CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-09-2007, 08:15 AM   #1
Mike Breslin

Profile:
Hello ladies and gentleman. I am a Marine Corps Officer Candidate. Before shipping to OCS (PLC Juniors this summer I did a hybrid of the Crossfit Austere Program and running. A ton of running. Since I have been back I have been interested in switching over to Crossfit fully and follow the WODs as Rxed on the mainpage. Steve Rakow (a motivated former Marine Corps Officer)of Ocean City Crossfit was kind enough to review my previous six months log via email and he confirmed that I was performing too much cardio. So now I am following the WOD, but about a week behind.

I am gaining weight faster than I ever have in my life. I have gained thriteen pounds in the last three weeks. I doesn't appear to be fat, although my eyeball and finger pinch test isn't terribly scientific. I am now 5'7" and I weigh 185 pounds. I feel slow on any running portion of an WOD. I am not yet on the zone, although that is coming as soon as I get the courage to jump.

Is this type of initial weight gain typical of someone ramping up the WOD and replacing many long hours cardio? Will it level off? Should I just shut up and jump into the Zone? Thanks for any advice.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:49 AM   #2
Monique T. Ames

Profile:
Jump into the Zone.
1. if it's fat gain or water gain, Zone will get rid of it
2. your performance will improve
3. your recovery will be better and faster
IMO: leave out the grains and dairy (Paleo version) if possible, it is better
Old 08-09-2007, 09:43 AM   #3
Steven L Blondeau

Profile:
Thirteen pounds in three weeks?

The equation is simple--- Unwanted weight gain equals too much food.

Paleo as an overarching food philosophy is more intuitive then Zone. If you like numbers and micromanagement you might like Zone.

Bottom line-- Eat less. Eat meat, vegetables, a bit of fruit and nuts. No sugar.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:47 AM   #4
Kevin McMillan

Profile:
its called water and unwanted lbs. naturally depending on starting levels and how you eat and workout you can expect no more of your body then a half lb of lean body mass per week... and thats pushing it. even the professional football players who are clean expect only 10-15lbs of lean a year....
Old 08-09-2007, 11:00 AM   #5
Mike Breslin

Profile:
Okay. The Zone/Paleo as rxed. I feel too sloth-like on my current diet of crap food anyway. I think part of the rapid weight gain has to do with how much weight (and strength) I lost at OCS this summer. I just came back, plus some, faster than I had anticipated.

So now I have a further question. I have Enter the Zone, and I am reading it, I also have the CF Journal Issue that breaks down the Zone Barney style. I am still confused as to which block scheme to use. I am a 5'7" fairly muscular guy. I do have more of a stomache that I need or want. Should I use the small male block scheme? I used the charts in the book and it determined that I have 21% body fat, which seems way high to me, but I admit I am a complete novice with regards to the Zone. Again, thank you to all of the people who answer my questions when I post.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:22 AM   #6
Monique T. Ames

Profile:
IMO: go to www.zoneliving.com
You have to register (free)
Then go to the body fat calculator
It will tell you exactly how many blocks
It's dead on accurate
Remember, as you lose weight or measurements change, you'll want to adjust your blocks
Old 08-09-2007, 12:13 PM   #7
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Consider tracking your food intake for a few weeks using Fitday. It's free and pretty accurate.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:15 PM   #8
David Wood

Profile:

You don't mention if you're using creatine . . . if you are, you can assume that a substantial part of your weight gain is water. It will dissipate if and when you stop the creatine.

(If you're not using it, ignore this.)