CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-06-2004, 06:17 PM   #1
FRANCO BELCASSIO

Profile:

has anyone noticed any increase in there endurance when incorporating tabata squat intervals. specifically would you feel less winded if you had to do a 1.5 mile run from this type of training. if so how many times a week do you suggest doing these squat intervals and what other exercises would you combine with the tabata protocol for increased vo2 max for a 1.5 mile run

thanks men
Old 01-06-2004, 06:26 PM   #2
Roy

Profile:

This is a skim answer, but I think tabata squats, pushups or whatever would help more along the lines of 3 minute rounds for kickboxers or wrestlers since a great deal of that work is anearobic.

I think as far as running goes, you would benefit from a combination of that and another tabata protocol being sprint 20 seconds, jog 10, for the 8 rounds; rest a minute or two and repeat as many times as comfortable. I did it for two 4 minute sets once, and I cannot say that it was easy. If I was you, Id wait for a better response. I know tabata anything helps immensely as far as endurance goes. So does crossfit anything!

Cheers

Roy

Clarence Bass has more on this on his website comparing tabata with interval.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:34 PM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Franco-

I believe the Tabata protocol is the best found for increasing V02 max. Perhaps double check the literature on this but I beleive it should be very helpfull. Tabata sprints make sense as well.
Robb
Old 01-08-2004, 10:41 AM   #4
Dan

Profile:  
I found that tabata squats helped a great deal in terms of endurance. I saw a significant improvement while participating in high endurance sports, particulary soccer.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:00 AM   #5
Yehoshua Zohar

Profile:
I'm not sure what you mean by "endurance". If you mean a steady state distance run than I do not believe that Tabata is the way to go. Soccer is an excellent example of a sport where Tabata could aid you. It involves short sprints of max effort, recovery and everything in between. Same with many ball sports (rugby, basketball). Although I have no experience in combat sports, I would agree that Tabata would be an appropriate protocol. In short, any activity with a considerable anaerobic element.So it all depends what your training goal is.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:27 PM   #6
Jonathan W. Barba

Profile:  
Interval training may be altered by manipulating the intensity, work period, or rest period. Any of these three variables can be manipulated to produce a varied response. Without an accurate analysis of the energy demands (aerobic or anaerobic) of each training session it is impossible to determine which variable combination is most effective, or whether various variable combinations place similar demands on the energy systems.

Tabata et al.(1997) examined this problem by designing an experiment to measure how different types of interval training sessions taxed the aerobic and anaerobic energy systems. Their study used nine members of Japan's national speed skating team as the subjects. On different days, they performed two different types of interval workouts.

Tabata et al. found that interval bouts comprised of 20 seconds with 10 seconds of rest placed significant anaerobic demands on the subjects (the accumulated oxygen deficit was 69 ml/kg) allowed them to reach their anaerobic capacity. Tabata et al. determined a four minute interval training session done at 170% of an individuals VO2MAX is the equivalent of a maximal anaerobic effort.

The Tabata interval was also also found to tax the aerobic energy system at near maximal levels.

In fact, Tabata et al. discovered that following a six-week regime of Tabata intervals resulted in a 13% improvement of the subject's VO2 MAX and a 28% increase in anaerobic capacity.

The Tabata study findings indicate it is possible to train both energy systems at the same time in high intensity work; as long as the work is at an intensity great enough to tax all energy systems maximally, the duration of the work is such that it stimulates maximal responses but does not result in performance or physiological degradation, the work/rest interval is short enough (thus the 10 seconds) so that aerobic responses will be immediately employed in the ensuing exercise bout, and the longer the rest interval the longer it will take before maximum aerobic energy is actived in the next repetition.

A long explanation to get to the point: Tabata intervals tax both the aerobic and anaerobic energy systems.

Old 01-22-2004, 02:35 PM   #7
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Jonathan-

Welcome and THANK YOU!!!! That is the best analysis of the Tabata interval I have ever seen.
Robb
Old 01-22-2004, 07:31 PM   #8
Steve Nugent

Profile:
Stupid question...what were the exercises the skaters were performing?
Thanks,
Steve
Old 01-23-2004, 04:21 AM   #9
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Welcome aboard Jonathan and allow me to second RW's comments!

Roy, a running Tabata is prefferable if it consists of a 20 sec all-out sprint, and 10 sec of rest.

What's amazing about Tabatas is that the 10 sec rest can be a huge demoralizer at times. It allows you to sit and think "Do I really need another bout?", start to chicken out and then finally suck it up in the last two seconds of rest and give it your all!

I love Tabatas!
Old 01-23-2004, 09:56 AM   #10
Kevin Gerson

Profile:

Hi Steve and others,
The Japanese speed skaters in the Tabata study performed their intervals on a stationary bicycle.