CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 07-05-2009, 07:00 AM   #51
Mark Williams

Profile:
Re: One man and his ACL

Back felt a bit tight and body felt generally fatigued after yesterdays efforts, need to more intelligently split my strength work but stuck to plan A for today and will tomorrow - amend for next 3-day cycle.

Workout
Wobbleboard work

Deadlift
1x5 @ 80kg
1x5 @ 100kg
1x5 @ 115kg
1x2 @ 125kg
1x2 @ 125kg

200m runs, 2 minute rest
1: 46 seconds
2: 39 seconds
3: 40 seconds
4: 46 seconds

Notes
- noticed slight improvement in proprioception work
- grip seemed to give out more than anything on the deadlift. Will drop to 122.5kg next time out.
- obviously,very slow times on the runs, but today was more about tentatively seeing how much drive I could put down through this knee (so stop laughing!). I was far too timid on the first one, it was pretty much a jog!
Second set was a bit of a step up but maintained a steady pace throughout the lap, while the 3rd I felt more confident and put quite a bit more down through the first hundred with hip flexors starting to tie up at the end.
The 4th set was like running through syrup.
Most importantly, my knee held up well - its quite a small indoor track so you seem to be permanently on a bend, even the start was on a bend, which I was concerned about, but aside from a slight ache that subsided, I couldn't realistically have asked for more.

Going forward...
Deadlift has always been a bit rubbish for me but am determined to focus more on it now as I really want my overall power to increase ready for rugby.
The running was more about getting the first one under the belt than setting PR's (never timed it anyway so PR territory already!). Will obviously need work and will sit down this evening, come up with some short-medium term goals to progress this. It will be another 4-6 weeks before I can start hitting sprints, the 200 intervals are more for anaerobic endurance for my return to rugby.

The template I have in mind for the next 4-6 weeks is:
-Standard 3-on, 1-off
1)Wobble board at start of all workouts
2)alternate 5x5 deadlift, 5x5 weighted dips, 5x3 power cleans
3)alternate met-con with 200m intervals
4)rehab work at the end to alternate quads, hamstrings and then, on the last day of each microcycle, leg press (building up to squats)
Old 07-07-2009, 02:08 PM   #52
Mark Williams

Profile:

Workout
-Wobbleboard work

Power Cleans
1x5 @ 50kg
1x5 @ 60kg
1x3 @ 70kg
1x3 @ 77.5kg
1x3 @ 80kg 3RM PR

500m rows - drag lvl 9
4 rounds, resting 1 minute between rounds
1 - 1.38.1 -0.3.1PR
2 - 1.48
3 - 1.50.3
4 - 1.53.5
total - 7.09.9 (+0.15.2)

Quad Extension
3x20 @ 5kg

Notes
-always terrible on the wobbleboard to begin but seem to be finding my feet (ahem!) quicker now.
-power cleans were... ok. It's a 3RM PR for me but it's still such a low weight I struggle to get excited about it. Was ok and didn't have to pull under to any degree to catch it but should be flinging that weight up, rather than hoisting it (I know what I mean!). Hoping for big things with this lift when deadlift and thigh strength work pay off. Up to 82.5kg for the next one and would expect to hit.
-Wasn't going to do this one (rows) but left my stopwatch at home so needed something I could time with a machine and a clock on the wall. Dropped rest period to 1 minute and what a difference it made!!! Previous workouts, with a 2 minute rest period, felt unpleasant but compared to this were a foot rub, followed by a back scratch. Never mind Pukie, it felt like I was flirting with Death!!

However, knocked another 3 seconds off my 500m PR (can I get a "Hell yeah"?!), second round was 0.6 seconds quicker than previous second round, and only dropped 1.1 seconds off total time, with half as much rest as before so pleased overall!
-Quads were firing well for the first time since starting the extensions. Will try not to get too excited, but dropping reps back to 12 and up wt to 7.5kg next time out.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:42 PM   #53
Mark Williams

Profile:

Workout
-wobbleboard work

Weighted Dips
1x5 @ 15kg
1x5 @ 20kg
1x5 @ 30kg
1x5 @ 40kg
1x5 @ 42.5kg PR

200m runs, 2 minute rest
1: 35.87 seconds PR
2: 37.19 seconds
3: 44.88 seconds
4: abandoned

Notes
- Dips were very deep but last rep was a struggle. Think I'm at about my current maximum, so will just add 1.25kg to it next time out. Small increments from here on in and will probably need to incorporate the 'double-progression' method before long to put off the inevitable plateau.
-Mixed feelings about the runs. PR, but only because I was so slow last time and no idea what times would have been pre-injury.
POSITIVES:
Increased drive early on, improvement in coordination, muscles definitely firing harder than last time out. First two sets faster than previous best, and a >3 second PR.
NEGATIVES:
Still slow; 3rd set was looking sub-40 seconds but legs tied up so suddenly that from 50m out I was jogging; had to abandon the 4th attempt as my hamstrings were on the verge of cramping hard.

Apart from a lack of anaerobic fitness, I'm putting the near-cramp down to the muscles starting to fire harder but not having the conditioning to cope with it. Still, faster than last time out and it's all about progress.

Had to leave the ham curls alone but will do tomorrow.

