CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-16-2008, 10:33 PM   #1
Jeffrey Thorn

Profile:
Final Tweaks to my MEBB routine

Im getting ready for the police academy and I just wanted to get some insight and/or critiques of this version of a MEBB routine. my earlier MEBB routine burned me out ( the work load on ME days was too much ). thanks

Day 1 - Xfit with prescribed WOD
Day 2 - ME 5x5 of DL/Cleans
Day 3 - Xfit
Day 4 - Rest
Day 5 - Xfit
Day 6 - ME 5x5 of Back Squat/overhead press
Day 7 - Xfit
Day 8 - Rest
Day 9 - Xfit
Day 10 - ME 5x5 of DL/ Snatch
Day 11 - Xfit
Day 12 - Rest
Day 13 - Xfit
Day 14 - ME 5x5 of Back Squat/ C&J

REPEAT
Old 06-17-2008, 05:42 AM   #2
Jerry Berg

Profile:

Re: Final Tweaks to my MEBB routine

Jeffrey,

I've had more success with my max effort lifts on the first day of the cycle, as opposed to the middle of the 3. However, this was just my experience.

I think I've seen Anthony Bainbridge advocate something similar with great results for himself and his people.

Just out of curiosity, what's your reasoning for having your max effort days be in the middle of your 3 day cycle?

Best,

Jerry
Old 06-17-2008, 05:58 AM   #3
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

Jeff,

I'm not sure about some of your exercise pairings. With the exception of the Back Squat/Overhead Press day, I think some of them could be counterproductive. You're not going to be able to give your best effort on the Snatch if you've just given your best effort doing 5x5 sets of Deadlifts. I don't really like the two week repeating format either. Vary your reps and sets. Some days only do one exercise. On other days, pair exercises that work two different body parts or are complimentary, like Overhead Squats (missing from your program) and Sotts Press. In particular, I would give the heavier and more power oriented workouts there own day (such as Deadlifts, Back Squats, C&J, and Snatch). Pull some ME workouts from the CrossFit archives. One I've always loved is the 5x1 Press, 5x3 Push Press, 5x5 Push Jerk WOD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Berg View Post
Just out of curiosity, what's your reasoning for having your max effort days be in the middle of your 3 day cycle?
WOD-ME-WOD-rest is the original, Rx MEBB format.

Last edited by Christopher G. Woods : 06-17-2008 at 06:00 AM.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:39 AM   #4
Derek Franks

Profile:

Why are you doing 5 sets of deadlifts? 1 should be more than sufficient with that frequency. You could do more than 1 set if you really want, but 5 sets is going to be difficult to recover from with that schedule.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:37 PM   #5
Jeffrey Thorn

Profile:

Thank you all for the advice. Ive taken some of your ideas and incorporated them into my workout and i feel its pretty solid. ill let you guys know how its working out. As for using the 5x5 method, my recovery from using this method has suited me well, mainly because i only use 65- 75% of my 1 RM max with the 5x5 method.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:50 PM   #6
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Thorn View Post
Thank you all for the advice. Ive taken some of your ideas and incorporated them into my workout and i feel its pretty solid. ill let you guys know how its working out. As for using the 5x5 method, my recovery from using this method has suited me well, mainly because i only use 65- 75% of my 1 RM max with the 5x5 method.
Just curious, but why? What is the purpose of your MEBB? If you're trying to build absolute strength, you need to go heavy (think at least 80% or preferably 85% 1 rm), and eventually consider dropping the 5's for 1's to 3's when 5's are too much. If going heavier, you'll probably also find that 5 x 5's will be too much volume.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:17 PM   #7
Jeffrey Thorn

Profile:

My apologies, i neglected to mention that i do switch between the 5x5 and heavy singles and doubles, but that is usually once every two months just to test my 1 RM. The main purpose of my MEBB is to gain more functional strength and endurance and be in the best shape and the strongest i can be for the academy.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:42 PM   #8
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Suggest you check out Gant's "Hybrid Programs" thread in the fitness forum... great ideas for increasing raw strength while avoiding CNS/muscular burnout. I was doing a similar program to yours, but will less volume on the ME days (most lifts were 3x5, deadlift 1x5, cleans 5x3, and with 1/2 intensity metcons before the rest day) and had some success. Added 30 lbs to my squat, 15 to deadlift, 5 to shoulder press, and about 30 to my power clean within about 6 weeks... doesn't sound like much, but I was already approaching a 5xBW CFT, so gains are getting tougher!

Gant's big breakthrough I think is that he found that super-intense, heavy, and very short metcons were enough to maintain his wind/cardio capacity and the reduced metcon volume let him get more out of the heavy lifting.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:58 PM   #9
Justin Ormsby

Profile:

Hey, I'm new to crossfit and just today learned what MEBB was. I was training 5x5 preparing for a powerlifting meet but decided I was to fat and out of shape so I w\switched to crossfitting (long story, fully explained in thread on begining board).

Anyway, I'm thinking about utilizing your system, but since I'd someday like to actually complete a powerlifting meet I'm going to need to train the bench as well. I don't have a spotter and I'm now really comfortable with the form for the snatch and I'm worried I'll just hurt my self with that one. How can I substitute for the snatch and throw a bench workout in there?

Thanks,

=Justin=