CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-11-2008, 09:18 AM   #1
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:
Total Gym (Don't Laugh)

My dad-in-law gave me his old Total Gym. Since I'm without a Concept-2-Rower, I figure that I could use the Total Gym in place of it.

I've read posts from folks who've been able to use it to help them ease into other workouts like Pull-ups and Dips. But there has been no mention on whether anyone has tried to use it as a rowing machine.

Can the Total Gym be used as a substitute for a rowing machine?
Old 07-11-2008, 09:49 AM   #2
Jake Thompson

Profile:
Re: Total Gym (Don't Laugh)

Interesting question, I have one in my clinic that is the industrial type. It does have an apperatus to attach feet into for hamstring work, but that may just work. I will give it a shot over the weekend and let you know my thoughts.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
David Stitz

Profile:

I believe that if you laugh at the Total Gym Chuck comes to your house and beats you up. I like them, my dads TG is what got me off the couch to work out years ago when I was a wee lad. They've come a long way and I think its a quality piece of equipment if thats what you're into(which I'm not anymore). Much better than a p.o.s. Bowflex. I can see why you'd think it could be used as a rower, but I don't think it would be the same at all. How do you work your legs or lower back, key components or a rowing stroke? And what happens when you reach the top of the stroke, do you just let off the handles and come to a jerky halt at the bottom, or do you ease yourself down? Both of these options are not something you would see or feel when on a rowing machine.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:35 AM   #4
Bryan Veis

Profile:

In short, no, you can't. I have both -- don't use the Total Gym anymore, though. On a C2, you push with the legs, then pull with the back, then pull with the arms -- there is no way you could do that on a Total Gym. In order to push off with the legs, you have to face away from the cable handles (down), which means you can't replicate parts 2 and 3 of the rowing stroke. In order to pull with the back and arms, you have to face toward the cable handles (up), which means you can't push with the legs (or if you do, it won't do anything for you, because you will be pushing yourself downhill with no resistance), I suppose you could do some sort of isometric resistance, pushing with your legs and resisting the movement by holding the cable, but that's not rowing -- it's something else.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:25 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Thanks, Brian. I picked up my total gym off CL with this in mind, but never could figure it out. It's mainly used for shoulder rehab stuff and push/pull upper body stuff.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:22 PM   #6
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:

Aw shucky darn.

Thanks Brian. Guess I'll have to do my best to enjoy Sumo Dead Lift High Pulls...although I'll be using dumbells in lieu of a barbell. (God I hate being so poor).
Old 07-13-2008, 02:21 PM   #7
Bill Patton

Profile:

a friend of my mine runs vasa trainer - they make a sort of 'concept2 like' total gym thingy that features a weighted fan a la concept2 - and a similar monitor. It is a modified swim bench - that lets you do a bunch of different workouts. Might be worth a look too - www.vasatrainer.com (w/f/s).

-bp
Old 07-14-2008, 09:09 AM   #8
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:

Yeah, I'm aware of the Vasa machine from my triathlon training days. But too pricey for me. I would rather put that money to a Concept-2-Rower instead.