CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:12 AM   #1
Jeff Kolehmainen

Profile:
My wife and I are going on a cruise... without our kids!!!!

I'm looking for some ideas for WOD's that could be done on the ship. It has some sort of fitness area, although I'm not sure what kind of equipment they would have. Anyone hace any ideas who has cruised before.

Thanks
Old 03-30-2007, 09:21 AM   #2
Jason Billows

Profile:
Jeff, I used to work on cruise ships. Some have decent gym facilities and others are terrible. However, even the ones that are decent tend to have a lot of cardio equipment, few free weights and a number of machines.

If I were you I'd plan to do workouts that don't require the gym. If you get there and find that the gym is well equipmed for Crossfit it will be a nice surprise, but that is unlikely.

There will probably be plenty of unused deck space for you to do some bodyweight workouts. Check out the upper decks and the lifeboat decks as they are usually less populated with sunbathers.

I'd take a skipping rope with you. Plan to do burpees, push ups, planks, sit ups, squats, and other bodyweight exercises.

I have seen past threads on the forum about exercised to do while traveling. You should be able to find them and get lots of ideas. Last winter I was away for a week and managed to do a solid and unique workout 5 of the 7 days.

If your ship is relatively new they'll probably have "running track". Unfortunately these tracks are usually pretty short and make you feel as if you're running in circles.

Have a great trip!
Old 03-30-2007, 10:06 AM   #3
Jason Needler

Profile:
Jeff, I think planning a few bodyweight routines would definitely work in your favor.

One idea I had, not sure where you're at physically, is handstands: you could practice handstands, or handstand pushups, (either unassisted or against a wall) on a very gently rocking ship to get some hardcore work on your core & stabilizers! :devil:

Just make sure you're not near the edge of the ship ... man overboard!
Old 03-30-2007, 10:07 AM   #4
Jeff Martin

Profile:
N.E.N workouts care of Eva T.
http://skievat.blogspot.com/

(WS/FS)

Go Eva!
Old 03-30-2007, 10:32 AM   #5
Nick Cruz

Profile:
I have just what you need! This is from Crossfit Surf City. Stefan Rochet brought Crossfit with him on HIS cruise. This is his routine.

http://crossfitsurfcity.blogspot.com...high-seas.html

WFS
Old 03-30-2007, 11:16 AM   #6
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
Jeff,
Depends on the cruise line. some are great. I went on a Disney Cruise this past February and the weight room/fitness facilities were great. The only thing lacking was a place to do pull ups and dips. They had rowers, treadmills, dumbells to 50 pounds, and various machines. No barbells, but that's okay. I did thrusters with the 50s. I ended up doing a pull up workout off one of the lower decks (beneath the life boats). It was the running trail as well, so it wasn't too bad.

I did the same cruise last year and gained 12 poinds in 4 nights. This time I only gained 1 pound. That, I believe, had more to do with my increased fitness regime while on ship. Plus 2 hours of snorkelling was great for my large azz.

All the best,
Arden
Old 03-30-2007, 11:18 AM   #7
Justin Algera

Profile:
When my wife and I went on a 7-day cruise to Bermuda last year, we were worried about the workout situation. The on board gym was pretty terrible, however, oddly enough they had a C2 rower and a G-H Developer, plus some dumbells so we made some various workouts using those and of course running and handstands on the deck. You havent crossfitted until you try and do handstand pushups or thrusters on a rocking ship.

Of course this begs the question... When is the crossfit cruise????
Old 03-30-2007, 11:27 AM   #8
Jeff Kolehmainen

Profile:
Great ideas... Hopefully I can keep the pounds off during the 7 days. I'm down about 29 pounds since the holidays so I plan on this being a serious test of my willpower.

Thanks for the advice!!

Jeff
Old 03-30-2007, 12:54 PM   #9
Rob McBee

Profile:
Check out stuff by Ross Enamait - www.rossboxing.com

Tons of ideas for minimal to no equipment situations.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:14 PM   #10
John Seiler

Profile:
Jeff,

When was the last time you took a week off? A good week resting might beat a bad week exercising. If it's been more than three months, that's definitely the route I'd take.

Besides, you'll be without the kids for a week. Perhaps you can think of other ways to occupy your time while getting your heart rate up... :whistling:

(Message edited by john_seiler on March 30, 2007)