CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-06-2007, 08:41 PM   #1
Daniel Andrews

Profile:
Post The Zone & Cholesterol

I've been very happy with the results since I started the zone in May. I've leaned out quite a bit, dropped about 8 pounds that I was having a hard time keeping on anyway, and I've been posting PRs frequently as I begin my 3rd year of CF.

However, since starting the zone, I'm eating way more fat than I used to. Over the past couple of years I've realized that I have high cholesterol, so prior to the zone I ate almost no fat.

When I started the zone , my LDL was 144, and it's now 7 months later it's 178, even though I feel fitter and leaner than ever in my life. Before I got my cholesterol tested on Monday, I'd added a couple of extra fat blocks since I felt like I was loosing too much weight.

So, my question is, should I go back to my 19 FB/day and maybe add a couple of protein blocks to maintain my weight, or should I not be as concerned about the cholesterol as my Dr. is? I know that Dr. Sears isn't nearly as concerned about cholesterol as he is elevated levels of insulin.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for everyone's advice.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:24 PM   #2
Scott Clark

Profile:

Re: The Zone & Cholesterol

There are many factors that contribute to elevated cholesterol levels, the least of which is dietary intake.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:41 PM   #3
Judd Borakove

Profile:

Scott,

Can you elaborate on the things that you are referring to?

Thanks,
Old 12-07-2007, 08:04 AM   #4
Daniel Andrews

Profile:

Scott-I think this huge jump in my cholesterol over the past 7 months has to be tied to my increased fat intake on the zone. As I said, I seem to be healthier than when I started the zone-lower BW & BF, frequent PRs, but the only thing that's changed has been my fat intake.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:20 AM   #5
Nick Cummings

Profile:

I would do some serious research on the literature behind current cholesterol level recommendations. My reading has led me to believe that slightly elevated cholesterol levels do not carry the significance that current thought would have us believe. There is an early CF Journal that recommends some books on the subject. If you do not have access I could likely look it up for you.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:27 AM   #6
John Nolan

Profile:

I had the exact opposite effect of cholesterol on zone (19block 5xfat)...I know at my 6 month mark, eating 5 eggs scrambled in 4 TBL of olive oil every am (also w/ 3 blocks of real oatmeal(raisins and maple syrup round out the 5 block carb))....my cholesterol went from 170 to 140 with HDL and LDL being 70 and 40, respectively...

and where are you getting you fat?

Last edited by John Nolan : 12-07-2007 at 08:32 AM. Reason: asked the fat question
Old 12-07-2007, 09:13 AM   #7
Adam Levenson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Andrews View Post

So, my question is, should I go back to my 19 FB/day and maybe add a couple of protein blocks to maintain my weight, or should I not be as concerned about the cholesterol as my Dr. is? I know that Dr. Sears isn't nearly as concerned about cholesterol as he is elevated levels of insulin.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for everyone's advice.
Post a food log of your daily intake with as specific information as possible. It could be the quality of your fats, after that I wouldn't worry about it too much. You could also try contacting Dr. G and ask his opinion.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:26 AM   #8
Eva Claire Synkowski

Profile:

daniel, i suggest you read this post by dr. mike eades regarding the cholesterol. LDL measurement is not entirely useful... the particle size is more relevant, which isn't tested for. see:

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/2...d-cholesterol/

(link wfs)

make sure you read the comments too, specifically re: triglyceride/HDL ratio.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:42 AM   #9
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

My cholesterol story:
10/06 10/07 Ideal
Cholesterol TTl 168 156 125-200
HDL 54 63 >=40mg/dl
Chol/HDL Ratio 3.1 2.5 <=5.0
LDL 102 85 <=130mg/dl
Triglycerides 61 41 <=150 mg/dl

I think the numbers speak for themselves. What was the lifestyle change, CF along with a radical diet shift. I had been vegan and then veg for a ttl of 14 years until Oct 06! Started zone and within a few month shifted to paleo with zone proportions!

Now if I had done what the doctors and nutritionist recommended years ago, I would still be over 220+# with elevated chol and diabetes. I am now a trim 135# (today) at 45yo and in the best shape of my life!! Gotta love CF and all its principles! coach and all!

Last edited by Sarena Kopciel : 12-07-2007 at 10:43 AM. Reason: numbers off
Old 12-07-2007, 12:46 PM   #10
Daniel Andrews

Profile:

E.C.-Thanks for turning me onto Dr. Ead's site. Very helpful reading. It helps to counter my Dr., who I've never thought was very well informed.