CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 03-27-2009, 01:10 AM   #1
Shane Skowron

Profile:
What causes dry mouth?

Does anyone have a good explanation of what causes that dry feeling in the mouth, nose, and throat during a metcon? The kind where your tongue sticks to your mouth and it's difficult to swallow?

I don't think it's a hydration issue because sometimes it often happens at the very beginning of a workout, like even during the first sprint of a CFE interval set.

I notice it more often in the weeks following a cold or when overtraining begins to set in. However dry mouth rarely affects my performances much, it just makes things a little more uncomfortable.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:31 AM   #2
Ed Walto

Profile:
Re: What causes dry mouth?

Shane,

I was thinking dehydration. You might want to try a lot of hydration prior to the workouts. I do a lot of long distance running and I have found that if I don't hydrate properly prior to the runs, I am hurting earlier than I should be.

You might also want to see what foods you're eating or supplements your taking prior to a workout. Maybe they're having an effect on you.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:34 AM   #3
Brett Dartt

Profile:

i always considered it a biproduct of sucking air so hard. just alot of air moving through there. like using a fan to dry the floor
Old 03-29-2009, 08:13 AM   #4
Steve Rakow

Profile:

Proper hydration is an ongoing requirement, not just right before or right after the WOD. Are you getting enough to drink throughout the day, everyday? A general rule of thumb - drink 60% of your bodyweight in ounces of water per day.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:20 AM   #5
Shane Skowron

Profile:

You guys may be right about the hydration. I got some bad dry mouth in the middle of Linda the other day. I destroyed my PR, but I was wiped out for the rest of the day and had a terrible headache.

I should be drinking more water. This cold I got a few weeks ago never really left, so I think both things are a factor.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:32 PM   #6
Dave Matteson

Profile:

Hydration (or lack thereof) is the main factor as discussed above along with heavy breating and increased evaporation from the airflow. However, here's something else to consider.

You've probably heard at some point of your sympathetic (SNS, "fight and flight") and parasympathetic (PNS "rest and digest") nervous systems. Under normal circumstances, your parasympathetic nervous system exerts dominant control of your body.

Just above every major organ or tissue in the body is controlled to some extent by the PNS. For example, it slows down your heart and activates your digestive system. Specifically, it stimulates your salivary glands to make saliva.

Similarly, the SNS also controls all the major organs and tissues. The SNS takes over when you're in a stressful or dangerous situation. As you can imagine, an intense workout also activates your SNS causing it to override the PNS. The SNS speeds up your heart, increases blood flow to your muscles, causes more glucose, amino acids, and fatty acids to go into your blood, and slows down the digestive system. Part of the latter effect is more or less turning your salivary glands off, hence the "dry mouth."
Old 03-29-2009, 01:53 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Matteson View Post
Hydration (or lack thereof) is the main factor as discussed above along with heavy breating and increased evaporation from the airflow. However, here's something else to consider.

You've probably heard at some point of your sympathetic (SNS, "fight and flight") and parasympathetic (PNS "rest and digest") nervous systems. Under normal circumstances, your parasympathetic nervous system exerts dominant control of your body.

Just above every major organ or tissue in the body is controlled to some extent by the PNS. For example, it slows down your heart and activates your digestive system. Specifically, it stimulates your salivary glands to make saliva.

Similarly, the SNS also controls all the major organs and tissues. The SNS takes over when you're in a stressful or dangerous situation. As you can imagine, an intense workout also activates your SNS causing it to override the PNS. The SNS speeds up your heart, increases blood flow to your muscles, causes more glucose, amino acids, and fatty acids to go into your blood, and slows down the digestive system. Part of the latter effect is more or less turning your salivary glands off, hence the "dry mouth."
Yep. Winner.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:12 AM   #8
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Dave, thanks, I never thought of that.

So basically, it's not my fault and it's nothing to worry about?