CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:17 PM   #191
Stanley Walter

Profile:
Re: Inspirational Quotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.

Roosevelt for the win
Best.

Quote.

Ever.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:43 PM   #192
Joshua Murphy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
"Before enlightenment chop wood and carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood and carry water" - Quoted in the book "Mastery" by George Leonard
"When you are chopping wood, chop wood; when you are carrying water, carry water."

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)
Old 08-01-2009, 07:45 PM   #193
William Jackson

Profile:

"i would rather aim for the stars and hit a stump than aim for a stump and miss"

patriotic quote

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling,, which thinks that nothing is worth war, is much worse. the person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"
john stuart mill
Old 08-02-2009, 01:41 AM   #194
Christopher Delgado

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.

Roosevelt for the win
This is also my favorite. My high school basketball coach had it hanging up in our locker room. I highly encourage anyone who hasnt read the entire text of the speech to do so. The whole speech is great, but the quoted bit of course really stands out.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:22 AM   #195
Scott Moore.

Profile:

"And those who had seen it told how he who had been possessed with demons was healed" Luke 8:36

I'm not a religious man by any means, but this quote has struck me and has become my personal mantra.

"All you have to do to be original is to actually have the balls to be yourself. Let it come out and it will come out differently. It is not hard to be original; it is fear that keeps us from being original."

~Oteil Burbridge

Probably doesn't apply to crossfit, but still a cool quote.
http://pantherfit.blogspot.com/And those who had seen it told how he who had been possessed with demons was healed -Luke 8:36
Old 08-04-2009, 05:30 PM   #196
Mie Yoshinaga

Profile:

This was posted at my affiliate, and what got me through the last two years of crossfit: YOU DON'T HAVE TO LIKE IT, YOU JUST HAVE TO DO IT.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:58 AM   #197
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mie Yoshinaga View Post
This was posted at my affiliate, and what got me through the last two years of crossfit: YOU DON'T HAVE TO LIKE IT, YOU JUST HAVE TO DO IT.

and you can distill that down to: Just Do It. Hence the Nike Swoosh on my ankle for the last 7 years.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:27 AM   #198
Justin Metts

Profile:

Saw this on a carsalesmans cubicle once. Seemed like a ploy to get people to close but still a great line for anyone thinking about starting crossfit or anything in life.

"Procrastination is a byproduct of failure."
Old 08-05-2009, 08:22 PM   #199
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

A selection of Teddy Roosevelt quotes

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

Every reform movement has a lunatic fringe.

Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.

For unflagging interest and enjoyment, a household of children, if things go reasonably well, certainly all other forms of success and achievement lose their importance by comparison

Freedom from effort in the present merely means that there has been effort stored up in the past.

I am only an average man but, by George, I work harder at it than the average man.

I think there is only one quality worse than hardness of heart and that is softness of head.

If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month.

It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.

Never throughout history has a man who lived a life of ease left a name worth remembering.

The only man who never makes a mistake is the man who never does anything.

The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.

With self-discipline most anything is possible.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:49 PM   #200
Ron White

Profile:

Saw this on the fishing channel but it's stuck with me.

"Follow your passion and success will follow you."