I start feeling very cold : Im freezing inside, I get goosebump and I think I stop sweating as much as before it starté

I don't really have to slow down when I get this, Im not feeling sick or more tired and im not dizzy either.

I don't really mind and I don't think something is wrong, im just curious and though some of you might no what can cause this and if it happen to everyone else too.

thx
Old 07-26-2009, 08:52 AM   #2
Marcus Allen

Profile:
Re: So hot it become cold

my first guess would be dehydration and some mild heat illness. I think we tend to underestimate our hydration needs, especially if we choose to excercise outside in the heat.

Any lingering symptoms after you stop excercising? cramps, nausea, headaches?
Old 07-26-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
Michel Lefebvre

Profile:

I can't remember, which mean that if I got them it was at a lesser degree. I think I remember feeling a litle nauseous but it wasn't strongh enough to make me throw up. Its true that when im working out outside I don't drink a lot of water. I bring a bottle with me, but I try to save it for the whole workout. I tend to drink a lot of water when Im training, too much for my taste : I drink all the time so Im trying to slowly work on that.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:20 PM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel Lefebvre View Post
I can't remember, which mean that if I got them it was at a lesser degree. I think I remember feeling a litle nauseous but it wasn't strongh enough to make me throw up. Its true that when im working out outside I don't drink a lot of water. I bring a bottle with me, but I try to save it for the whole workout. I tend to drink a lot of water when Im training, too much for my taste : I drink all the time so Im trying to slowly work on that.
Why? Do you enjoy heat stroke?

If you're exercising outside in hot weather, it's extremely difficult to drink "too much" water. But it's extremely easy to drive yourself to dangerous dehydration by not drinking enough.

Katherine

(Note that a few marathoners every year *do* reach dangerous levels of blood dilution by drinking too much water with inadequate electrolytes. But that's for efforts lasting several hours, not the relatively brief time of a Crossfit workout.)
Old 07-28-2009, 06:04 PM   #5
Michel Lefebvre

Profile:

alright thx to both of you. The way you sait it , me trying to slow down on water consuption sound a bit stupid now ^^. I'll stay hydrated even though Im carefull and pay attention to what my body is telling me, I woulnd't come close to anything severe.