CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-19-2008, 05:51 PM   #1
Jonathan Camacho

Profile:
Programming

Well heres the deal. Its kind of hard with my school and work schedule to do a 3days on 1 off and i cant seem to find your 5 day on 2 off program. So if anyone can direct me to a link that would be great.
I also have been doing a lot of research and i have read about 60% of the Crossfit journals. I have all but one question unanswered and that is about the rep schemes. I just want to know the logic behind them. Example: certain days you do power cleans of 3-3-3-3-3 and maybe another 3 or 4 weeks later you will do front squat 1-1-1-1-1-1. that would be the single element weightlifting days correct? i just want to know if theres an explanation for coming up with these numbers. Only reason why i would like to know is because im designing my own wods and im stuck on the rep schemes for weightlifting single element days. any help?
Old 01-19-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
Robert Olajos

Profile:
Re: Programming

There is no specific webpage (that I know of) that posts 5:2 routines. My understanding is that people following that schedule will simply take the 3:1 schedule and adapt it to fit their needs. Perhaps someone knows of an affiliate that posts 5:2 routines.

I don't have any insight into the 3's vs. 1's vs. 5's. My only suggestion would be that, as a beginner, you follow the WOD as posted for at least 6-12 months. This applies whether you are 'trained' or 'untrained'. If you design your own WODs, particularly as a newcomer, you run the risk of overemphasizing activities you excel at and de-emphasizing those you find challenging. This will lead to imbalances and injuries. Some exercises which you currently dislike will undoubtedly wind up among your favourites.

Sounds like you're doing things right, reading the journals and all. Keep it up!
Old 01-19-2008, 07:07 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Yeah, some affiliates go on 5/2. If you wanna do 5/2 off the mainpage the general recommendation is to lag behind about a week so that you will still have a workout to do when the current cycle hits it's 1 rest day. Since 3/1 has 21 work days out of 28 while 5/2 only has 20 you will never catch up.

As for programming IIRC they tend to rotate from 5-5-5s to 3-3-3s to 1-1-1s which is a very simple form of working up to 1 RM (although it's spread across different exercises), but it accomplishes the same thing in terms of getting the body to adapt to heavy loads since the strength lifts are almost always full body if not large compound lifts. It really doesn't matter though you can do all 5-5-5s if you want or do all 1-1-1s or whatever.

3-3-3s will probably work best if you want max strength since ~3 RM hits all muscle fibers each repetition and you can generally get a higher volume in.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:36 AM   #4
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Camacho View Post
Well heres the deal. Its kind of hard with my school and work schedule to do a 3days on 1 off and i cant seem to find your 5 day on 2 off program. So if anyone can direct me to a link that would be great.
I also have been doing a lot of research and i have read about 60% of the Crossfit journals. I have all but one question unanswered and that is about the rep schemes. I just want to know the logic behind them. Example: certain days you do power cleans of 3-3-3-3-3 and maybe another 3 or 4 weeks later you will do front squat 1-1-1-1-1-1. that would be the single element weightlifting days correct? i just want to know if theres an explanation for coming up with these numbers. Only reason why i would like to know is because im designing my own wods and im stuck on the rep schemes for weightlifting single element days. any help?
Based on my 5/2 schedule, and only in cf 7 weeks, I recommend that you be extra careful to eat very well, and get enough quality sleep, and full recovery. The 5 days on is a motherload. I also concur with following the schedule on the mainpage and just lagging behind so you get all the cf benifits. Trust the wisdom of the coaches, and read/re-read the FAQ's. We've had several threads around 3/1 and 5/2 scheduling. There may be helpful info there. There was also a thread about "cherry picking" exercizes that may be of interest. Good luck. By the bye, 5/2 became too much for me as I was "underrecovered".
Old 01-20-2008, 03:45 PM   #5
Austin Slater

Profile:

crossfit chatanooga sp? posts a 5/2 split on their site that looks very well thought out. Check it out...
Old 01-20-2008, 04:24 PM   #6
David Stout

Profile:

We do post with a 5 on 2 off template.

David Stout
CF Chattanooga
Old 01-20-2008, 04:36 PM   #7
Alex Reynolds

Profile:

CrossFit Fairfax does a 5-2
Old 01-20-2008, 05:26 PM   #8
Alex Possamai

Profile:

Jonathan, I also cannot follow the 3:1 work/rest cycle.

I design my own programs by going into the monthly or yearly archives and copying the WOD's for a given period of time, (i.e. 1 month, 3 months, etc.) taking all of the WOD's and scrambling them around to wherever I can fit them in. I make sure I do all of them; I just don't do them in the same order or with the same work rest ratio.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:09 PM   #9
Jonathan Camacho

Profile:

Thanks for all your help, i've been training for about 3 years now and have been doing crossfit for about 4months now. I love their style of programming its so different compared to other programs out there from other certifications and so on. I used to be all about periodization and i still use some of the info i've learned and apply it to my crossfit training. So as far as the questions goes about there single element weightlifting days steve are you just saying they start from 5s and work there way to 1s? I guess that would make the most sense seeing as getting the technique down and getting used to movement would be more beneficial .
Old 01-21-2008, 06:46 PM   #10
Steven Low

Profile:

Generally, from what I've seen/remember (I might be mistaken), but I think CF cycles through about two or three 5-5-5s then two to three 3-3-3s and then 1-1-1s. Recently we've had the front squats and DLs. So I would expect another 1-1-1 next or cycling back to 5-5-5s or something like of that nature. Not sure how long their whole cycles are though.

Periodization isn't really needed that much in CF's case IMO.