CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-03-2007, 03:57 PM   #1
Mike Griffith

Profile:
I am looking for as much information as possible regarding Lung Cancer treatment.

If anyone has had any experience with this or knows something about the experience please send me an email.

Thank you,
Mike
Old 04-04-2007, 11:52 AM   #2
Jason Billows

Profile:
Mike,

My family (as most) has been touched by cancer, but not lung cancer. I assume you are asking because yourself or a family member has been diagnosed. If that's the case I'm sorry to hear it and wish you all the best in beating it.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:50 PM   #3
Adam Noble

Profile:
I reccommend checking out cancer.org (American cancer society's web site). Lot of info on all different types of cancer. The more common the type of cancer, the more information there is available. Mine was particularly rare, and I was still able to find someone to ask questions. Best wishes to whoever is dealing with this.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:54 PM   #4
Mike Griffith

Profile:
Adam & Jason,

Thank you, yes a family member; I have been all over the internet searching for information.

Any little bit of info I can find or pick up may be useful in helping with their recovery. Sometimes others who have dealt with circumstance have insights that are invaluable so I thought I may find someone who has experience in dealing with cancer.

We will continue to gather as much information as possible and move forward with the treatment and recovery process and hope.

Regards,
Mike
Old 04-05-2007, 10:06 AM   #5
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
You are going to be your own best ally in this. You've got to be vigilant and seek out all sorts of resources. One doctor will say one thing, another will say something else, another will say it's near hopeless, while another might say it's no problem.

To give you an idea of the kind of vigilance that I believe improves survival rate, I'd recommend picking up Lance Armstrong's book "It's Not About the Bike". That dude was more determined and seemingly more willing to do anything he possibly could to cure his disease, and he made it. I thikn the doctors initially gave him about a 5% chance to make it. Along the way, one doctor said there's no way he could make it unless he went immediately (like start the next day) through a brutal chemo program, which would end up leaving him all but crippled for the rest of his life. Other doctors had other treatments, etc.

At one point he had seen a few doctors, who had found cancer in certain areas, and he wen to see another doctor, and that doctor knew something that made him look in another area, and they found tumors there too, tumors that would have killed him if they didn't treat them as well.

So basically, pick up the book, and realize that no doctor (unless it's a close family member, and even then maybe not) is going to do the kind of leg work that you're willing to do, and is required to boost the survival rate and keep your family member alive.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:49 AM   #6
Andy Shirley

Profile:
Any number they give you is gonna be a best guess. In Matt's example above, even with a 95% chance of not making it, five people out of 100 will make it. The odds are based on experience, and are generally accurate at the population level, but at the individual level anything is possible.

No doctor is omniscient, but most will do everything they can to help the patient have the best outcome possible. Some doctors are a$$holes. Do your reasearch, ask questions.

Good luck!
Old 04-06-2007, 07:44 AM   #7
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Go to www.CancerDecisions.com w/f safe and order a report on the specific type of cancer you are dealing with.

Ralph Moss accumulates all of the data on different treatments (alternative and conventional) and approaches and compiles them for you. If you wish to be fully informed, this is the best way to go IMO.

I do know that the Cancer Treatment Centers of America strongly integrate proven "alternative" methods with conventional ones, even utilizing naturopathic physicians (mainly for nutritional concerns).
Old 04-07-2007, 04:36 PM   #8
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
What kind of lung cancer, specifically? Chemotherapy's indications depend on the type of lung cancer.

There are other things definitely worth looking into:

-Sugar restriction (cancer cells use glucose as energy)
-Insulion potentiation therapy
-Intraveinous vitamin C

Experimental treatment that has been promising in animals: dichloroacetate

Regardless of the kind of cancer; you want to optimize the body's immune and hormonal systems. Cancer is a race between it and the body.

There are literally a ton of options out there. I personally suggest getting multiple opinions. Your best bet are probably anti-aging physicians who will know about conventional and complementary treatments.

Hope that helps a little.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:30 PM   #9
Mike Griffith

Profile:
Thanks to you all for replying,

Matt, I agree we have been to several appointments and have gotten mixed responses. I am doing as much research as possible; I am developing a note book with the information in it. I take it to all appointments.

Andy, I agree the first guy we went to “could have cared less if we were there or not”. I know a good bedside manner isn’t always necessary but I hope we can find a competent doctor that also has a presence that we feel good about.

Garrett, it is funny that you responded to this thread, I was going to send you an email for some recommendations on nutritional adjustments we should consider. I know you will need more info so I will pm you if that is ok.

Paul, it is Non Small Lung Cancer within that category it is Large Cell Carcinoma. Yes we are exploring conventional treatment, clinical trials, and other possibilities (which there are many). Thanks for the three leads I did not know that about the sugar and I will look into the other two.

Regards,
Mike