CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:55 PM   #1
Paul Scott Suliin

Profile:
Well, consistency has taken quite a kick to the head this week. My car was stolen, which has made getting to the gym and going to job interviews complicated. The police found it today, which meant a bunch of running around, going to the tow yard, paying fees, this and that. Only to find that it had been stripped of most anything valuable (including the battery, one headlight, and a valuable toolbag in the trunk).

And to top it all off today was my wife's birthday.

With one thing and another the only workout I've made of the last three was yesterday's C&J's. I don't know how I'd have done it much differently, but at the same time I'm annoyed with myself, with life in general.

grumble
Old 04-04-2007, 09:53 PM   #2
Bill Russell

Profile:
I'm sorry to hear about your day, totally sucks. I ran across this on Frank DiMeo's CrossFit website today, maybe it will help a bit.

cut from Crossfit GulfCoast website
--------------------------------------------

Think you've had a tough day?
Guys like this are giving everything they have keeping you safe!

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/3499/39375.jpg

Frank, I hope you don't mind that I posted your material here.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:18 PM   #3
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Paul - glad you got your car back. Sorry to hear about the miserable annoyance and expense the stinking criminal element of our society causes. I have realigned my outlook on life after having attended a training seminar on the Beslan school shooting. Of the 1,300 or so hostages that were taken some 300 plus, almost 400 were killed some outright, some after being raped and tortured. The most horrific and barbaric event in recent history. After seeing that, all of the niggling little things in life that used to bother me don't move up to my annoyance radar any more. The book "Terror in Beslan" will have a similar effect. I highly recommend you read it.

I'm in Bosnia now and the general human condition here is something less than pleasant. I'm teaching at their police academy and the average cop salary is about $500 a month. One of the academy instructors we have befriended here is a Serb and his girlfriend is a Bosnian Muslim. He was in the war, she wasn't, but he was trying his best to eradicate her very existance during the war. Now they are office mates and more. Strange life over here.

Anyway, I don't mean to make light of your situation at all, I'm sorry for your loss, but cheer up, it does not suck to be you.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:41 PM   #4
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Paul, hope tomorrow is better. *hug*
Old 04-05-2007, 05:46 AM   #5
Ron Fielder

Profile:
I know all about those days, too.
Hope things get better for you.
I am positive that they will.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:17 AM   #6
Jason Billows

Profile:
Paul, sounds like a rough week. Think of it this way though, just how much more stress and frustration would you be feeling were you not Crossfitting on a regular basis? Probably a lot more.

I hope things turn around and you have a great weekend.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:48 PM   #7
Barry Cooper

Profile:
You know, misery is always an opportunity. You're lucky. In what way are you going to generate growth from this? In what way are you going to restructure yourself so as to become wiser?
Old 04-05-2007, 03:43 PM   #8
Chris Frost

Profile:
That sucks! I recently completed a class on Critical Incident Stress and one of the best things that I took from this course was the Stress Survival Strategies:
Aerobic / Heavy exertional exercise
Reduce Caffeine / Alcohol
Eat Healthy Food
Increase Water Intake
1 hour of self-orientation (something that you like to do)

When you are exposed to something that adversley effects your normal routine, your body reacts by dumping hormones into your system to get you through it. Unfortunately, these same hormones can have an adverse effect on your normal function. By exercising, eating healthy and getting plenty of water, you help flush these hormones out of your system quickly. The Crossfit lifestyle fits into this pretty well. Good luck and keep your head up.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:19 PM   #9
Paul Scott Suliin

Profile:
Thanks for the kind words, all. I fear my car was trashed. We're giving what's left of it to charity.

I'll recover. I'm back in the gym today. It's just a little overwhelming all at once, especially since I'm looking for work right now.