Last edited by Mark Williams : 07-08-2009 at 04:44 PM. Reason: repeated myself!
Old 07-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #54
Mark Williams

Profile:

Was expecting my hammies to be screwed today but were only a bit stiff.

Workout
-wobbleboard work

Deadlift
1x5 @ 80kg
1x5 @ 100kg
1x5 @ 120kg
1x5 @ 125kg PR
1x3 @ 125kg

3 rounds, 2 minutes rest between rounds of:
deadlift x 5, hang power clean x 5, push press x 5, deadlift x 5, all @ 65kg

Isolateral Hamstring Curls
2x10 @ 15kg
1x6 @ 15kg

Notes
-Glad to get the PR on deadlift but need to be making progress quickly on this. I do feel like my grip is the limiting factor rather than posterior chain.
-I was going to do 'DT' but when I had a practice run at the squats I could do them but - mentally more than physically - didn't feel comfortable. Haven't got faith even for very light squats yet...
next option was to do 'DT' minus the squats but after blasting through one round and second round of deadlifts without taking hands off the bar, I quickly realised I didn't have the snap to do 4 more rounds of hang cleans. In retrospect I shoujld have just dropped the weight to 50kg but ego got the better of me again.

Ham curls were a lot more explosive than last time out but ran out of gas and couldn't do full range on the last set after 6 reps.

3 Day Cycle Review
- On paper it looks ok, with PR's in 500m rows, 200m runs, 5RM Dips, 5RM deadlift and 3RM power cleans. The 200m run is only a best by default (was way quicker before, just never timed) and the deadlift and power clean PR's are genuine bests but way too low to get excited about. 500m PR is ok though, as is the dips PR.
- Also, I hate not completing what I set out to do and the 3x200m runs instead of 4x200m left a foul taste in my mouth... I should have just jogged one more lap to say I'd finished it. Todays workout wasn't even a proper WOD and highlighted how weak I've become.

However, the only way is up so I'll begrudgingly take my rest day tomorrow then kick the **** out of myself on Saturday!!
Old 07-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #55
Mark Williams

Profile:

Excellent physio session yesterday, got some great feedback on and some new exercises and progressions to play with - getting more sport specific now so officially excited.

Workout
wobbleboard work

Power Clean
1x5 @ 60kg
1x5 @ 70kg
2x3 @ 80kg
1x2 @ 80kg

21-15-9
42.5kg front squat
pull-ups
time: 10.31

Agility/rehab
3x10 - step forward, push back (each side, increasing power each set)
3x10 - plant foot, twist and push off (each side, increasing power each set)
3x10 - side-steps (1 small step and strong drive off foot)

Notes
-power cleans were a bit disappointing.
-poor time on the met-con but really wanted to focus on form of front squats as I haven't done these in a while and leg strength is still pathetic.
-agility work was good, could hardly believe what I was doing without my leg giving on me. I spent so long not being able to twist or move remotely explosively without my knee going (I once hopped on the spot and collapsed in a heap of agony) that I was holding my breath each time I did a twist today! Looks like I'm fixed (just weak).

Will do agility as part of warm-up from here on in as need to be fresh (part of this is relearning a skill). Will look into altering my strength component of the workout to progress my cleans and deadlifts,
Old 07-14-2009, 03:43 PM   #56
Mark Williams

Profile:

My knee joint itself was ok after the agility etc the other day but the tendon really felt it. Took an extra day yesterday as I promised the physio I would if I felt pain even after warming up.

Have found some great sites with articles on speed training and power training for sports www.higher-faster-sports.com (WFS); www.wannagetfast.com (WFS) so sifting through them. Overall, the message is posterior chain for horsepower, with the quads etc being more for agility (ie; stop start, shifting centre of gravity etc). Armed with some new ideas and a nearly recovered knee I headed for a speed session today with mixed results...

Workout
wobbleboard work

depth jumps (9") - 5x5

10m starts - x9

Leg Press
1x5 @ 50kg
1x5 @ 80kg
3x5 @ 100kg

SLDL
1x5 @ 40kg
1x5 @ 60kg
3x5 @ 80kg

Notes
-wobbleboard was a big improvement today.
-depth jumps were from a pretty low step - I need to go easy on the forces through my tendon for a little while (they took a 3rd of it for the surgery in December so takes a while to adapt to these new demands). Not sure if I should wait for some strength to come back before doing plyo's?

-sprints were very tentative to begin with, but foot speed soon increased, although drive was still poor... for reasons I was soon to find out....

-was going to do some light back squats, loaded 40kg on the bar to warm-up and.... couldn't do it. My knees only bent a bit before I started leaning at the waist. Tried again but there just isn't the strength in my thighs to do it. Had to admit defeat and went to the leg press (a machine that I have always felt represents everything that is wrong with the world). One of the reasons I hate it is because guys who can't squat bodyweight load the leg press up with 250kg and think they're strong... here I am, now having to use this second class exercise until my strength comes back.
-no glute-ham equipment at my gym so subbed with SLDL's instead. These felt good, can feel my butt and hams now.

Overall, I enjoyed the session, coordination for running is definitely returning, but the power is a long way off!! I'm hoping the thigh strength comes back soon and the tendon settles down.